military pay vs. civilian pay (HPSP scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone talking about 'crap pay' is in medicine for the wrong reason. Its about helping and serving...not making 300k+ a year.

thanks for that informed opinion, dr. csx

WHAT?!?!?

a 300k+, 4 year-only residency, part of the infamous ROAD...and it isn't remotely competitive????

it is middle of the road
there is talk of making it 5 years along with adding a bunch of ridiculous and expensive exams
future outlook is not good

Members don't see this ad.

it is middle of the road
there is talk of making it 5 years along with adding a bunch of ridiculous and expensive exams
future outlook is not good

I'm curious what "middle of the road" means to you? No, it isn't the least competitive specialty, but almost no one goes unmatched.

I'm curious what "middle of the road" means to you? No, it isn't the least competitive specialty, but almost no one goes unmatched.

According to the 2011 Charting the Outcomes, 96% of US seniors matched into anesthesiology. According to the 2013 match data, 1208 US seniors applied for 1073 anesthesiology positions and only 748 US seniors matched (61.9% match rate.) Are these conflicting reports or are they completely different measures? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the 2011 Charting the Outcomes, 96% of US seniors matched into anesthesiology. According to the 2013 match data, 1208 US seniors applied for 1073 anesthesiology positions and only 748 US seniors matched (61.9% match rate.) Are these conflicting reports or are they completely different measures? :confused:

No idea where they're getting the percentage, but there are way more than 1073 positions. The 2013 match data is wrong.

i guess the criteria are greater percentage of us seniors, higher board scores, extra requirements

competitive: specialties where you need really high board scores and all the bells and whistles
examples: ent, optho, rad onc, derm

middle: fields where you need to be a solid applicant and extra things like research is nice
examples: anesthesia, em, ob/gyn

not as competitive: tier in which douchy first year med students laugh and talk smack when they discuss it with one another
family med, peds, pm&r and psych