Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GetInSomewhere

Thats how I roll.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else is, or is considering, or has already, signed up for a branch of the military in exchange of them paying for medical school. I am currently considering the Army and was wondering if anyone knew anything good or bad about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about it but there is a whole forum devoted to military medicine and many ppl have asked whether or not to consider it. Theres a lot of good information in the forum I provided below:

Military Medicine
Good luck, whatever you choose to do

I'm currently in a National Guard unit and ROTC (ROTC is an officer-producing program). I plan on attending medical school while staying in the Guard. I'm also familiar with the active duty Army scholarship plan for medical students and the benefits/downfalls they have to offer you as a military doctor. Feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've considered going military to help pay for concluding my undergraduate work. Do you know, having been in the guard, whether or not all the things they say in regard to "having time to go to school" is true?

I was actually playing poker last night with somebody who was a medic in the Army during the Iraq invasion. He's now a nursing student. I was asking him if he would ever consider being a physician in the Army. He said absolutely if we weren't at war. No malpractice, many things are free, no loans, serving your country, etc. He said Iraq is a lot more dangerous today than it was several years ago when he was there and wouldn't even consider it unless we were out of that mess.

I've filled out the paperwork for the Army HPSP but am not sure if I'll go that route. I'd like to have that option available to me if it seems like the right thing to do. My father was in the Air Force and I really enjoyed the experience of living in Europe. However, it's likely that as a physician I will have at least one if not more deployments in Iraq. So for that reason, I'm cautious about it and not sure of my decision yet.