Minnesota c/o 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just sometimes feel like i'm stupid for choosing OOS even after I got accepted to my IS.....

Meh, I'm almost positive I'm doin' it. We can be stoopid together.

Members don't see this ad.

Tiktaalik,

Is your handle a reference to this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiktaalik

If so, that's awesome.

We should talk... about the Devonian period or something... :)

I was almost an evolutionary biologist.

Oh, yeah, and WELCOME TO OUR CLASS!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
<----------

Chuck = Charles Darwin

My boyfriend and I celebrated the sesquicentennial of The Origin of Species with DQ cake.

<----------

Chuck = Charles Darwin

My boyfriend and I celebrated the sesquicentennial of The Origin of Species with DQ cake.

This is awesome. Minnesota c/o 2014 is the coolest group of people ever, seriously. Has anyone read the "introductions" in the Facebook thread? Someone has a 20 year old frog. I'm stoked. :thumbup:

This is awesome. Minnesota c/o 2014 is the coolest group of people ever, seriously. Has anyone read the "introductions" in the Facebook thread? Someone has a 20 year old frog. I'm stoked. :thumbup:

I wonder if it's a Xenopus, those things live forever.

And ellie, yes, and that's awesome, lol! Evolution is like my favorite thing to read about - I've got books EVERYWHERE in my apartment. It reminds me that all living things are related, and the medicine & biology I learn is for all animals, human and nonhuman alike. And, you know, that's a nice thought :)

Dude, evolution is ridiculously cool. And I know what you mean- thinking about it makes me philosophical.

That being said, I hope I'm not offending anyone (apologies!)- I know evolution is a bit of a controversial topic...

I got accepted too. I am so excited!!! It is an excellent school
so we should all be so proud of our accomplishments. I am new to the
SDN. I had to chat with you guys since we will be spending four years
together. I have already met a few of our class mates and they are awesome. We have a great group of people joining us. Yeah Class of 2014!
Oh is anyone going to join the raptor club? I am so joining. I love their
raptor center. :soexcited:

Dude, evolution is ridiculously cool. And I know what you mean- thinking about it makes me philosophical.

That being said, I hope I'm not offending anyone (apologies!)- I know evolution is a bit of a controversial topic...

Oh, don't be so Minnesotan :p, it shouldn't offend anyone here, since we've all passed at least one Biology class.

Edit: Congrats honu! I was wondering about the raptor club - they have that whole center, but then I didn't hear much about it during the tour. Our guide tried to take us over there, but it was closed or something.

You have to visit the raptor center. Did I read that someone in our class
has a 20 year old frog? That is seriously amazing.

You have to visit the raptor center. Did I read that someone in our class
has a 20 year old frog? That is seriously amazing.

YEAH! Join the Facebook group! :)

And I'm excited about the raptor center. I took a course on avian husbandry in undergrad, pretty cool stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then you'll do fine :). Fortunately, Minnesotans are generally well-intentioned.

Apparently there's a thing called "Iowa Stubborn"- I wanted to post it for HandD- but I'm not sure if she's around these parts anymore... which is totally a bummer.

P.S. This past week has resulted in a very poor work productivity to SDN postings ratio. I'm just SO excited.

P.S. This past week has resulted in a very poor work productivity to SDN postings ratio. I'm just SO excited.

So true. Fortunately, I'm on spring break this week, but next week I'll have to get back to the real world...

Also, welcome, honu! And congrats!

Last edited:
Then you'll do fine :). Fortunately, Minnesotans are generally well-intentioned.

Apparently there's a thing called "Iowa Stubborn"- I wanted to post it for HandD- but I'm not sure if she's around these parts anymore... which is totally a bummer.

Yep, still here stalking as a dissapointed loser:cool:

Edited to Add...I think my remaining obsession with MN must be akin to someone stalking their ex-boyfriend on facebook and looking at all of the pictures of his hot, skinny new girlfriend. Gah, freaking depressing! Not that I would ever, ever do anything like that ;)

Last edited:
NOT a loser. Just a person who got shafted in the application process. And a future Iowa Stater. Which is actually really awesome.

