Military Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an AF anesthesiologist who had every intention of making the military my career. I was an AF brat while my brother is an Academy graduate and current pilot. Whatever you do, please strongly reconsider your HPSP scholarship, USUHS or loan repayment program. Unless you like being bossed around by nurses (even staff positions mind you), low pay, uncertainty of residence, vacationing in Iraq.... The military rewards ass kissing and longevity, not clinical competency, skill, and efficiency. There is a major disentive to work, esp. of your support staff, which is an oxymoron in the military system. Your ancillary help is not accountable to physicians. In order for their career to succeed, they must check off every other box beside good patient care.
I would NOT even accept a pay raise of 300,000 to stay one more year.
I withhold my name not because I'm a coward (I've served in Balad, Iraq) but because for professional reprecussions. Ironically, I give up a part of my first ammendment rights while supposively supporting this ideaology over there. Also, I'm a registered Republican.

Members don't see this ad.

AFdoc said:
I am an AF anesthesiologist who had every intention of making the military my career. I was an AF brat while my brother is an Academy graduate and current pilot. Whatever you do, please strongly reconsider your HPSP scholarship, USUHS or loan repayment program. Unless you like being bossed around by nurses (even staff positions mind you), low pay, uncertainty of residence, vacationing in Iraq.... The military rewards ass kissing and longevity, not clinical competency, skill, and efficiency. There is a major disentive to work, esp. of your support staff, which is an oxymoron in the military system. Your ancillary help is not accountable to physicians. In order for their career to succeed, they must check off every other box beside good patient care.
I would NOT even accept a pay raise of 300,000 to stay one more year.
I withhold my name not because I'm a coward (I've served in Balad, Iraq) but because for professional reprecussions. Ironically, I give up a part of my first ammendment rights while supposively supporting this ideaology over there. Also, I'm a registered Republican.

hmm registered republican gas doc who toured balad, spent most of life around af, and has brother in af as a pilot no less, likely a recipient of some sort of medical/military scholarship...

i assume someone of position who wnated to know who this dissident was could find out. :p

im sorry you have had such a bad time. my parents were both in the corps and said never to go in. ive taken heed to their advice.... hope things get better for you....

did u get the scholarship while still in medical school? how was the military treating you then? could you see any signs of problems then that you just decided to overlook??

You can find this post in almost all the forums... this guy is trying to make a point!

A little constructive criticism is a healthy thing, keep it up AFdoc don't let them keep you quiet