Minimum GPA post-acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compterfanatic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I graduate next weekend (yay!), and so I would like to think that I should finish my last set of exams strong. But to be honest, my motivation has hit rock bottom. Is there REALLY a minimum GPA schools look for post acceptance? I mean, if I received a 3.0 in 2 upper science level courses, and 4.0 in non science courses, would this be looked down upon? I know I know its better to just finish strong, but if I can slide by with a 3.0 with very minimum effort, I'll take it, because hey, I'm already accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright so I graduate next weekend (yay!), and so I would like to think that I should finish my last set of exams strong. But to be honest, my motivation has hit rock bottom. Is there REALLY a minimum GPA schools look for post acceptance? I mean, if I received a 3.0 in 2 upper science level courses, and 4.0 in non science courses, would this be looked down upon? I know I know its better to just finish strong, but if I can slide by with a 3.0 with very minimum effort, I'll take it, because hey, I'm already accepted.

Most schools want at least a C in your remainder coursework.

Most schools want at least a C in your remainder coursework.

If this is true, and you are well above a C going into finals.......have some fun! lol I know I would be ignoring my finals since it makes no difference in my future if I only need a certain low grade to stay in med school.

May make me sound like a slacker, but hell if you are going to be in med school for 4 years + residency....might as well have some fun while you can:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be prudent to take your finals. Finals suck and all but why play around with your future? Get them done and get out of there, enjoy the rest of your last year before school. You could also look at it this way: what's the worst that could happen in either case? If you take the finals, you lose a few weeks to the library. If you don't there's the chance that your acceptance gets rescinded.

You've made it this far - definitely take them. With that said, if you're holding strong grades in those courses now, don't stress out about them. Just go in there and use what you know - no sense in trying to review an entire semester's worth of material just to shoot for a 100.

Pull out a strong 80 and enjoy your break!

Hey people, I think the OP was asking if he needed to stress about getting an 'A', vs. getting a 'B' with very little effort. I don't think he was debating whether he should take the exam or not. (0%? That would be stupid!)

I'll let those more senior here and wiser than myself answer whether there is a 'cut-off' (thanks PunkmedGirl) but I would say aim high, but don't freak out and pull 3 all nighters studying....I can't imagine a place you got accepted canceling your acceptance because of a B. :)

Eisen