Apparently "Iowa Stubborn" = polite, reserved and stoic demeanor, as well as their special "chip on the shoulder attitude . For example:
"We can be cold as our falling thermometers in December if you ask about our weather in July. And we're so by God stubborn we can stand touchin' noses for a week at a time, and never see Eye to Eye."

I guess someone wrote a song about it. Anyway, you'll have to report back.

Last edited:
Had to edit- formatting was weird.

Anyway, that "example" makes no sense to me :).

I said to myself that I was gonna finish my OK State animal nutrition homework this week.

Um, fail.

Thanks for the link elliepants.
I will be sure to read up on Minnesotan nice.
I will be joining facebook as soon as I can too.
I have never been a facebook member so it should
be a new experience for me. :)

NOT a loser. Just a person who got shafted in the application process. And a future Iowa Stater. Which is actually really awesome.

Apparently "Iowa Stubborn" = polite, reserved and stoic demeanor, as well as their special "chip on the shoulder attitude . For example:
“We can be cold as our falling thermometers in December if you ask about our weather in July. And we're so by God stubborn we can stand touchin' noses for a week at a time, and never see Eye to Eye.”

I guess someone wrote a song about it. Anyway, you'll have to report back.

Hah! Will do!

I have already experience 'Iowa friendly' which is actually way more friendly then 'Minnesota nice.'

At the hotel breakfast room the last time I was in Ames I had this nice older trucker regale me with all sorts of stories of his drive, the city of Ames, the vet school and even his own personal veterinarian, who of course, went to ISU (This was without me telling him why I was in Ames). At first I was totally like, "Ahhh, this guy is going to kill me and stuff me in his truck," but then I realized he was just being 'Iowa friendly.' In MN, he probably would have killed me and stuck me in bits in the truck. :p TIC

It's really nice to finally talk to you guys. I can't wait to meet
everyone in person when classes begin. I haven't been getting
much work done either but I have graduated already and I am currently
working and today is my day off.

Hah! Will do!

I have already experience 'Iowa friendly' which is actually way more friendly then 'Minnesota nice.'

At the hotel breakfast room the last time I was in Ames I had this nice older trucker regale me with all sorts of stories of his drive, the city of Ames, the vet school and even his own personal veterinarian, who of course, went to ISU (This was without me telling him why I was in Ames). At first I was totally like, "Ahhh, this guy is going to kill me and stuff me in his truck," but then I realized he was just being 'Iowa friendly.' In MN, he probably would have killed me and stuck me in bits in the truck. :p TIC

That is really funny. In California we don't have any sayings like that.
I wish we did. We are nice too though. :D

Yeah, I just about peed in my pants laughing at this. Oh, HandD, we will miss you. Please transfer.

Are any of you bringing pets with you? I have two cats that are moving with
me.

Oh I am sad that your not joining us. Good luck to
you though.

Hah! Will do!

Hee! I had a similar experience at my Iowa State interview. I stopped to get something for my cold and my pharmacist told me all about her college roommate who was in her final year at ISU CVM and how much she loved it. I was pretty sure she wasn't going to slip something into my Claritin, but I was not used to such utter friendliness to a complete stranger!

I'm a bit jealous of you, HandD, the Ames community rocks!

I'm a bit jealous of you, HandD, the Ames community rocks!

It sounds like it.

HandD- as much as we'll miss you- you're going to have a great 4 years at ISU.

but I still want you to transfer.

crazy thing....

Karen Nelson called me yesterday???

did she call anyone else???

crazy thing....

Karen Nelson called me yesterday???

did she call anyone else???

Awesome! What did she say? Encouraging you to come and that sort of thing?

Awesome! What did she say? Encouraging you to come and that sort of thing?

Yeah, she called to tell me congrats, and to make sure I got my acceptance packet. She also told me that I did well in my interview, and the team really enjoyed meeting me.

She (and everyone in MN) seem so nice!! I returned the call, but she is out of the office until the 20-something.

I am still on the fence about school. My vet told me today that IL and MN programs are in the same ball field, so he doesn't think I would get a "betteR" education at one school vs. the other.

I still don't know what to do!! :(

I returned the call, but she is out of the office until the 20-something.

They're on spring break, so I guess, that's not super-surprising. Still, I hope that doesn't stop Mark Rutherford from getting back to me like he said he would.

