Minnesota c/o 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About time Minnesota gets a c/o 2014 thread of its own!

Can't wait to meet those of you accepted already and best of luck to those still waiting. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Start a facebook group. Also, you can start taking the 5 credit zoo med class your first semester. :) So does this mean you are coming here next year?

Start a facebook group. Also, you can start taking the 5 credit zoo med class your first semester. :) So does this mean you are coming here next year?

Very likely, yes. Still have some details that need to be ironed out, but I'm pretty sure. :)

And I went ahead and created a Facebook group. *blushes*

Members don't see this ad :)
what!?!? zoo med class first semester!?!?!?!?!?

:D

Woo-HOO.

That is all : ).

May I please join, if just so I can begin corrupting the rest of you? Seriously people, we all know how much this means to you, congratulations! Welcome. :love:

WOO HOO x2!!!

I can't believe this!!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
:woot:

May I please join, if just so I can begin corrupting the rest of you? Seriously people, we all know how much this means to you, congratulations! Welcome. :love:

Of course!

P-

I like that we're facebook friends :). You're actually a real person!

I hope the rest of you become real soon, too.

-E

P-

I like that we're facebook friends :). You're actually a real person!

I hope the rest of you become real soon, too.

-E

E-

I know! I was all: elliepants has a real name that is not, in fact, Ellie! And a cute dog whose name is, I believe, Ellie? It was thrilling! :D

-P

Members don't see this ad :)
Brevity is overrated. It's very descriptive, P- and that's what counts...

I want to join the facebook group so BADLY!!!!

I can't decide what to do though... :(

I fell in LOVE with MN and I want to go there SO badly.
But i'm just scared about taking on all those loans.
I am trying to email the school about residency info, but i'm not getting any answers.

OOS tuition at MN is about 17,000/year more than IL.
I would be willing to pay for one year and then gain residency, but I'm not sure if its an option.
But...i'm graduating in May from undergrad with NO debt.

AH!

And I never ever thought I would have a choice as to where I would go.

I am just SO lost!!

HELP!!!!

haha

I want to join the facebook group so BADLY!!!!

I can't decide what to do though... :(

I fell in LOVE with MN and I want to go there SO badly.
But i'm just scared about taking on all those loans.
I am trying to email the school about residency info, but i'm not getting any answers.

OOS tuition at MN is about 17,000/year more than IL.
I would be willing to pay for one year and then gain residency, but I'm not sure if its an option.
But...i'm graduating in May from undergrad with NO debt.

AH!

And I never ever thought I would have a choice as to where I would go.

I am just SO lost!!

HELP!!!!

haha

I am in a similar situation with trying to decide between schools. I completely understand how you feel though! I feel so torn and love both schools for different reasons. Good luck to you in your decision!

Last edited:
Yeah, KS was a really great school. I got accepted there as well, so technically I have to decide out of 3 schools, but KS was just way too much money, and with no hope of residency. So... I won't go there. Actually, I am probably declining the invite tomorrow. lol

But yeah.... Honestly, its just the worry about the debt that is killing me.
UGH!

Hey when is our White Coat Ceremony? Is it 1st year or 3rd?

I feel that residency CAN be obtained in MN if you were to work at it. I've read through the information about 40 times (my boyfriend even created a quick facts sheet-I can e-mail it to anyone interested, haha), and there are a couple of loop holes we out of staters can squeeze through. And if worst comes to worst, you can always get married to a resident of MN. I'm sure there are quite a few eligible bachelors. ;)

I feel that residency CAN be obtained in MN if you were to work at it. I've read through the information about 40 times (my boyfriend even created a quick facts sheet-I can e-mail it to anyone interested, haha), and there are a couple of loop holes we out of staters can squeeze through. And if worst comes to worst, you can always get married to a resident of MN. I'm sure there are quite a few eligible bachelors. ;)

That's great! Does that mean you will be coming? :xf:

Zeebra I would love the quick facts sheet! Ill send u a pm. Thanks in advance!

That's great! Does that mean you will be coming? :xf:

I'm thinking a "yes!" on that one. I know I already said I'd be heading to Missouri, but I honestly had no idea I'd be accepted to Minnesota. I thought it was a long shot for me because my GRE score really isn't the best. While part of me knows that in-state tuition after the first year at Missouri would save me financially in the end, I've had so many people tell me not to choose a school based on cost. I really want to go somewhere that I'll be happy for four years, and I'm thinking that's going to be Minnesota. After reading through the curriculum, I felt EXCITED. While the atmosphere at Missouri was really nice, I didn't feel the same about the actual program itself. The case load at the teaching hospital in Minnesota is also amazing, it's hard to pass that 30,000+ a year for small animal up. Also, I think it would be easier for my boyfriend to find a job there and move with me, where that's just not possible in Columbia, MO. It's just too small of a town. I could keep going with my pros and cons list, but I'll stop boring you and say...I better find myself one hell of a nice winter coat! :D

Zeebra44! You're coming to MN!?! For sure?!?

Woo-HOO! and WELCOME!

I'm thinking a "yes!" on that one.

Awesome! That's fantastic news! :woot:

I better find myself one hell of a nice winter coat! :D

And long johns! Long johns are the key to surviving Minnesota weather, in my humble opinion. But buy men's: they're warmer and actually designed to fit people who are taller than 5'6". :D

While part of me knows that in-state tuition after the first year at Missouri would save me financially in the end, I've had so many people tell me not to choose a school based on cost. I really want to go somewhere that I'll be happy for four years, and I'm thinking that's going to be Minnesota. After reading through the curriculum, I felt EXCITED. While the atmosphere at Missouri was really nice, I didn't feel the same about the actual program itself. The case load at the teaching hospital in Minnesota is also amazing, it's hard to pass that 30,000+ a year for small animal up. :D

Zeebra! This is exciting to hear you say.... or see you type I guess.
hahaha.

