Minimum volume to support LASIK machine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racheleye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think is the minimum number of cases per month you need to do to justify leasing and/or owning a LASIK laser?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think is the minimum number of cases per month you need to do to justify leasing and/or owning a LASIK laser?

I don't know if this information is helpful but I will offer up this story:

When I was first out of school, I worked for a large LASIK center running their clinic in a large southwestern city. To break even, we had to do 133 eyes (not patients, eyes) per month. At the time, the fee was $2000 per eye.

So $266000 a month just to break even. Now, that covered the surgeon, me, two techs, a receptionist, a business manager, rent, equipment, advertising, the laser, etc. etc. That was for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g but it was just breaking even.

A firm number is going to have to depend on 1. where you will operate, 2. what the advertising plan will be and how much you will budget for that plan 3. the buildout and space costs for your space where the laser will be operated, 4. the annual cost of the laser maintenance contract or contracts 4. your additional staffing support above that of your office 5. the finance rate you expect to pay, 6. the target price you plan to set per eye as your fee and 7, amount of any co-management fee that will be subtracted from your global fee.

Hint: the laser is not usually the most expensive part. Advertising can be a significant part of the cost per case, depending on your media market and marketing plan.