Minimum MCAT scores and GPA for each school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saoj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a place where I can check this information? Like what is the minimum GPA and MCAT to apply with reasonable chances to UCLA? Or Yale? Or Columbia?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is called the MSAR, an annual publication by the AAMC.

Buy a copy of the MSAR from the AAMC website. It's probably safe to say that if your GPA and/or MCAT is below the 10th percentile for any given school then you probably don't have a good shot at that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick, reply. Last question: I have just bought the Print + Web Site version for $25. It looks like I have to wait to receive my printed version BEFORE I can check stuff online. The code they ask is in the guide:

Kind of silly, so just wanted to confirm:

4. Enter your access code. (The code is case-sensitive.) The code is located on the first page of the guide book.

Correct. You have to wait for the book. Once you have the access code, you create a username and a password, which will - watch this - only be good for one year, after which your online subscription will expire.

From personal experience, I suggest buying the 2010-2011 book-only version. I have used multiple copies from different years. So far, the older ones have been much more useful than that new online-garbage. Get it through amazon or something - the demand is actually kind of high and the price will seem inflated, accordingly. But the numbers don't change very much every year.

Correct. You have to wait for the book. Once you have the access code, you create a username and a password, which will - watch this - only be good for one year, after which your online subscription will expire.

From personal experience, I suggest buying the 2010-2011 book-only version. I have used multiple copies from different years. So far, the older ones have been much more useful than that new online-garbage. Get it through amazon or something - the demand is actually kind of high and the price will seem inflated, accordingly. But the numbers don't change very much every year.

Wow. I saw a bunch of bad reviews on amazon for the newest version. I really hope they provide at least MCAT and GPA minimum scores. Keeping my fingers crossed...

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Schoo...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327968642&sr=1-4

I bought the online version and I'll be honest with you. It's terrible. Not only does it take forever to load up all of the schools, whenever you press back to go back to the school list, it starts back up at A again. Considering most schools start with a U, it's pretty tedious and annoying.

Is there a place where I can check this information? Like what is the minimum GPA and MCAT to apply with reasonable chances to UCLA? Or Yale? Or Columbia?

Thanks!

I wouldn't ever count on being in the bottom 10% of a class at any school without crazy EC's or legacy status...

I bought the online version and I'll be honest with you. It's terrible. Not only does it take forever to load up all of the schools, whenever you press back to go back to the school list, it starts back up at A again. Considering most schools start with a U, it's pretty tedious and annoying.

Seconded. I had friends last year who used the older MSAR as their Holy Bible, and when I got one of the newer ones, I couldn't figure out why they liked it so much. The new version basically takes all the info that used to be in the book and splits it between the book and an unintuitive website that you have to access by logging into AAMC. The book now is useless, since it conveniently leaves out the most important info about schools (admission statistics), but if you get one of the good older ones, it won't be quite up-to-date.

I want to dispell a myth here; THERE IS NO MINIMUM MCAT AND GPA SCORE (at most schools at least). I know this because I have been an AdComm member. Yes, more selective schools accept applicants with higher scores, but there is rarely an absolute minimum. Impressive extracurriculars can take you very far and will trump a mediocre MCAT score. It doesn't hurt to take a look at a distribution of scores for accepted applicants at a given school, but you should not make your choice to apply to a specific school or not based only on your scores. Be honest with yourself, if your EC's are kind of lame then you should definitely try to be at least towards the middle of the distribution. But if you know that you have solid ECs and LORs, don't be dissuaded from applying to top tier schools because of a so-so MCAT score. You'll be selling yourself short!

I wouldn't ever count on being in the bottom 10% of a class at any school without crazy EC's or legacy status...

One thing the book IS good for is a whole chapter with overall applicant statistics (not arranged by school though) that shows the admission rates for different combinations of MCAT/GPA/Ethnicity, but you can find the same thing in the "What are my chances" part of SDN. Still, these numbers are more helpful as a very broad look at your chances just based on your numbers, there isn't really a "minimum" score or GPA, it's just that the odds aren't in your favor below a certain point...

Not so fast my friends...

There are many schools that have a minimum MCAT requirement. I know firsthand that is true as I had a mid summer MCAT test date and thought I would work on secondary applications (for schools that don't pre screen) while I waited for my score to be released. Nearly 1/2 of the schools replied back with an e-mail that said I didn't meet their minimum MCAT requirement (typically in the low to mid 20s). So I had to wait on those schools until my MCAT score was released before I received their secondary applications. So yes, there are schools that have a minimum MCAT requirement. Granted it's fairly low, but it is there for a number of schools.

No idea about the GPA myth.

Way to solicit on sdn

Ebay tip for you- get some ratings under your belt before trying to sell something that expensive. No one will trust you

Way to solicit on sdn

Ebay tip for you- get some ratings under your belt before trying to sell something that expensive. No one will trust you

I'm glad someone else saw that post, it was yanked out of here so fast I thought I was starting to hallucinate. :whoa: