Military Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jodi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any information about the military medical school. I'm guessing that it is very difficult to get into and am currently trying to do so or at least I hope to start the process next semester. If anyone knows what they look for as far as degrees, grades, etc, are concerned I would really appreciate it if you could give me some kind of heads up. Thank you very much.

------------------
Jodi

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there Jodi,

As far as I know, there is only one "military med school" which is the Uniformed Services (long name, can't remember it all).... You can always join the military by doing their scholarship (HPSP).

Is being a military physician really your goal? Or are you just doing it for financial reasons?

The requirement is like any other medical school you're applying for. Well, just my 2cents.... Search the forum and you'll find more information (more than you asked for), I'm sure....

P

Thank you for your help, honestly. Actually I am on an ROTC scholarship and have always wanted to be a doctor. I was just trying to get some more info from people that have gone through it, military or otherwise.

------------------
Jodi

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending the school your talking about begining this fall. The name of the school is Uniformed Service University of the Health Sciences, or USUHS for short. I had no prior military experience and was quite surprised with I received an interview with them.

As far as degrees go I don't think it matters as long as you graduate with a B.A or B.S. If I remember correctly Biology had the highest percentage followed by Engineering and Chemistry.

Grade's and MCAT's are the same as most schools......these may fluctuate from year to year but last time I checked Average GPA: 3.5 Average MCAT: 10's.

Here is the web page: www.usuhs.mil

Good luck. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

I was also a ROTC cadet, and I looked at USUHS as well. You would probably be a shoe-in for an HPSP scholarship, so I wouldn't worry much about funding for medical school. It'll be covered some way or another.

What I WOULD worry about, however, is getting in. Since you are scholarship ROTC, you will be commissioned immediately after your last semester and given your orders to OBC. You can try to get an ed-delay when you fill out your accession packet, but the chances of getting one without an acceptance letter from a med school are slim. I tried for a delay when I accessed, and put down medical service corps as my second choice-- I didn't get the delay, but I was accepted to a medical school the following spring. So, with my acceptance letter in hand, I filled out the 3 or 4 forms needed to request approval for an educational delay to attend medical school-- mine went through about 3 weeks before I was scheduled for OBC. It was an interesting and stressful process, but it worked out for the best. Lemme know if you have any other questions..

take it easy

homonculus

One warning about UHUHS, since all of the people who graduate from there must do a military residency, there's a greater chance of getting a residency in a field that you don't want since you must match. Just my two cents.
-an HPSP student

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by JANPLME:
One warning about UHUHS, since all of the people who graduate from there must do a military residency, there's a greater chance of getting a residency in a field that you don't want since you must match. Just my two cents.
-an HPSP student

But you can opt to work as a flight surgeon etc. for a time (up to 3 years which counts back toward your payback)after internship if you don't get the residency you desire, and then reapply for the residency you want at a later time. Of course the military has its needs and certain residencies may be harder to come by depending on this need, but I don't think you are "forced" into doing something you don't want to do. There are more options than that.

And what about the private sector? Do you always get the residency you want no matter what? I don't think so. Just as there are needs in the private sector, there are needs in the military, which could almost be considered a microcosm of the overall healthcare sector. Supply and demand baby.

[This message has been edited by Gumbydammit (edited April 25, 2001).]

Thank you all for your help. I don't remember who mentioned it but my goal is to be a flight surgeon so hopefully I'll get in and become one. Thanks again.