military guy/ What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rblessin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
White Male
CGPA: 3.75
SGPA: 3.71
Haven't taken MCAT yet expecting 30+

Extra circulars:
-Non Commissoned officer in the USMC (have been in for 4 years and I am in charge of a squad of 10 men with a deployment to Africa)
-500 hours of volunteer work with the salvation army
- Purple belt in Brazilian Jujitsu. Won the North American Grappling Association Northeastern championship in June 2011 and came in 3rd in December 2011.
-Volunteered in marine corps toys for tots program in december 2011 (30 hours)
-Teachers assiant for physics
-Physics tutor
-Volunteer fireman
-250 Hours of physician shadowing
-Hurricane Irene relief effort with the New York Naval Militia Aug 30th- Sept 4th 2011
-Snowboard Instructor
- Research Paper on Dinoflagellates
- Have participated in two separate research projects in hospitals regarding surgical delays
- Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor

Members don't see this ad.

White Male

Extra circulars:
-Non Commissoned officer in the USMC (have been in for 4 years and I am in charge of a squad of 10 men with a deployment to Africa)
- Purple belt in Brazilian Jujitsu. Won the North American Grappling Association Northeastern championship in June 2011 and came in 3rd in December 2011.
-Physics tutor
-Volunteer fireman
-Hurricane Irene relief effort with the New York Naval Militia Aug 30th- Sept 4th 2011
-Snowboard Instructor
- Have participated in two separate research projects in hospitals regarding surgical delays

Only thing I can think of to add is maybe some more clinical volunteering. Rest looks good assuming your mcat is up to par. Apply early and broadly.

White Male

Extra circulars:
-Physics tutor
-Volunteer fireman
-Snowboard Instructor

Semper fi Marine, the military career will help you a lot combined with a decent GPA. Make sure that when you prep for the MCAT to give it your all. A score > 30 will definitely get you a couple interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
White Male

Extra circulars:
-Physics tutor
-Volunteer fireman
-Snowboard Instructor
Is there any chance some of that shadowing could be considered clinical volunteering due to your assisting in some way via directly interacting with the patient?

No i don't think so but I am going to do some clinical volunteering soon

I am not applying until spring 2013 but i contacted my hospital and got a clinical volunteering job moving patients... do you have any other suggesstions

I am not applying until spring 2013 but i contacted my hospital and got a clinical volunteering job moving patients... do you have any other suggesstions
I am glad to hear that, as the average applicant lists about 1.5 years of clinical experience. Transporting patients is an excellent experience, provided you talk to them.

Otherwise, I think you'll have a terrific application. be sure to include other Hobbies and Artistic Endeavors. And list all the leadership and medals from the service that are meaningful.

questin: how big of a help do you think me being a marine will be if i have good stats?

haha well thats good what are lizzy m points?