Military physician compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monster-Mormon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a quick question, what does compensation look like for military physicians who go the HPSP route compared to private practice or even education? I am looking at going through the HPSP and just want to better understand it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You get paid based on rank, time in service, area you're located in, specialty bonus/incentive pay/retention bonus, board certification. Can be a little bit of a variable range based on all of those factors. I'm psychiatry, Capt, almost 6 years, board certified. Currently Capt <6 years Base pay is $5847/month, BAH is dependent on where you live. My base pay and BAH will increase upon making Maj and 6 years TIS too. My BAH currently is around $3500 based on where I'm located but I also live on base so I don't see a dime of it, just comes out of my pay check. Psychiatry IP is currently $43000 per year (paid monthly) for the duration of my initial contract (4 year HPSP). Board Certification pay is $8000 per year (paid monthly). You can sign retention bonuses for 2, 3, 4, 6 years after first contract which are increasing value added on top of the other pay listed per year (psych is $17, 28, 50, 65,000 respectively), also dependent on specialty. After taxes and everything, I'm just north of 100K take home. All my medical expenses are covered under Tricare, some dental for family I've had to pay out of pocket. My wife had a baby back in 2017 and it was all covered (I bring that up because we had 2 children prior to active duty so it was certainly a big expense for us before). Civilian side makes way more on average than we do. If you're primary care like family med, IM, peds, you may be closer to your civilian counterparts as far as income (though they'll still likely make more than you after residency). But if you're pretty much any other specialty, you're income on the civilian side will be much much more than military side.

Milmed is very admin burdensome as well and also dependent on the leadership at your specific base. I've had a positive experience so far regarding my path to this point but based solely on finances, I don't think I could say that I would go the military route again. Think long and hard before you sign up.

Reactions: 2 users
The chart on Page 22 in this paper from this thread may be of some help. It looks like the values listed in that chart are the absolute maximums, though.

Reactions: 2 users