*~*~Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2022-2023~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi can someone please help! How should I label these research experiences?

1. Psychology lab interacting with people daily, received class credit
2. Neuroscience research, no patient contact, paid
3. HIV/AIDS research, enrolling participants, paid

Extracurricular Activities​

Related activities you would like your selected programs to review; for example, academic clubs and competitive teams. Do not include paid work experience in this section.

Non-Healthcare Employment​

Paid work done outside of the health care field or a research lab; for example, a retail or restaurant job.

Non-Healthcare Volunteer or Community Enrichment​

Volunteer work done outside of the health care field; for example, working for Habitat for Humanity, tutoring students, participating in or working for a fundraiser walk or blood drive, etc.

Healthcare Experience​

Both paid and unpaid work in a health or health-related field where you are not directly responsible for a patient's care, but may still have patient interaction; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patients and/or their rooms, administering food or medication, taking vitals or other record-keeping information, working as a scribe, CNA (depending on job description), medical assistant, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi can someone please help! How should I label these research experiences?
1. Psychology lab interacting with people daily, received class credit
2. Neuroscience research, no patient contact, paid
3. HIV/AIDS research, enrolling participants, paid
1. Non-healthcare volunteer and look for a academic credit check box if there is one
2. Non-healthcare employment
3. Healthcare experience (sounds like clinical research coordinator)

If it want to make it clear, you can set aside some hours from this activity and put them in a separate shadowing slot on AACOMAS.
Thanks for responding! I finally heard back from the admissions officer and they do not consider my experience to be shadowing, so I won't be listing it as such. I'm glad I reached out to them for clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just realized that two of my shadowing experiences were input over the wrong dates. Both occurred two years ago, but I input them as currently ongoing through the end of 2022. One of these experiences has a letter of rec associated with it from the shadowed physician. I went over the app a million times and can't believe I made this mistake. Reached out to AACOMAS customer service and they said they can't edit any experiences. I was recommended to contact the schools directly, add new experiences, or to leave it be. I think if I reach out to the schools or add a duplicate with corrected dates to the application it may look strange or sloppy. I'm guessing a ton of people have made this unfortunate mistake and have been fine. I feel like the letter of rec will read as if this shadowing experience occurred in the past so they may realize it was just a mistake on my end or they may raise an eyebrow maybe. I'm just unsure. Will this be offputting to Adcoms or do they even give??? What do you guys think best course of action is??? Does my application go to the bottom of the pile to receive a secondary when an edit is made???

Thanks!

Just realized that two of my shadowing experiences were input over the wrong dates. Both occurred two years ago, but I input them as currently ongoing through the end of 2022. One of these experiences has a letter of rec associated with it from the shadowed physician. I went over the app a million times and can't believe I made this mistake. Reached out to AACOMAS customer service and they said they can't edit any experiences. I was recommended to contact the schools directly, add new experiences, or to leave it be. I think if I reach out to the schools or add a duplicate with corrected dates to the application it may look strange or sloppy. I'm guessing a ton of people have made this unfortunate mistake and have been fine. I feel like the letter of rec will read as if this shadowing experience occurred in the past so they may realize it was just a mistake on my end or they may raise an eyebrow maybe. I'm just unsure. Will this be offputting to Adcoms or do they even give??? What do you guys think best course of action is??? Does my application go to the bottom of the pile to receive a secondary when an edit is made???

Thanks!
It is best to never bring any attention to a negative such as the mistake here. I assume the hours are correct and that should be enough to correctly illustrate how well the physician knows you.

You could likely put it as a publication under the achievements category.

For the paper, use the journal who published the research. If it was related to your master's thesis, mention that in the description. AACOMAS does not have the more refined categories that AMCAS uses, so readers will go off of titles and the description.

You should receive an e-mail when they have verified it. Give it some time.
To piggy back off this again. How would you enter a manuscript in progress as well as a manuscript under review in the achievements section?

What I am thinking is to list the journal that the manuscript is under review at for the presenting organization. I am considering leaving the "presenting organization descriptor blank for the manuscript in progress. What are your thoughts?

Thank you again for any help!

To piggy back off this again. How would you enter a manuscript in progress as well as a manuscript under review in the achievements section?