I feel the same way as you do about the school, and you have kinda put it in perspective for me!! I can't imagine going to a school that I don't like as much as MN. I can just picture myself sitting there thinking, "I wonder what I would be doing in MN, or I wonder how much fun everyone in MN is having." hahaha

But... you are right. I have realized that schools shouldn't be decided upon based on cost. Granted, there are some boundaries, but 15,000 more per year isn't going to kill anyone. hahah

Also, if you don't mind, I would love that facts sheet. I don't know how to pm, so you can pm me? and maybe I can figure it out?
haha
I have also read through that packet 40 times, and I can't make much of it.

My finace and I will be married in July though, so I should be able to claim that i'm "married to a resident" after a year. We are also planning on both of us working in MN, changing our voters registration and our drivers license registration to MN, and everything else we can do.
With all that done, there HAS to be a shot.
hahah

SO.....
I guess i've pretty much made up my mind too.....

MINNESOTA C/O 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it! Welcome, Zoogirl88!

Now join the facebook group :)!

I did!!! YAY!!

I am SO excited!!!

(so much more excited that I was about my IS)
HAHAHA

:D

I already congratulated you on Facebook, but that's fantastic, zoogirl!

I am so excited about our class. We have such awesome people already!

Coud I maybe get that fact sheet too? I'd love to have a better grip on how things are done.

Also, I'm wondering - When do we know about loans/financial aid/etc? Like how does this process work? The letter said we'd receive a "financial aid award notice" in July, so do we like apply for loans after we get that or what?

I'm sort of clueless about the timing and logistics of this whole process since I didn't have to take out loans for undergrad. Caninerepro, do you know when things happen?

Coud I maybe get that fact sheet too? I'd love to have a better grip on how things are done.

Also, I'm wondering - When do we know about loans/financial aid/etc? Like how does this process work? The letter said we'd receive a "financial aid award notice" in July, so do we like apply for loans after we get that or what?

I'm sort of clueless about the timing and logistics of this whole process since I didn't have to take out loans for undergrad. Caninerepro, do you know when things happen?

Sure thing! PM me your e-mail address!

Yes financial aid happens in July, and you do not get the $ until a week before classes start. But, you will be offered plenty, as in school costs plus about $10,000/year to live on, roughly. My total loan package is about $65,000/yr. I took everything they offered and am paying for it by myself. You do not have to take everything offered. Just fill out your FAFSA, and MN will take care of the rest. You may want to contact the office about questions, I am sure they know more than I do. :)

BTW the office is like five or six people whose sole job is to take care of US the vet students, and they are awesome. They will know your names, fast. Be ready for the anatomy professor to know everyone's name on day one. It is creepy, but so cool that Dr. Cox takes the time to do that before school even starts. Our anatomy professors ROCK, they are awesome, and everyone's favorites. We have two anatomy professors who are both in their seventies and are everyone's favorite grandpa figures. The third one is not nearly their age -- 39ish ;), but she is equally awesome.

Yes financial aid happens in July, and you do not get the $ until a week before classes start. But, you will be offered plenty, as in school costs plus about $10,000/year to live on, roughly. My total loan package is about $65,000/yr. I took everything they offered and am paying for it by myself. You do not have to take everything offered. Just fill out your FAFSA, and MN will take care of the rest. You may want to contact the office about questions, I am sure they know more than I do. :)

BTW the office is like five or six people whose sole job is to take care of US the vet students, and they are awesome. They will know your names, fast. Be ready for the anatomy professor to know everyone's name on day one. It is creepy, but so cool that Dr. Cox takes the time to do that before school even starts. Our anatomy professors ROCK, they are awesome, and everyone's favorites. We have two anatomy professors who are both in their seventies and are everyone's favorite grandpa figures. The third one is not nearly their age -- 39ish ;), but she is equally awesome.

$65,000 !?!?!?! *GULP* :scared: Can I get away with...$50,000?

Ok, cool, I'm glad they'll help out by doing that legwork. :)

...although I'm w/ zeeb, I might try to take less.

So I'm 99% sure it's Minnesota for me. One more wrinkle to iron out and then I'll send in my deposit. :D

Glad to hear it, P.

I sent in my deposit on Tuesday- but now I'm freaked out that I checked the wrong box :). I'll be glad when they cash their check.

I'm 100% goin to minnesota. See you in the fall!

!!!!!!RILEYROO!!!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited? : )

I am terrified of the tuition but I was blown away when I was there and this class is full of incredible people who have been so supportive from day one!

I am terrified of the tuition but I was blown away when I was there and this class is full of incredible people who have been so supportive from day one!

I completely agree! The Minnesota class of 2014 is going to be amazing.

Have you joined the Facebook group yet?

I really do think we're going to have an amazing class! :) I'm so glad that you're going to be a part of it.

WELCOME x 1,000,000!

yay rileyroo! :banana::banana: We'll work on gaining residency together, k? Don't stress too much about it, Minnesota is an amazing school and it will be worth it in the end!

I'm so excited I still feel like its a dream

I agree Rileyroo!
I am terrified about the tuition, but everyone here seems so supportive!! Thanks everyone!!

In the end, I am hoping we won't regret paying the extra money.

I just sometimes feel like i'm stupid for choosing OOS even after I got accepted to my IS.....