Military pay and loan payback.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnytrama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh and yeah to Desperado,

Even if you are making 230,000 a year outside of the military, once you take away fees for malpractice, medical insurance, taxes etc . . . you really don't make that much.

And if you are trying to pay back around $200,000.00 in loans, including compounding interest, and the fact that most of you will have families to support by then etc. . . this will take you the better part of the next 10-15 years to pay back. The math doesn't lie.

However if you do HPSP, you have NO LOANS to pay back except for any personal loans you take out for yourself. And those you CAN pay back in not time. (2-4 years).

I hope this helps.

V/r

LT QUIKO

Members don't see this ad.

i hope you remember this when you are working in some clinic while your skills atrophy and you are making the big bucks. the math may not lie but a lot of the people you talk to do.
-p

I don't plan to let me skills atrophy. I've been in the Navy medicine world for 9 years now and I know it in and out. I can tell you that those who "let their skills atrophy" just aren't willing to do what it takes to keep them sharp.

There are plenty of ways to keep your skills up, like volunteering some of your time in the ER or go the big hospital and spend some time in the OR etc. . . .

I've seen plenty of people do it, it's not easy mind you and it does take sacrifice, however they get what they put into it.

Also I would challenge you to find any majority of military physicians that are POST residency that would tell you that their skills are languishing. I think it's more true with the GMO's however I see little of that phenomenon occuring in those individuals that are POST residency. They are almost always put in a utilization tour, where their specific skills they just learned are put to work.

I hope you don't think I'm lying about this, and I'm sorry if you've met people who did lie to you. I try not to associate myself with those individuals because they cause confusion, hate and discontent and harbor ill feelings much like the ones you have developed for what I'm sure are good reasons.

If they lie, they're just lying to themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
-and there are plenty of post-residency military docs who do not feel their skill set is not being used. i certainly doubt it is the majority but it is too common.

however, the entire point (which i did not make clear in my brevity) is that joining the military for money does not make sense on so many levels. when i see i post like yours i just wonder when you get this info from? but honestly, i now do not even feel like making the augrument because if you think it makes any sense, as the post implies, we are at such different places in life.

i truly beleive that most people who make this mistake (joining mainly for money) will figure it out and will most likely have a good experience overall. in your case, i doubt you did it for the money, since you have prior military time. but - you really should leave the calculations aside as you know there is so much more to it than that. some will take those calculations to mean the joining is some financial wonderland- that it is not.

anyway- i will not waste any more time on this one and i hope people who consider the hpsp or any military obligation forget the money and remember- service before self! yeah -they will pay you but for most people it will not match private practice. in addition, the bank will never send you to kandahar- and that is when you will need to remember service before self. most people do not have a problem with this but i know plenty of people who joined for the money and now they are bitter because for the most part the silly spread sheets they made up as first year med students did not have a line for "other". just one person experience....
-p

i did not make it clear- the military was good to me and continues to be- so i think i was more negative about the whole money issue and not the military- sorry that i was not clear on that. i ignored the money mainly because i knew enough docs in private practice but i was amazed at friends who did not. anyway-
-p

Those of us who have served in the military know there are a variety of reasons to do so. But money is not one of those reasons. Whoever thinks they'll be financially ahead of civilian counterparts should find a new accountant. There's a higher calling in here that makes up the difference, at least for me.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight--nothing which is more important than his own personal safety--is a miserable creature. And has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." Major General John M. Schofield's quote.

For those who remember fast, neat, average, friendly, good, good, did I get it right after all these years????

Okay this is the last time I'm going to post on this particualr string. When I posted this it was a mistake and it was meant to be a reply to another string, and if it was read in its context it would have made much more sense.

I realize the military is not the place to make money. Anyone who is contemplating joining for just that reason and that reason alone is not only silly, but probably dillusional. I agree with all of you on that count.

I realize service before self, and I have very strong personal reasons involving self sacrifice and service to my country for joining much like yourselves. When I speak to prospective medical students at my presentations at universities about the HPSP scholarship, I make it very clear, "IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN SACRIFICING FOR YOUR COUNTRY, DO NOT CONSIDER JOINING". So again I agree.

I also know some post residency docs who feel their skill set is not used to it's fullest capacity, and though they are in the minority, they still have opportunities (and many have capitalized on this) to go out and moonlight. So again I agree with you.