What I am thinking is to list the journal that the manuscript is under review at for the presenting organization. I am considering leaving the "presenting organization descriptor blank for the manuscript in progress. What are your thoughts?

Thank you again for any help!
List it under research and mention you have submitted a manuscript in the description. "Pending approval" or submitted papers can't yet be listed as publications. But if they are later published you can mention that in secondaries, interviews, or updates.

List it under research and mention you have submitted a manuscript in the description. "Pending approval" or submitted papers can't yet be listed as publications. But if they are later published you can mention that in secondaries, interviews, or updates.
I think I'll just leave it off the primary app. I think the research characters may be better spent discussing the experience rather than tacking the manuscript bit on at the end.

Given the space limitation, would you suggest a student highlight a manuscript, or pocket the experience to be used outside of the primary?

Thanks again!

I think I'll just leave it off the primary app. I think the research characters may be better spent discussing the experience rather than tacking the manuscript bit on at the end.

Given the space limitation, would you suggest a student highlight a manuscript, or pocket the experience to be used outside of the primary?

Thanks again!
that's a good option too.

Anyone having trouble emailing AACOMAS? My emails keeps bouncing back.

Does anyone have any guidance on what is considered "early" "on time" and "late" for application to DO schools? I'm a bit confused because I know the application opens for submission earlier than AMCAS, but I've also read that the application cycle is longer. I appreciate any advice you can give!

Does anyone have any guidance on what is considered "early" "on time" and "late" for application to DO schools? I'm a bit confused because I know the application opens for submission earlier than AMCAS, but I've also read that the application cycle is longer. I appreciate any advice you can give!
Applying after Thanksgiving would be late and I would suggest waiting for the next cycle at that point. July is still early for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering about a retake attempt for DO cycle. Scored a 507 last year and have a 3.6 cgpa with ~3.3 sgpa (significant upward trend). However, I want to make sure I can really do well on my retake and I was wondering when would be considered too late for DO. Would an August 20th retake date be considered too late? Also, would applying with the current 507 and letting schools know that I have a retake on the way be a viable option? Not sure how to approach this.. thank you for any feedback!

Was wondering about a retake attempt for DO cycle. Scored a 507 last year and have a 3.6 cgpa with ~3.3 sgpa (significant upward trend). However, I want to make sure I can really do well on my retake and I was wondering when would be considered too late for DO. Would an August 20th retake date be considered too late? Also, would applying with the current 507 and letting schools know that I have a retake on the way be a viable option? Not sure how to approach this.. thank you for any feedback!
Schools don’t have to wait to make a decision on your application. Submitting in September would be fine. With a 507, I think you are pretty competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
I am confused about how the secondary questions appear on our AACOMAS primary before I have submitted the primary. I was about to submit the primary, but I have noticed that secondary questions from my school list are appearing in the "program materials". Do I need to fill these out before I submit my primary?
I was hoping to submit my primary and work on secondary questions while I wait for it to get verified.

In addition, schools pop up on the primary application and it asks to designate the prerequisite coursework that satisfies their requirements. Do I need to do this before submitting my primary for verification?

Reactions: 1 user
I am confused about how the secondary questions appear on our AACOMAS primary before I have submitted the primary. I was about to submit the primary, but I have noticed that secondary questions from my school list are appearing in the "program materials". Do I need to fill these out before I submit my primary?
I was hoping to submit my primary and work on secondary questions while I wait for it to get verified.

In addition, schools pop up on the primary application and it asks to designate the prerequisite coursework that satisfies their requirements. Do I need to do this before submitting my primary for verification?
Yes and yes. Some schools have their “secondary questions” built into the primary. If you don’t have those questions done yet, you can remove the school and submit the app so that it gets verified. Then, you can add that school later (after verification) when you have finished the answers to those questions.

Yes, that is why I prefer the term school-specific questions. The application platform has made it easier for us to embed those secondary essay prompts with your submission.

That's why pre-writing helps you (a little). Secondary applications help for the purposes of an individual program's own bookkeeping and application management system if their university requires them to use it.

Are we allowed/encouraged to bullet point list shadowing in AACOMAS?

Not sure if this question has been asked! Apologies if it has!

