minimum GPA after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h00d314

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if any schools require that you maintain a minimum GPA after you have been accepted. I have been on five interviews and am taking a very difficult semester and I think that my GPA is going to be about a 2.75. My cumulative before this semester is a 3.4 and I have gotten into four of the five schools that I have interviewed at and none of them said anything about it on the acceptance letter except for the fact that the acceptance is granted upon the fact that I graduate undergrad in spring. If anyone knows please get back to me as soon as possible because I am finishing up my finals right now and I am extremely nervous about this GPA drop.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt worry..I am really struggling in PCHEM rite now..and may have to retake it in the spring..i think as long as you get your degree before Fall 06 you should be good :thumbup:

mikeypo0 said:
I wouldnt worry..I am really struggling in PCHEM rite now..and may have to retake it in the spring..i think as long as you get your degree before Fall 06 you should be good :thumbup:

I did everything in my power to avoid Pchem. Even switched my major from chemistry to biochem. Then I'm sitting in my biophysical chemistry class and the required textbook is called Physical Chemistry. I feel your pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a biochem major!!! i should have looked at the degree plan closely..i feel cheated..like didnt look at the fine print of a binding contract hehe :D

Biochemistry Bachelor students at my undergrad were required to take TWO semesters of PChem. How much does that suck?!?! I made it through.

Regarding post acceptance grades, I have called a few schools I was accepted to, and all of them have said C's or better, but that your acceptance really cannot be taken away from you. If anything, they will question your grade drop and might ask you to keep them updated on how you are doing in your first year of medical school. Don't sweat it. Just get your degree and get out!

I need 2 semesters of pchem...1 lecture..and 1 lab :(

mikeypo0 said:
I need 2 semesters of pchem...1 lecture..and 1 lab :(

lab for pchem? what the hell? isn't that an oxymoron? what do you guys sit there and solve gibbs equations? i thought pchem was a field where there is minimal lab exposure.

docmd2010 said:
lab for pchem? what the hell? isn't that an oxymoron? what do you guys sit there and solve gibbs equations? i thought pchem was a field where there is minimal lab exposure.
one can be a strictly theoretical pchemist or one can be an experimental pchemist. One of the experiments in my pchem lab was a glorified coffee cup calorimeter exp. Different pressure and adiabatic exps. I can't remember the others we did because it's too painful to think about. That class SUCKS!

I am in the same boat. With missing so many classes for interviews this semester, its not going to be pretty, but I called the registrars office and atleast at Touro, you have to have a C or better in any required courses and as long as you get your Bachelors, your fine.

I havent taken the lab yet..thats for next semester...but i think you experimentally solve for gibbs free energy..probably figure out rate constants experimentally and do some sort of statistical analysis to see how accurate/precise your lab results are to the expected results..etc

I'm in the same boat, except I started off with a lower GPA (2.85). I missed about 3 weeks of class for interviews in the middle of the semester, and this semester my GPA is gonna suck the big one (prolly about a 2.5), but it makes me feel better to know that they can't un-accept me after I have sent the Deposit in. I'm not going to FAIL any of my classes, but my grades are definately sub par...

mikeypo0 said:
I havent taken the lab yet..thats for next semester...but i think you experimentally solve for gibbs free energy..probably figure out rate constants experimentally and do some sort of statistical analysis to see how accurate/precise your lab results are to the expected results..etc
True. And the stat analysis...propagation of error was huge in our lab, experimentally verifying JANAF tables, etc.

Why would you just "want your degree." I have a very nice GPA and I am going to make sure it stays that way. I don't care whether I got in or not.

USArmyDoc said:
Why would you just "want your degree." I have a very nice GPA and I am going to make sure it stays that way. I don't care whether I got in or not.

I agree, but perhaps sometimes people have something unexpected come up and a bad semester can't be avoided? I dunno, just a thought :)

I just "want my degree" because it wont serve me of any use in the future..other then getting me into med school..thus i dont view it as a priority...

luckily we only are required to take only the scam-biophysical chem lecture and move on to biochem 2 and biochem lab. Monday is my biochem final. :scared:

Myself: I'm just trying to get that paper. I wish I was a language major or nutrition major(would go well with my PT biz).

njaqua said:
one can be a strictly theoretical pchemist or one can be an experimental pchemist. One of the experiments in my pchem lab was a glorified coffee cup calorimeter exp. Different pressure and adiabatic exps. I can't remember the others we did because it's too painful to think about. That class SUCKS!