The point I was trying to make was to another person who was already a prior service Marine, who had around 10 years time in service and was contemplating HPSP. Desperado chimed in and said that he felt it would be more financially more sound to not take the HPSP scholarship and pay off the $250,000.00 in loans once you get done with residency in a couple of years.

You and I both know that's not really possible and continue to maintain any sort of quality of life if you have a family of any significant size.

So I disagreed with him, on multiple layers in the case of the Marine. Assuming that you are joining the military for the right reasons (as all three of us implied in our strings) then the military option for residency is really the way to go I think. You have a solid and rewarding quality of life, you get to serve your country, and do those things you were trained to do. and you do get paid MUCH more than your civilian counterparts. You can then get out after you've paid your obligation and open up your own practice. Now you have another start on your career with minimum indebtedness. I think it's a win win situation, (for someone who has their heart in the right place when the join the military in the first place). I'm an ER guy so the military is really the best spot for me, however I agree it is not so with everyone.

I realize and agree with what you say about joining the military for financial reasons, sorry if I implied that. If you only ready my opening string without the background of the other strings I can see how you would misinterpret my original meaning.

Sorry for the confusion, I think we're all on the same page here. And yes I do have an accountant and they agree with me as well that military residency (financially is the way to go, assuming what I said above, and assuming that you get out after your obligated service and start making the big bucks on the outside with a minimum of indebtedness).

Nice quote by the way, I like that. It strikes very close to home!!

HOOYAH.

Thanks for keeping me straight guys.

jnytrama- No worries! I wasn't trying to blast you. In my own mind, I think I was directing my comments more towards those who are civilian doctors who just happen to wear a blue uniform to work (or BDUs or khakis or whatever). My situation is like the Marine you described. Hopefully, I'll get a military residency so that time will count toward retirement. So, by the time I'm done with my payback, I'll retire with 20 years in and can start making some $ in the civilian world.

No worries. Thanks again for the input thought, I totally agree with you. Where are you applying for residency?

Nice quote, Heeed...I'm soon to become an alumni of General Schofield myself (USMA Class of '08). I'll be going for a Medical School slot, in case anyone is wondering why I'm here... :D

aznwangsta

While joining for the money is absolutely a bad idea, understanding our compensation is not. We are paid quite well in all but the most lucrative specialties, especially if you consider the value of a retirement and the fact the money early in life is worth more. A O6 retirement at 24 years is about a $1million annuity.
The reason we need to understand this is that people separate all the time, only to discover that the grass wasn't greener. I bet everyone on this thread can think of military docs who left and then returned to military practice.

We are paid quite well in all but the most lucrative specialties, especially if you consider the value of a retirement and the fact the money early in life is worth more. A O6 retirement at 24 years is about a $1million annuity.

Let's consider two docs in the same specialty. One will retire at 24 years as an O6. The other will serve his 4 years and get out and make $200,000/yr (arbitrary amount). After 20 years of working making $200,000+, I think the civilian will be far ahead of the O6. The civilian gets his money "early" vs. the O6's $1 million annuity "later."

Strictly speaking financially, it doesn't make sense for someone to join the military and serve until retirement. I'm almost half-way to retirement so I think I'll end up breaking even at the end of 20 years' service. But I think the numbers play out better if someone does their payback and separates.

Disclaimer: calculations performed via aviator math.:cool:

The math is a little more complicated. You have to determine what its worth to be paid earlier and how long you have until retirement(the effects of compounding interest if you are able to save $). In my case, (and that of any USU grad, prior service individual or ROTC/Academy+HPSP) I will be well over 1/2 way to retirement before I can make the decision. I have to believe that I would save the equivalent of a Navy retirement + health care for life for my wife and I in 7 years. So, lets say I was making $200000 AFTER taxes, malpractice, etc on the outside and you subtract the amount I would have made as a Navy doc (say $70000 after taxes), you are left with a $130000 difference. Over 7 years, this works out to almost $1 million.

I'm not saying military medicine is better compensated than civilian, just that its better compensated than people appreciate.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me the greatest value of my military retirement will not be the actual monetary amount, but the fact that I'll have an independent source of income so when I start my practice in the civilian world monetary considerations will be less of an intrusion on what I choose to do. I would very much like to practice medicine and not be a reimbursement *****.

mdf

USUHS 2007

It is important to talk to many miliatry doctors to talk about their life as military physicians. Most military docs I talked to are eagered to retire and did not enjoy the military life for various reasons. Most of them are USUHS grads/ROTC who "had" to stay in and worked as a "government *****" for fifteen plus years..far worse than reimbursement *****. I think USUHS grads have to become selfless/paztriotic?! to justify their reasons to stay in the military when in fact they already made the reason when they choose to attend the military medical school.

