Mild/moderate acne?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do derms treat mild to moderate acne? I understand the prescription antibiotics and creams but do you guys ever take a non drug approach and just tell the patient to wash face more or with a specific kind of soap or stop touching there hands to their face or something like that? Or is the standard response to put them on doxy? I'm a pretty ignorant M1 so I'm just looking for insight as to what the standard of care is for mild acne as opposed to severe where I understand the reason for doxy, accutane, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Members don't see this ad :)
A helpful response would be nice?

Reading the TOS would be nicer.

Go ask your friendly neighborhood dermatologist. Extremely thinly veiled requests for medical advice are prohibited.

Reading the TOS would be nicer.

Go ask your friendly neighborhood dermatologist. Extremely thinly veiled requests for medical advice are prohibited.

You want me to get an appointment with a dermatologist even though I have no acne so I can ask him a purely academic question? Lol that makes sense...someone who actually likes teaching others can hopefully answer this question or at least provide some insight into why people are spending millions on cosmetic products to prevent acne while derms are taking a completely different approach and starting with antibiotics.

Last edited:
You want me to get an appointment with a dermatologist even though I have no acne so I can ask him a purely academic question? Lol that makes sense...someone who actually likes teaching others can hopefully answer this question or at least provide some insight into why people are spending millions on cosmetic products to prevent acne while derms are taking a completely different approach and starting with antibiotics.

Read this module if you want the answer.

https://www.aad.org/education/basic-derm-curriculum/suggested-order-of-modules/acne-and-rosacea

It's the party line from the AAD on acne and how you ramp up therapy based on how severe the acne is, including MILD acne.

It's close but I'm gonna go ahead and jump in before the lock

OP, we are gonna need a pic of your face to prove that you don't have acne and you aren't asking personal medical advice

It's close but I'm gonna go ahead and jump in before the lock

OP, we are gonna need a pic of your face to prove that you don't have acne and you aren't asking personal medical advice

How am I asking for personal medical advice??? I'm asking about why people are spending money on things that are like lotions and creams and soaps while derms just prescribe like antiobiotics and dont even talk about changing your face routine at all. Like there are lots of youtube channels with people with perfect skin talking about products they use and their face "regimine" but it seems derms dont discuss that at all and just say take doxy or prescription creams, etc

You want me to get an appointment with a dermatologist even though I have no acne so I can ask him a purely academic question? Lol thanks for nothing....
How am I asking for personal medical advice??? I'm asking about why people are spending money on things that are like lotions and creams and soaps while derms just prescribe like antiobiotics and dont even talk about changing your face routine at all. Like there are lots of youtube channels with people with perfect skin talking about products they use and their face "regimine" but it seems derms dont discuss that at all and just say take doxy or prescription creams, etc

Because we want our patients to get better.

If a 8' tall man made a YouTube video telling you that hanging upside down for an hour each day would make you as tall as him, would you believe him?

If a 8' tall man made a YouTube video telling you that hanging upside down for an hour each day would make you as tall as him, would you believe him?

Ha. I seriously pray for my future medical care that the OP is not a M1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

No...but if he told me something more believeable like he drank a specific supplement or something then a layperson might. That's what I'm asking, are all of those lotions and stuff scams or is it important to have a good skin care regimine and moisturize, and do all the other stuff they talk about.

Ha. I seriously pray for my future medical care that the OP is not a M1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Asking questions is not a bad thing, whether you're a student or a gray haired attending. Don't try to disparage me for asking something I'm not sure about. Also, I can disparage you as well since your loved ones are probably embarrassed to tell people you're a doctor and when they ask what kind they have to say derm, also known as a pimple popper to most. lol

Asking questions is not a bad thing, whether you're a student or a gray haired attending. Don't try to disparage me for asking something I'm not sure about. Also, I can disparage you as well since your loved ones are probably embarrassed to tell people you're a doctor and when they ask what kind they have to say derm, also known as a pimple popper to most. lol

You're not going to ingratiate yourself here at all with those kinds of insults.

You come on here and whine like a little tittybaby that we won't spoon feed you medical advice, then you throw a little fit when you don't get your way.

Back under the bridge you go.

You're not going to ingratiate yourself here at all with those kinds of insults.

You come on here and whine like a little tittybaby that we won't spoon feed you medical advice, then you throw a little fit when you don't get your way.

Back under the bridge you go.

Lol, I hit a nerve I see. Sorry, I can understand how frustrating it can be to not be respected for working so hard to get into something as competitive as derm. Hopefully you can make peace with your decision. See ya.

Lol, I hit a nerve I see. Sorry, I can understand how frustrating it can be to not be respected for working so hard to get into something as competitive as derm. Hopefully you can make peace with your decision. See ya.

Bye Felicia.

Closing thread.

It is against the TOS to ask for medical advice

Feel free to consult your professors as to why Medicine A is used for acne as opposed to Medicine B.

You are free to think whatever you like about our field but you'll also find it is against the TOS to come to our forum and pick a fight by denigrating our field. Tread lightly.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.