I have taken every course in-person except for physics (which I did as AP and got credit for it)

Do DO schools usually accept AP credit? I'm interested in KCDO and KansasCoOM specifically.

Thank you!

For AACOMAS are we allowed to put a future date? Like for amount of weeks are we allowed to include the future if we are still gonna do our job up till matriculation?

For AACOMAS are we allowed to put a future date? Like for amount of weeks are we allowed to include the future if we are still gonna do our job up till matriculation?
There is an option to mark the activity as “current.”

I sent my MCAT score from 1/20 over to AACOMAS yesterday but still don’t see anything over on AACOMAS. Is it because I indicated on my primary that I was gonna take it again on 6/30 that nothings been received?

I sent my MCAT score from 1/20 over to AACOMAS yesterday but still don’t see anything over on AACOMAS. Is it because I indicated on my primary that I was gonna take it again on 6/30 that nothings been received?
It takes a while for it to be uploaded to your AACOMAS app. If I remember correctly, mine took ~4 business days.

It takes a while for it to be uploaded to your AACOMAS app. If I remember correctly, mine took ~4 business days.
Thank you so much for your help!

Please use this thread to ask any questions specific to the AACOMAS application for the 2022-2023 cycle.

Ask away and good luck!
Hey everyone! I had a question about the first language question in the AACOMAS application! So I was born and raised in the US but spoke Bangla before I started school here bc my parents rarely speak English. I started speaking English when I started pre-K. My English is way better than my bangla as I’m completely fluent in English. So for the question which is asking for FIRST language should I put bangla ? And then add English and put advanced level? Or the other way around, English as my first language and Bangla as advanced

Hey everyone! I had a question about the first language question in the AACOMAS application! So I was born and raised in the US but spoke Bangla before I started school here bc my parents rarely speak English. I started speaking English when I started pre-K. My English is way better than my bangla as I’m completely fluent in English. So for the question which is asking for FIRST language should I put bangla ? And then add English and put advanced level? Or the other way around, English as my first language and Bangla as advanced
For the spirit of the question, put English as an advanced level. You could put it as your first language though to better get across that you are essentially a native English speaker and didn’t have to learn it at a later age.

For activities section:

If I started an activity during high school and continued it to present, do I enter the start date as the actual start date (before high school graduation) and include the hours done before high school OR do I enter the start date as the high school graduation date and not include the hours from high school. And if both ways are wrong then let me know.

Also: what is the consensus on Dr.Grey's advice of writing a story. I was originally gonna adapt my activities from TMDSAS ( which are all basically resume format with impact) but it seems like I might have to rewrite. Is his advice of showing through a story and not explicitly stating a good idea?

Last question: Should I include hobbies in AACOMAS? I think overall the consensus is that It will not hurt.

Thanks!

Hey everyone! Submitted my primary AACOMAS application today. For all my programs it is saying received, does this mean I'm good and will be verified now?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 5.49.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 5.49.57 PM.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 69
For activities section:

If I started an activity during high school and continued it to present, do I enter the start date as the actual start date (before high school graduation) and include the hours done before high school OR do I enter the start date as the high school graduation date and not include the hours from high school. And if both ways are wrong then let me know.

I am not sure how AACOMAS allows you to enter hours, but if you are allowed to break up your time to separate entries for HS and college, I would prefer that.

Also: what is the consensus on Dr.Grey's advice of writing a story. I was originally gonna adapt my activities from TMDSAS ( which are all basically resume format with impact) but it seems like I might have to rewrite. Is his advice of showing through a story and not explicitly stating a good idea?

As a screener, the more it is like a resume, the better. Not everything needs to have a story, especially if you have a character limit.

Last question: Should I include hobbies in AACOMAS? I think overall the consensus is that It will not hurt.
While you aren't required, we encourage or recommend it.