Government *****???

Reimbursement *****??

Those are strong words my friend.

As for USU grads being selfless and PATRIOTIC, yes they are. Most military members you meet are.

As for meeting many military docs that leave disgruntled, or are eager to retire, I don't doubt that.

Though I'm sure there are just as many if not MORE military docs that have opposing opinions and have enjoyed their military experience.

As for being a "*****" if anyone stays in ANY organization that believe is PROSTITUTING them, well . . . and the stupid shall be punished. The perception of being a "*****" is subjective. NO ONE is made to stay on Active Duty until they retire, if they stay that long, it's because the CHOOSE to. For whatever the reason, they make that conscious choice. So I take offense to your or their description of their characterization of service.

Maybe I'm overreacting to your posting, if so sorry. The others can weigh in on me, I'm pretty good about taking criticism.

Hey guys, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU, and to those servicemembers who finally caught Saddam Hussein!

JT

My comments were a repsonse to the denali's post about civilian's doc being reimbursement #$%^. So take it easy and read the all the comments, please.
I spent 4 years in military service and I encountered many military docs who are very unhappy about their times in the military. Just because someone choose to retire doesn't mean he or she was patriotic or happy. For example I knew one military academy graduate who went to USUHS and had to serve for at least 12 years. He has to "serve" his country not because he wants to but he has to... He personally told me not to accept USUHS's offer.
Too many times patriotic comments are made by idealistic people who never truly experienced a difficult time in the military. If you can stay satisfied about missing births of your children for the third time because you had to follow senseless deployment order then you are military person. If you can follow and excute the really bad orders (you despise) from your commanding officer who never set a foot in the medical school then you are a military person. If you are happy about being pay equally to others who are just going thru motion then you are military person.
I met countless regular military officers who were unhappy about leading and babysitting immature, uneducated, unmotivated young troops into the field training exercise. And the irony is that he is "serving' because he cannot adjust to the civilain life. Sadly this is the case for many military people. I remember as my former non-commisioned officer told me, "You are paid for losing many of your basic rights as U.S. citizens."
Blind patriotism cannot cure solve problems in the military. Acceptance will.

haujun, it sounds to me the physicians you had contact with were studid. If they didn't think about the commitment required to attend USUHS, then they're not the sharpest tools in the shed, if you know what I mean. I've had nearly 13 years experience in the AF and followed my share of "senseless deployment orders" (as you call them). Good thing there's still a few of us willing to follow those "senseless deployment orders", otherwise Saddam might still be a terrorist threat.

I agree. Anyone that pursues a medical education at USUHS should be willing to devote a great deal of time to service. If physicians that graduated from there are unhappy about their service obligation, then said individuals did not thoroughly and carefully consider what attending USU entails. I will gladly stay on active duty once my service obligation for the HPSP has been repaid. I have served my country before med school, and I intend to stay in and retire. I am patriotic... I believe that those people that serve our nation deserve excellent healthcare, and I know that I can provide them just that.

Some people will always complain despite any situation that they find themselves in. I would be wary of these people. Negativity is sometimes contagious. Besides, as physicians we should all be responsible adults and citizens... responsible for our communities and for our own wellbeing and state of mind.

Research alternatives. Decide on a course of action. Commit to giving 100%. Be aware that things will not always go as planned. Adapt. Above all, happiness is a choice. Choose it.

Air Force Core Values- excellence, integrity, service before self. If you cannot abide by these principles, then military service is probably not for you.

Cyndi

Thanks Heeed!, Cdreed for backing me up.

Haujun,

It's like I said before in my first posting, if you graduated from HPSP or USU and are unhappy with the military and you STILL stayed in to retire . . . "And the Stupid Shall Be Punished".

If for one have worked in civilian medicine for the past 9 years while still working in the military on Active Duty as an ER Trauma Nurse.

I've seen doctors come and go. I've also met doctors that were unhappy and happy.

You said: "I spent 4 years in military service and I encountered many military docs who are very unhappy about their times in the military. Just because someone choose to retire doesn't mean he or she was patriotic or happy"

I though have YET to meet a doctor that stayed in the Navy because he/she felt they were FORCED to retire. And if I did meet one and they told me they weren't happy but were going to stay in anyway just to retire, I'd tell them to their face that they were not making the right decision.

