Minimum Academic ranking for UNSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Canadian undergraduate planning on applying to some medical programs in Australia, and on the UNSW site it says that a minimum ranking of 97 is required, what does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

pretty syre UNSW does not take graduates- undergrad entry only.

i clearly stated above that i was an undergrad....

Members don't see this ad :)
exactly. most undergrads would be looking to apply to start medicine when they graduate. i dont think too many undergrad entry programs will be very open to someone trying to transfer from one undergrad degree into medicine, especially if they are not already at the uni where the med school is at, and especially if they are not even in australia.

undergrad entry does not mean you apply while already an undergrad student. if you havent started uni yet, you are not an undergrad.

eitherway, in this day and age, anyone hoping to go to uni should be familiar with google. google "Universities Admission Index" and find it yourself, though i might suggest starting at wikipedia. it is easily available. just keep in mind that if you are not an aussie, much of it may not make sense to you as much of it is likely specific to the aussie high school system. unsw should have a seperate criteria for international applicants.

lol im an undergrad grr...lol, thx for the info, i was inquiring because i actually know somebody that transfered from a canadian university to NSW medicine after her first semester in university.

lol im an undergrad grr...lol, thx for the info, i was inquiring because i actually know somebody that transfered from a canadian university to NSW medicine after her first semester in university.

Hi SimC. I'm a canadian citizen who transferred to UNSW med after 3 semesters at University of Alberta. (I had a gpa of 8.4/9) -- back when U of A had a 9 point system, which equated roughly to 99.50 UAI.

The faculty has a discombobulating conversion system, that converts north american GPA's into their UAI's.

I suggest calling them up and asking.

And yes, to answer your question, we do have a few students with graduate degress in our program.

As far as I know, it's still a 6 year undergraduate program, but I'm not sure how long thats going to stay for, given that they've just changed to a PBL based learning system.

Hope this helps

Hi SimC. I'm a canadian citizen who transferred to UNSW med after 3 semesters at University of Alberta. (I had a gpa of 8.4/9) -- back when U of A had a 9 point system, which equated roughly to 99.50 UAI.

the unsw website states transfers admissions are based 50/50 on tertiary gpa AND HSC (high school certificate). so your having completed semester at uni won't eliminate being ranked on high school performance.

And yes, to answer your question, we do have a few students with graduate degress in our program.

the UNSW website also states the only graduate stream is their new one which only considers high achieving students in the UNSW BMedSci that complete an honours year. from my knowledge, prior to this, they haven't allowed any grad. of course, i have not been following it for the past 6 years, so they could have taken them years ago and there are still trickinling through the system. [/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it's still a 6 year undergraduate program, but I'm not sure how long thats going to stay for, given that they've just changed to a PBL based learning system.

i think UNSW is pretty intent on remaining undergrad entry. there are now 3 grad entry schools in NSW, 4 if you count UNSW's new stream, and there are now 3 undergrad entry. i'm sure they'd like to keep a nice balance rather than shifting entirely to one type of entry. there are plenty of people that want to ensure the undergrad entry options remains for those students are certain of their goals in high school.