Minimum MCAT Score..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSERMAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to get in DO school with 3.3 Overall & 3.3 Science GPA. Someone please help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

45, j/k hehe sorry I couldn't resist. It's been said many times there are no hard fast rules. I would guess a 26?

45, j/k hehe sorry I couldn't resist. It's been said many times there are no hard fast rules. I would guess a 26?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no magic number combination. However, in general, all 8's is a good place to start for any gpa. Yes you could get in with lower, but your chances will decrease depending on the school's avg acceptance numbers. Do some research on each school's acceptance numbers (gpa, mcat, out-of-state vs in-state acceptances) for the 2004 entering class. That'll give you a good idea of where you stand in relation to each school.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 05-02-2000).]

I would think you have a reasonable chance with a 21 or 22. When you research the numbers with the schools, remember you are usually seeing an average score, not a minimum requirement score. A school with an average student accepted score of 26 has accepted about the same amount of students with a 30 as students with a 22.

"A school with an average student accepted score of 26 has accepted about the same amount of students with a 30 as students with a 22."--jlep2003

jlep2003, if the school cannot enroll enough candidates with scores of 30, then applicants with MCAT scores four points below the mean will not be admitted. Most applicants belong to the range of 24-28 and therefore admission would be highly improbable with a score of 22; the distribution can be quite thin just 2 points away from the mean. For example, MCAT scores of 21, 27, 27, 28, 29 will result in an average of "26.4." Notice that only the score of '21' is below the 26 average that you've mentioned. Furthermore, I think it's irresponsible not to prepare enough to score at least 24 on the MCAT if an applicant desires to pursue Medicine.

MSERMAN, study thoroughly enough to score "27+" on the MCAT (9v, 9p, 9b). With the growing interest in Osteopathic Medicine, the admissions criteria will only become more competitive every year. However, your "minimum MCAT score" should be 24.

mserman,

in your case, i think 23 would make you about the average (read averagely competitive) applicant. 8 on each section is avg and sd is about 2. Getting 9's across the board will definetly be to your advantage (no duh, adismo!) good luck, and remember it's a thinking test and it probes your analytical skills. In the physical sciences especially, it is a question of proportionalities and relationships among variables more than number crunching... Again, best wishes.

I think you CANNOT generalize. According to the math presented at my school someone got in with a 19, or two people got in with 22's to keep an average of 26. SO give up this silly math! You don't want to show the schools you can aim for a 26 and get it, you want them to see your maximum capability. Worry about the numbers if you test, apply, don't get accepted, and they tell you later they are uncomfortable with your MCAT.

MSERMAN

first of all do not take a "minimum score" attitude into the MCAT, that just sets you up for failure and 100 more hours of procrastination. If you don't want to sweat about getting into school like so many others do, you will need to score at least 26 or above. Just think about how much better it is to find out that you are going to school in October or November versus May and June. Save the ulcer and just buckle down and go for the best score.

Good Luck
KCOM 2004

Well, in general you can GENERALIZE, hehehe... When it comes down to scores, the AMA made up the test so that only a certain percentage of individuals will score above 8 or above 10. They WANT the bell curve to give schools an assessment tool. But keep in mind that the interview can go a long way to improve your chances, or slim them. I think that there are some few instances where people do get in with a 19...

I choose to retract this post for the shameful way in which I attacked a fellow member of studentdoctor. I am sorry.

[This message has been edited by jlep2003 (edited 05-03-2000).]

Actually, jlep2003, since I thought your last post was particularly venomous, I think I'll rehash another one of your one-liners:

"I would think you have a reasonable chance with a 21 or 22."--jlep2003.

I'll let you ruminate over the substance of that statement as yet another measure of your "anecdotal insight gained by my application and medical student experiences."

I am sorry Vetega. Truly I am. I guess I was out of line on that last post. I am a very nontraditional student who was very lucky that an institution like LECOM was willing to take a chance on me. I would never want to be anywhere else, but maybe I harbor a little bitterness toward the emphasis placed on numbers by most Med Schools. I recognize that perhaps I am not accepting the reality of the situation, and by no means am an expert on what it takes to get into Med School (being that I just squeaked in).

Vegeta, please accept my sincerest apology. I do not want to generate any animosity between us and I retract my last post.

8's and 9's...maybe one seven if there is something like your GPA to compensate. I had all 8's and above and only got three interviews with a good GPA.

Vegeta- chill out. Jlep's statement of having a 21 or 22 is not totally off for certain do schools. A friend of mine got into NYCOM with scoring a 20, TWICE. LECOM also does take many students with lower than average MCATs. Its all a balance. I'm an example of the other extreme. My MCAT is 6 pts higher than the school's average, but my undergrade GPA was low.