You said: "Too many times patriotic comments are made by idealistic people who never truly experienced a difficult time in the military"

I've spent 10 years in, I have experienced the military in it's best and ugliest form. I've experienced it at Sea, in the desert, overseas, in the cold, under fire, . . . am I still idealistic and patriotic? You bet I am! I probably wouldn't be as patriotic and idealistic if it weren't for those experiences.

You said: "If you can stay satisfied about missing births of your children for the third time because you had to follow senseless deployment order then you are military person. If you can follow and excute the really bad orders (you despise) from your commanding officer who never set a foot in the medical school then you are a military person. If you are happy about being pay equally to others who are just going thru motion then you are military person. I met countless regular military officers who were unhappy about leading and babysitting immature, uneducated, unmotivated young troops into the field training exercise. "

Though I cannot speak for all the Navy docs in the world, I can speak for many that I know personally. They make those same sacrifices you mention PROUDLY and because they know they are serving the greater good. They are part of something greater than themselves. That's not to say that missing the birth of their child is to be taken lightly. It's not. It never is. Are military physicians happy about following and executing "the really bad orders"? Of course not. But do they do it because it serves a greater purpose? Of course! Are military physicians happy about being paid equally to others who are just going through the motions? Does it matter? Most Military Docs that I know don't care about how others perform, they care about how THEY serve their patients. The compensation in the military is fair and allows for a comfortable life style. NO ONE joins to get rich. Are military physicians happy about leading and babysitting immature and uneducated, unmotivated your troops into battle? YES. Why you ask? THAT MY FRIEND, is the burden and challenge of LEADERSHIP. Too many times have I faced that exact scenario, and each time I endeavor to motivate them, educate them, and mature them through my own personal experiences, why? Because it's my job as an Officer.

You said: "And the irony is that he is "serving' because he cannot adjust to the civilain life. Sadly this is the case for many military people.'

If that's truly the case, your friend is in a truly hard situation indeed. That story is sad not because of the military, but because your friend is socially inept. There is not many, and I personally know HUNDREDS of military physicians, that are "serving because they can't adjust to civilian life". So it is NOT the case for many military physicians.

You said: "I remember as my former non-commisioned officer told me, "You are paid for losing many of your basic rights as U.S. citizens."
Blind patriotism cannot cure solve problems in the military. Acceptance will."

Your NONCOM gave you wrong advice. You're not paid to give up your rights. You have more rights in the military than as a civilian. Do you give up some rights? Yes. Do people do so with their eyes wide open? They should, if not, like I said the "stupid shall be punished". Besides we all know that the military is not a place to practice DEMOCRACY, we're here to PRESERVE it. But I don't know of many physicians that would say the military took my rights away. Just read the UCMJ alone, it has more rights for the service member written in there, than ANY OTHER judicial system in the U.S.

Blind patriotism will never cure anything. I'm not blind. I see everything for what it is, and what I can make it. Do I accept it? Absolutely! It's better than anything I've seen so far.

I'm not ragging on you, I'm just going back to your original premise: That most military docs are disgruntled, eager to retire, and have to prostitute themselves while they were in the military. And that HPSP and USUHS students had to become patriotic and selfless to "SUCK IT UP" when they were FORCED to serve.

Your premise just doesn't fly when you talk to any significan't number of Army, AF, Navy docs.

I agree with Heeed!, I think you've talked to a small percentage of military docs that had an axe to grind. Misery loves company! Remember, there are THREE sides to EVERY story. Yours, Mine and the TRUTH.

That balance is the truth that you should be seeking.

JT

Happy Holidays everone!!

:clap:

Originally posted by jnytrama
Thanks Heeed!, Cdreed for backing me up.

Haujun,

It's like I said before in my first posting, if you graduated from HPSP or USU and are unhappy with the military and you STILL stayed in to retire . . . "And the Stupid Shall Be Punished".

If for one have worked in civilian medicine for the past 9 years while still working in the military on Active Duty as an ER Trauma Nurse.

I've seen doctors come and go. I've also met doctors that were unhappy and happy.

You said: "I spent 4 years in military service and I encountered many military docs who are very unhappy about their times in the military. Just because someone choose to retire doesn't mean he or she was patriotic or happy"

I though have YET to meet a doctor that stayed in the Navy because he/she felt they were FORCED to retire. And if I did meet one and they told me they weren't happy but were going to stay in anyway just to retire, I'd tell them to their face that they were not making the right decision.