I was wondering if you shadowed multiple doctors with different specialties(over 7 doctors), how do you put them in the experience section? I mean I thought of grouping them but, aacomas won't allow adding the details of each doctor separately! Do you input each one separately and talk about what I did with each doctor using the 600-character limit? Any thoughts? Thank you
Also, do you need to explain in 600 characters in the achievement section about being on the Dean's list or having a scholarship or honors? Or do I just say in general in one sentence or two how I o got them? Appreciate the help!
@chilly_md

I was wondering if you shadowed multiple doctors with different specialties(over 7 doctors), how do you put them in the experience section? I mean I thought of grouping them but, aacomas won't allow adding the details of each doctor separately! Do you input each one separately and talk about what I did with each doctor using the 600-character limit? Any thoughts? Thank you
Also, do you need to explain in 600 characters in the achievement section about being on the Dean's list or having a scholarship or honors? Or do I just say in general in one sentence or two how I o got them? Appreciate the help!
@chilly_md
You can group them and input the details about each one in the description section using your 600 characters. Doing them individually would create too many entries. For the contact information above the description, repeat one of the physicians or just put yourself.

Honors and scholarships are best described in one sentence. Dean’s List is usually unnecessary to put down, but if you have other things to group it with, it is fine to include.

I have a few questions if anyone can help with them!
I was wondering if I have a valuable experience as an MA in a dermatology office but was only for a month then I quit for finical reasons, do you think it is resonable to still add it even though it was only for a month?

Also, if you have a research experience and an abstract/poster publication but not an original paper, do I still need to include this in my experience section and the publication in the achievement section or can I just mention that in my experience section between the lines?

Let's say I don't put my amcas ID and don't state that I have taken the MCAT, will the DO school find out about the date I have taken the MCAT and tell me about it? I am only asking because this school looks for AIS score if MCAT is not there yet, I would like to be considered on that score rather than the MCAT but I cant find a way to just not tell them about the MCAT score I have now which I am not satisfied with!

I have a few questions if anyone can help with them!
I was wondering if I have a valuable experience as an MA in a dermatology office but was only for a month then I quit for finical reasons, do you think it is resonable to still add it even though it was only for a month?

Also, if you have a research experience and an abstract/poster publication but not an original paper, do I still need to include this in my experience section and the publication in the achievement section or can I just mention that in my experience section between the lines?

Let's say I don't put my amcas ID and don't state that I have taken the MCAT, will the DO school find out about the date I have taken the MCAT and tell me about it? I am only asking because this school looks for AIS score if MCAT is not there yet, I would like to be considered on that score rather than the MCAT but I cant find a way to just not tell them about the MCAT score I have now which I am not satisfied with!
1. I don’t think a 1 month experience would be worth having. Hopefully you have other clinical experiences that cover a longer period of time.

2. Mention it within the description of the research experience.

3. You should be reporting your MCAT score. LECOM is not going to be happy when they find out you hid it from them.

How long does it take for AACOMAS to tranfer my application to schools I add after verification?

I just realized there is a spacing error on my personal statement. Is this a big red flag...?
Can't believe I did not catch this. It is driving me nuts.

1658289966836.png

I just realized there is a spacing error on my personal statement. Is this a big red flag...?
Can't believe I did not catch this. It is driving me nuts.

View attachment 357376
As I do with all applicants, I suggest not reading your already submitted materials as there is nothing you can do about it now.

As I do with all applicants, I suggest not reading your already submitted materials as there is nothing you can do about it now.
You are right. I was just wondering how much of an impact it can bring...

I can say that this is very likely not going to hold you back from medical school on its own.
Thank you. Hope my app is good enough so they can forget about these minor mistakes.

My friends think I should list it under Awards, but I think it sounds redundant? Like "here's this thing a wrote." and "here's a certificate recognizing that I wrote it."

What do you guys think?

Hi y’all, I just received secondary from VCOM. My LORs have already been submitted by HPAC to AACOMAS. However, VCOM has a section for submitting LORs in their secondary. What should I do?

Hi y’all, I just received secondary from VCOM. My LORs have already been submitted by HPAC to AACOMAS. However, VCOM has a section for submitting LORs in their secondary. What should I do?
This is a school specific question but if the letters show up on VCOM’s portal, then it is fine. That field is likely there in case applicants have an extra letter to send to VCOM specifically.

My friends think I should list it under Awards, but I think it sounds redundant? Like "here's this thing a wrote." and "here's a certificate recognizing that I wrote it."

What do you guys think?

This is fluff. Your intuition is correct and I would not include this as a separate entry.
I have moved this question (and answer) to the main AACOMAS thread.

Reactions: 1 users