Military and Pre-Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Talisker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in DEP with the US army and was looking for answers to some questions about online schools.

Are online schools frowned upon in the pharmacy world?

If not any good recommendations?

I have asked in the military sub form they all said I should ask here.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in DEP with the US army and was looking for answers to some questions about online schools.

Are online schools frowned upon in the pharmacy world?

If not any good recommendations?

I have asked in the military sub form they all said I should ask here.

Thanks

Ah, DEP! I remember it well, back in 2003! What MOS?

Anyway, you can definitely fill out general education crap with eArmyU, but pretty much every lab class should be done in person. I have no doubt at all that there are quality lab classes online somewhere, but I have heard whispers of them throughout the halls here at UoP and yea, they are frowned upon. Mind you, I'm a huge proponent of community colleges and such, so don't get me wrong. The real core of our education in the health sciences is derived from know-how regarding bio and chem. It'd behoove you not to shortcut those.

To square yourself away properly, take your science classes at a brick and mortar institution (Chem, Bio, OChem, A&P, etc). I'd recommend not taking Calculus online, but I'm awful at math, and needed the hands-on office hours to figure a lot of it out. If you're a math wiz, then take it online.

Lastly, remember some things for BCT and beyond:

1. Ain't no point in looking down, ain't no discharge on the ground.
2. Tuck your shirt into your underwear - You'll thank me later.
3. HOOAH LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

Welcome :)

Ah, DEP! I remember it well, back in 2003! What MOS?

Anyway, you can definitely fill out general education crap with eArmyU, but pretty much every lab class should be done in person. I have no doubt at all that there are quality lab classes online somewhere, but I have heard whispers of them throughout the halls here at UoP and yea, they are frowned upon. Mind you, I'm a huge proponent of community colleges and such, so don't get me wrong. The real core of our education in the health sciences is derived from know-how regarding bio and chem. It'd behoove you not to shortcut those.

To square yourself away properly, take your science classes at a brick and mortar institution (Chem, Bio, OChem, A&P, etc). I'd recommend not taking Calculus online, but I'm awful at math, and needed the hands-on office hours to figure a lot of it out. If you're a math wiz, then take it online.

Lastly, remember some things for BCT and beyond:

1. Ain't no point in looking down, ain't no discharge on the ground.
2. Tuck your shirt into your underwear - You'll thank me later.
3. HOOAH LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

Welcome :)

Thank you for the advice. I am going in as a 15 romeo I know aviation right. Well I hope I can find out if I am able to take classes at a community college when I get to my duty station.

Did you get your degree while you were in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. I am going in as a 15 romeo I know aviation right. Well I hope I can find out if I am able to take classes at a community college when I get to my duty station.

Did you get your degree while you were in?

Most line-units will be OK with night classes @ CCs, and usually if it's a CC near a base, they'll be understanding of the unique time constraints on a Soldier's life, etc, so definitely do so. My wife finished some CC work when we were at Fort Hood and she said the facilities and instruction were fantastic.

I completed a Master's in Middle Eastern Studies in the Army through American University, but my Baccalaureate education was done prior to my enlistment. I was a 35M (Used to be 97E) so I made my own schedule most of the time in garrison. I'm not sure how aviation is, but it can't be worse than the life of a 20-series, and several of my 20-series friends went to CCs on off-duty hours (Nights, weekends). eArmyU is pretty damn awesome for GE though. And DON'T DO DANTES/CLEP!!!! That stuff's bad news. Hard right > easy wrong. You'll hear that a lot.

Thank you very much helps out a lot. I will look into it at my first duty station when I get there.

I'll second what P4Sci said. I was able to get about a year and a half of "real" college credits done while in the service, and then I got out and attended a CC for two years to do all of my pharmacy pre-reqs.

My particular job didn't allow sailors to pursue college (unofficial policy, but enforced) during their first year or so on the ship, and our first two years in the Navy were spent in training. It's a definite YMMV scenario.

My AS's are from a brick-and-mortar school, but I have a BS from a distance learning institution that was ranked highly on the "military friendly" list. If you want to go that route, I'd look at Thomas Edison State University and Excelsior College.

It's all about what you can handle. Give yourself time to get through basic and onto your first post-training duty station where you'll really learn your job. Once you're comfortable, start signing up for courses. My last six months in the Navy, I was taking 18 credits through a local college by taking courses in person and online.