You said: "Too many times patriotic comments are made by idealistic people who never truly experienced a difficult time in the military"

I've spent 10 years in, I have experienced the military in it's best and ugliest form. I've experienced it at Sea, in the desert, overseas, in the cold, under fire, . . . am I still idealistic and patriotic? You bet I am! I probably wouldn't be as patriotic and idealistic if it weren't for those experiences.

You said: "If you can stay satisfied about missing births of your children for the third time because you had to follow senseless deployment order then you are military person. If you can follow and excute the really bad orders (you despise) from your commanding officer who never set a foot in the medical school then you are a military person. If you are happy about being pay equally to others who are just going thru motion then you are military person. I met countless regular military officers who were unhappy about leading and babysitting immature, uneducated, unmotivated young troops into the field training exercise. "

Though I cannot speak for all the Navy docs in the world, I can speak for many that I know personally. They make those same sacrifices you mention PROUDLY and because they know they are serving the greater good. They are part of something greater than themselves. That's not to say that missing the birth of their child is to be taken lightly. It's not. It never is. Are military physicians happy about following and executing "the really bad orders"? Of course not. But do they do it because it serves a greater purpose? Of course! Are military physicians happy about being paid equally to others who are just going through the motions? Does it matter? Most Military Docs that I know don't care about how others perform, they care about how THEY serve their patients. The compensation in the military is fair and allows for a comfortable life style. NO ONE joins to get rich. Are military physicians happy about leading and babysitting immature and uneducated, unmotivated your troops into battle? YES. Why you ask? THAT MY FRIEND, is the burden and challenge of LEADERSHIP. Too many times have I faced that exact scenario, and each time I endeavor to motivate them, educate them, and mature them through my own personal experiences, why? Because it's my job as an Officer.

You said: "And the irony is that he is "serving' because he cannot adjust to the civilain life. Sadly this is the case for many military people.'

If that's truly the case, your friend is in a truly hard situation indeed. That story is sad not because of the military, but because your friend is socially inept. There is not many, and I personally know HUNDREDS of military physicians, that are "serving because they can't adjust to civilian life". So it is NOT the case for many military physicians.

You said: "I remember as my former non-commisioned officer told me, "You are paid for losing many of your basic rights as U.S. citizens."
Blind patriotism cannot cure solve problems in the military. Acceptance will."

Your NONCOM gave you wrong advice. You're not paid to give up your rights. You have more rights in the military than as a civilian. Do you give up some rights? Yes. Do people do so with their eyes wide open? They should, if not, like I said the "stupid shall be punished". Besides we all know that the military is not a place to practice DEMOCRACY, we're here to PRESERVE it. But I don't know of many physicians that would say the military took my rights away. Just read the UCMJ alone, it has more rights for the service member written in there, than ANY OTHER judicial system in the U.S.

Blind patriotism will never cure anything. I'm not blind. I see everything for what it is, and what I can make it. Do I accept it? Absolutely! It's better than anything I've seen so far.

I'm not ragging on you, I'm just going back to your original premise: That most military docs are disgruntled, eager to retire, and have to prostitute themselves while they were in the military. And that HPSP and USUHS students had to become patriotic and selfless to "SUCK IT UP" when they were FORCED to serve.

Your premise just doesn't fly when you talk to any significan't number of Army, AF, Navy docs.

I agree with Heeed!, I think you've talked to a small percentage of military docs that had an axe to grind. Misery loves company! Remember, there are THREE sides to EVERY story. Yours, Mine and the TRUTH.

That balance is the truth that you should be seeking.

JT

Happy Holidays everone!!

:clap:

JT,

Wonderfully stated!

My comments were based my own personal experinces with military physicans that I knew (in U.S. Army). I spent 4 years as ENLISTED and NCO, before accepting HPSP scholarship. So I am sure my perspective will be rather DIFFERENT from prior officer or other branch of service. At OBC I met many students who had no idea of serving their country, but just want get their tuition paid. WRONG REASON!!! But sadly for MAJOR REASON for MOST PEOPLE!
This thread was started with money issue. And I hope people realize the meaning of serving their country. Also I hope people aware of negative aspects of military life and their responsibility as a medical officer as well as military doctor to "correct and improve them." The Military recruiter conveniently at many times leave this out. Hence we see large percentage of HPSP recipients leave after four years and not all USUHS grads retire, in fact, lot of them leave after 7years. Sadly, that theory of "serving greater purpose" does not bring comfort to lot of them especially to married ones.

