Military Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1057601

Hey everyone. I just graduated from college with B.S in psychology this May, and I am taking a gap year. I realized that I wanted to go into the military. I cannot decide if I want to go in now, or apply for medical school then go into the military. Has anyone done this? Do I need to wait and then go in? Will this help me?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do both at the same time, or one after the other. It really depends a lot on your financial situation. If I had a full ride scholarship or my parents were paying my way, I would go to med school first and then take a direct commission. If money is a problem, you can do HPSP.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone. I just graduated from college with B.S in psychology this May, and I am taking a gap year. I realized that I wanted to go into the military. I cannot decide if I want to go in now, or apply for medical school then go into the military. Has anyone done this? Do I need to wait and then go in? Will this help me?
You can do both at the same time, or one after the other. It really depends a lot on your financial situation. If I had a full ride scholarship or my parents were paying my way, I would go to med school first and then take a direct commission. If money is a problem, you can do HPSP.
More on this: if you join after med school, you can do a program called FAP where you go to a civ residency and they pay (I think) 45k per year of residency to help with med school debt. Additionally, you can join after residency and get a huge chunk of change as a sign-on bonus (def enough to cover a reasonable amount of debt, clear out). This is called direct accession; the sign-on bonus for an orthopedic surgeon straight out of residency is ~$320,000 in the Navy for example (per my recruiter 2 yrs ago). In any case, you should be able to cover your debt, the question is just the payback on your contract for each program (don't discount IRR time too).

I advise these post-med school programs versus joining before because of the difficulty of choosing a residency if already in the military, the obligations to the military while in school and the payback is greater through HPSP.

Reactions: 1 user
If you join first, you will incur a service commitment and will need to train. If you go active duty, you will delay med school for 4 years. If you go reserve, you're giving up 2+ years as you will need to training first as well as attend your MOS/job training school, during which you would not be able to interview, hence why 2 years is the minimum (training year, and then application year). If this option was taken, you'd begin med school after 2 years are complete, but would have 4 years of reserve service remaining, lasting the during of medical school. You would lose 1 weekend per month for training which would affect you with school and exams and is not ideal by any means.

You can do med school first, and then choose to enlist/commission after directly. There are some programs available to do this during residency, otherwise it would be after residency.

You can do both at the same time via HPSP where you would be commissioned up front, training during summers, and apply for the military match. You're technically serving during this time, but not really other than summer training. Then if you match in the military, youre residency would be while active duty. There are cases where you can do the civilian match where you'd enter the same match as everyone else, but you'd be "inactive" during residency, and your active service obligation would be deferred for after residency when you'd then be active duty.

If you'd like anything clarified, let me know or any one else who has commented know!

Reactions: 1 user