Military OneSource

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flightdoc09

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone actually been successful with using this resource? In any capacity, but especially for mental health? The line we're sold in ODS and by all the higher ups (that likely never actually used it) is that they'll help you with your taxes, they offer you up to 3 or 6 counseling/therapy sessions in town, there was one operator that talked a guy through how to cook a turkey on Thanksgiving, and all this other rainbows and butterflies. But everything that I'm hearing from people that actually called it recently asking for help is that they will do a safety check and either send them to the ER, or tell them to go talk to their chaplain.

I'm sure the government is paying a pretty penny for this service, and I don't think it's getting its money's worth out of it.

Anyone had better experiences with it? Or their service members had good experiences? If it's not doing what it's supposed to, I'm sure there's a contract somewhere that they're in violation of. Sometimes you have to break things to make them better.
 
I used them back around 2020 when I was going through a rough time with work and personal life. They helped me with some free phone discussions. I've not used them for anything else, but in 2020 they did help me.

My guess is maybe just short on employees. Mental health providers are short everywhere due to lack of staffing and increased demand. COVID really messed mental health up for a lot of people.