Military before Optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

deleted1057601

Hey everyone. I am a prospective optometry student, I graduated this May and taking a gap year. During these past few months I decided that I want to join the military. My end goal is become a military Optometrist Has anyone joined the military before they went to Optometry school? If so, would you recommend it? Would it be best if I waited, and then went in the military after I finished optometry school?

Members don't see this ad.

We had "Airforce Dave" in my class who flew helicopters in Kuwait in my class. You can do whatever you want, but if you become a doctor first, you'll have an officer status pay-grade and likely can get your years of school paid for by applying to a military scholarship.

Talk to a recruiter to see what works best financially for you, but otherwise there are no other advantages/disadvantages.

Members don't see this ad :)
By far the best bang for the buck is the HPSP program.
Must be accepted at an optometry school to qualify.
They will pay for almost everything & you are a Captain on your first day.

I came out of optometry school debt free, did 3 years of active duty & 5 years in the reserves.
Great program if military service is your goal. Do it for the $$$ & you'll be miserable.

Reactions: 1 user
I joined the Air Force Reserves my sophomore year of college as an aircraft mechanic (for extra money, school benefits, etc,). It's one of the best decisions by far, but if you've already graduated college it makes no sense to enlist. You should commission as an optometrist, the service requirement is a minimum of 3 years active duty. The officer and enlisted life are very different, but if you've already got your degree and want to become an optometrist it makes no sense to enlist.

By far the best bang for the buck is the HPSP program.
Must be accepted at an optometry school to qualify.
They will pay for almost everything & you are a Captain on your first day.

I came out of optometry school debt free, did 3 years of active duty & 5 years in the reserves.
Great program if military service is your goal. Do it for the $$$ & you'll be miserable.
For this program, do you have to be extremely in shape? I am healthy weight and size and would love to serve my country, but I am unsure of how much "military" it is because your first job is to be their optometrist correct?

For this program, do you have to be extremely in shape? I am healthy weight and size and would love to serve my country, but I am unsure of how much "military" it is because your first job is to be their optometrist correct?

You still have to meet all the same physical fitness requirements as everyone else. There's no medical professional physical fitness test vs combat arms physical fitness test.

I think the best possible way you could do is speak directly to the POC so that you would know your options.