Originally posted by haujun
My comments were a repsonse to the denali's post about civilian's doc being reimbursement #$%^. So take it easy and read the all the comments, please.

My comments were not intended to define civilian (v. military) docs as reimbursement ******.

I chose the word "*****" deliberately because of its particularly visceral connotation with regards to "doing unsavory things for money." I chose it to portray my own level of "distaste" at the possibility that I may have to compromise certain core ideas I have about practicing medicine just to put food on the table and maintain a practice.

For this reason, the value of my military retirement will be greater than its monetary amount.

I am currently completing year 2 of Med school and am an HPSP student (Navy). I know that everyone who joins the miltary says "My recruiter lied to me," but my recruiter actually, simply lied to me.

My plan is to apply for a full deferrment when the match comes up in Yr-4. If I am able to get a full deferrment, I will complete a civilian residency, then go on as a Navy doc for the 4 yrs of payback. If I do not get the full deferrment, I plan on buying out of my Navy Obligation.

My question is this: Will it be possible to buy out of my HPSP obligation? What are the results/obligations for this route? I need to know the specifics so that I can make a well-informed decision a year and a half from now...

Thanks

NavyBean said:
I am currently completing year 2 of Med school and am an HPSP student (Navy). I know that everyone who joins the miltary says "My recruiter lied to me," but my recruiter actually, simply lied to me.

My plan is to apply for a full deferrment when the match comes up in Yr-4. If I am able to get a full deferrment, I will complete a civilian residency, then go on as a Navy doc for the 4 yrs of payback. If I do not get the full deferrment, I plan on buying out of my Navy Obligation.

My question is this: Will it be possible to buy out of my HPSP obligation? What are the results/obligations for this route? I need to know the specifics so that I can make a well-informed decision a year and a half from now...

Thanks

You have about a zero chance of buying out your time. This has been discussed at length on the military forum. The Navy wants their pound of flesh from you and will not let you go. Get your deferrment, pay back your time, and move on.

Heeed! said:
You have about a zero chance of buying out your time. This has been discussed at length on the military forum. The Navy wants their pound of flesh from you and will not let you go. Get your deferrment, pay back your time, and move on.

I gotta agree with the above. You basically have no chance at a buy out. Unless you can prove legally a breach of contract the navy's got you, and your chance of doing that is probably less than your chance of getting a buy out.

It's a moot point, but you'd probably have a better shot at a buy out now than if you waited until the navy had footed your entire medical school bill.

Man did you have to dig deep to find this thread.

NavyBean said:

Thanks

Absofrigginlutely NOT. You signed a binding agreement with the U.S. Navy. If for some reason you do not get your full deferment you will serve your time. If you are selected for a Navy internship you will go.

Recruiters are much like politicians. You can tell they are lying when their lips are moving. One of the things I relish about this site is that it should cause people to ask questions. Seek answers. If you did not, caveat emptor.

STBY(sucks to be you). Now be a grown up and accept your commitment.

Thanks for your replies.

How should I get in contact to leave the HPSP now? Will I need to come up with a private loan for all the Med school that's been pd up til now?

NavyBean said:
Thanks for your replies.

How should I get in contact to leave the HPSP now? Will I need to come up with a private loan for all the Med school that's been pd up til now?

Check the student manual at http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/pages/nmetc/pdf/sbook.pdf

It has instructions for requesting withdrawal. But they're going to say no. They had about 50% recruitment for ms2009 and 2010, so they don't want to let anyone go. They are not interested in getting their money back.

Sounds like you're ms2008. Numbers were ok for your class I think, or at least not as bad as mine (ms2009), so you have a decent chance at a deferrment. I recommend sucking it up. This is just conjecture, but I imagine that requesting withdrawal goes on your record, and it probably isn't viewed favorably by the GME selection board.

There is a reason Military "doctors" are not hired by civilian practices. They are not good enough. I do not know a single person in the military or their spouse who does not dread having to see one of the *****s working at the clinics on post. Sadly, everybody who has ever seen an Army "doctor" can tell you at least half a dozen stories of neglect. People need to take a stand and fight to keep Army "doctors" in the battlefield, away from civilian related complaints. They are useless to us and a huge waste of the governments money.

What do you call a person who failed medical school? A military doctor.