Military Up or Out Policy

Started by BrewCrew
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BrewCrew

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Top of the morning to you!

Are there any military pharmacist planning on serving or have served 20 years in the armed forces? I'm intrested in joining the military as a pharmacist (ARMY, NAVY or AIR FORCE), and I see that once you move up in rank (O-4 - O-6), if you do not get promoted (while "in the zone") after 2 chances you are then forced to separate or retire. I know promotions are very competitive, and "political" in nature. What I'm wanting to know is if you're willing to put in the effort and due dillegence, will that be enough to be promoted? Or is it the case of, who you know, not what you know? I would be remised to serve 15 years and then be forced to separate due to not having political connections to be promoted and allowed to continue to serve.

Also, if you are forced to seperate, can you transfer to the PHS and have your TIS (time in service) transferred as well?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!




- save a tree, eat a beaver
 
Top of the morning to you!

Are there any military pharmacist planning on serving or have served 20 years in the armed forces? I'm intrested in joining the military as a pharmacist (ARMY, NAVY or AIR FORCE), and I see that once you move up in rank (O-4 - O-6), if you do not get promoted (while "in the zone") after 2 chances you are then forced to separate or retire. I know promotions are very competitive, and "political" in nature. What I'm wanting to know is if you're willing to put in the effort and due dillegence, will that be enough to be promoted? Or is it the case of, who you know, not what you know? I would be remised to serve 15 years and then be forced to separate due to not having political connections to be promoted and allowed to continue to serve.

Also, if you are forced to seperate, can you transfer to the PHS and have your TIS (time in service) transferred as well?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!




- save a tree, eat a beaver
If you get passed over twice, yes you can be forced out. However, if you fall into a zone with 3 years left till 20, exemptions can be made. That is where the "who you know" helps out. Promotions can be political in nature in the military but typically for pharmacists it´s not. If you have good reviews, pass your PT tests, its almost a guaranteed lock to make O-5. It gets dicy after that to make O-6 but once you make O-5, you are guaranteed to be in for the full 20 if you choose to.

You can have your time in service transfered to the PHS if you decide the military is not for you. However, the PHS will only accept you if you have 8 years or less of time in service. They do not want to get stuck paying your benefits if your not going to spend the majority of your time with the PHS.
 
Thanks Caverject! I'm not sure if you've asked/answered this before, but are you liking your time in the Army? Wanting to go the full 20 years? The Job market in Texas seems to be fine, I work at a PBM, and I see new RPh hires all the time, but I'm reading reports with the creation of new RPH's schools, the market is becoming saturated & in parts of the country, RPH's are having a difficult time finding a job (but then again, arn't most people?)

As a side note, I love M.R.E.'s are you allowed to purchase them? I have a feeling your answer may sound like , 'Yes you can, but why would you?' 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks Caverject! I'm not sure if you've asked/answered this before, but are you liking your time in the Army? Wanting to go the full 20 years? The Job market in Texas seems to be fine, I work at a PBM, and I see new RPh hires all the time, but I'm reading reports with the creation of new RPH's schools, the market is becoming saturated & in parts of the country, RPH's are having a difficult time finding a job (but then again, arn't most people?)

As a side note, I love M.R.E.'s are you allowed to purchase them? I have a feeling your answer may sound like , 'Yes you can, but why would you?' 😀
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9871103&postcount=29

I have no idea if I will do the full 20 or not at this time. There are legitimate reasons to get out but at this time I do not see myself getting out anytime soon. I truly love my job.

You're allowed to purchase MRE's from the commisarry if you wish. Just remember, they are 5,000 calories a bag and there is a reason why the bubble gum has docusate in it 🙂 I'd prefer MRE's any day over the crap im being fed on a daily bases where I am at!
 
You're allowed to purchase MRE's from the commisarry if you wish. Just remember, they are 5,000 calories a bag and there is a reason why the bubble gum has docusate in it 🙂 I'd prefer MRE's any day over the crap im being fed on a daily bases where I am at!

I had MRE's a few times in scouts, not bad, but i prefer the tinfoil dinners 😀
 
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9871103&postcount=29

I have no idea if I will do the full 20 or not at this time. There are legitimate reasons to get out but at this time I do not see myself getting out anytime soon. I truly love my job.

You're allowed to purchase MRE's from the commisarry if you wish. Just remember, they are 5,000 calories a bag and there is a reason why the bubble gum has docusate in it 🙂 I'd prefer MRE's any day over the crap im being fed on a daily bases where I am at!

5K cal a bag..... wth? What they fill it with? Lard? 😱
 
MREs are definitely a mixed bag (some good, most are horrible) - One bag is meant to be able to last you all day in the field (hence the 5000 calories).

They are perfect for camping trips - gotta field strip'em though. As stated above, avoid the gum... they ain't chicklets.
 
If you get passed over twice, yes you can be forced out. However, if you fall into a zone with 3 years left till 20, exemptions can be made. That is where the "who you know" helps out. Promotions can be political in nature in the military but typically for pharmacists it´s not. If you have good reviews, pass your PT tests, its almost a guaranteed lock to make O-5. It gets dicy after that to make O-6 but once you make O-5, you are guaranteed to be in for the full 20 if you choose to.

You can have your time in service transfered to the PHS if you decide the military is not for you. However, the PHS will only accept you if you have 8 years or less of time in service. They do not want to get stuck paying your benefits if your not going to spend the majority of your time with the PHS.

Hey caver, can you speak a bit about average promotion length. I believe O-4 takes approx 6 years. However, I cannot remember where I read it nor whether or not it was a legit source.
 
Hey caver, can you speak a bit about average promotion length. I believe O-4 takes approx 6 years. However, I cannot remember where I read it nor whether or not it was a legit source.
You are correct. Pharmacists get some credit right off the bat due to the degree we earn. In most MOSes, it should take longer to make major but for most pharmacists, its 6 years.
 

I appreciate the effort - but medical officers are in a different "pool" used for promotion purposes. Our promotions can take longer in some instances, shorter in others.

You are correct. Pharmacists get some credit right off the bat due to the degree we earn. In most MOSes, it should take longer to make major but for most pharmacists, its 6 years.

Thanks, I can't remember where I was reading about promotions. I do remember having a O-6 in the PHS remind me how quickly he pinned on. Several years quicker than we will in the Army - Such is life. His stomach extended beyond his belt by a cool 4-5 inches.

These are the only two aspects I remember about him 🙁