I wonder if they're gonna call everybody, or if they just really wanted to convince you. Did you mention that you were going to have trouble deciding when you interviewed or something? I didn't get a call, but I don't need the the encouragement to go, so that's ok :)

I didn't get a call either. Zoogirl, you must be special ;) I think this is the PERFECT reason why you should attend MN instead of IL, what's a few extra thousand dollars in debt?

Haha. No, I didn't mention that I was having trouble deciding. I really wish that they weren't out of the office, because I wanted her to call me back. I am having such a tough time deciding, and now my choices are back to 50-50, if not leaning a little more towards IL.

My vet at home said something about possibly playing ball with them. If they really want me, then they might make exceptions to the OOS tuition. I'm not getting any hopes up, definitely. But it would make me go to MN if they did!!

At my point in the deciding process now, the schools are both tied with their programs. The IS tuition is just looking a TON better than at least 43k a year.

I'm not sure....

I think I am going to email Karen Nelson, then maybe she will be more likely to get back to me, and I can talk to her about my concerns.

I emailed the woman in charge of residency, and she never got in touch with me.

Haha. No, I didn't mention that I was having trouble deciding. I really wish that they weren't out of the office, because I wanted her to call me back. I am having such a tough time deciding, and now my choices are back to 50-50, if not leaning a little more towards IL.

My vet at home said something about possibly playing ball with them. If they really want me, then they might make exceptions to the OOS tuition. I'm not getting any hopes up, definitely. But it would make me go to MN if they did!!

At my point in the deciding process now, the schools are both tied with their programs. The IS tuition is just looking a TON better than at least 43k a year.

I'm not sure....

I think I am going to email Karen Nelson, then maybe she will be more likely to get back to me, and I can talk to her about my concerns.

I emailed the woman in charge of residency, and she never got in touch with me.

It's definitely worth looking into...I don't think they can technically make an exception to the OOS tuition, but they might offer you a scholarship. Good luck!

And for all those people wondering about getting MN residency once you're in the school, it's REALLY hard. One of the vets who I work with went to U of MN five years ago and was completely stymied in her efforts to establish residency. Basically, you either marry a resident or buy a house and establish a business in Minnesota. They want to see that you will spend money in their state years after you graduate...

Can 2 OOS students marry each other once Minnesota recognizes them as residents? Then having the school recognize them both as instate?

This may not make any sense...

Can 2 OOS students marry each other once Minnesota recognizes them as residents? Then having the school recognize them both as instate?

This may not make any sense...

Once you're a resident, I don't think they care what you do afterward.

It's definitely worth looking into...I don't think they can technically make an exception to the OOS tuition, but they might offer you a scholarship. Good luck!

And for all those people wondering about getting MN residency once you're in the school, it's REALLY hard. One of the vets who I work with went to U of MN five years ago and was completely stymied in her efforts to establish residency. Basically, you either marry a resident or buy a house and establish a business in Minnesota. They want to see that you will spend money in their state years after you graduate...

So... does that mean that if you marry a resident, you are almost guaranteed IS tuition???

I will be married when I move to MN, so by my second year, if I claim I am married to a resident, will I be IS??

So... does that mean that if you marry a resident, you are almost guaranteed IS tuition???

I will be married when I move to MN, so by my second year, if I claim I am married to a resident, will I be IS??

According to everything I've read, yes.

hahaha.

caninerepro-

Is this true?? Marry, and you will get residency for the school?

Class of 2013ers, is it true that Minnesota's student health insurance covers your rabies vaccinations in the fall? I seem to remember hearing something about that...

Class of 2013ers, is it true that Minnesota's student health insurance covers your rabies vaccinations in the fall? I seem to remember hearing something about that...

I remember them saying that, too.

One of our panelists (a certain Caninerepro... :laugh: ) told us to just hold out and get it when the year started, if I remember right.

Good thing, too, b/c my local health center has to special order it and they charge $600. :eek:

I e-mailed Karen Nelson about this.

She replied:

"Students are not required to have their vaccinations before classes begin. Students will have the option to participate in a rabies vaccination clinic during the first semester. You can certainly welcome to get vaccinated before school starts if your insurance covers it (although most insurance policies do not cover it and is therefore very expensive)."

So, I'm hoping that means it's covered under student health insurance.