minnesota interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takingyearoff?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to hear some good news from anyone who interviewed with me on november 19. pm me if you want or just tell me here. Or is everyone like me and heard nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on November 8th and I still haven't heard anything. :eek:
I will be eagerly awaiting their response. :scared:
Good luck!!

I interviewed in early November, and was informed last week that I'm an alternate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the letter and apparently I am an alternate as well. Not the best news, but it could be worse.

Daheinah said:
Just got the letter and apparently I am an alternate as well. Not the best news, but it could be worse.

Thats because the majority of the kids they take are from wisc, minn, ND and SD. They only take like 3 or maybe 4 from outside that region, wven if you have a 4.0.

JamesD said:
Thats because the majority of the kids they take are from wisc, minn, ND and SD. They only take like 3 or maybe 4 from outside that region, wven if you have a 4.0.

i hope that's the case. already in the U of M system too. still need a high gpa though, i thought i saw the avg gpa and bcp gpa around 3.5+.

UMDeeMan said:
i hope that's the case. already in the U of M system too. still need a high gpa though, i thought i saw the avg gpa and bcp gpa around 3.5+.

Yep, except the avg gpa will be around 3.6 from people i have talked to. Now its harder to get into their dent school than med. You'll have a better chance than an outta state app.

JamesD said:
You'll have a better chance than an outta state app.

That's for damn sure. :) Even with a 24 AA, some pretty solid "life" experiences (jobs, awards, accomplishments), and growing up in the state (but lost my residency last year because of my job), I doubt I'll be accepted since I haven't heard from them yet and interviewed awhile back.

We got a ton of very competitive applicants this year (as I am sure every school did). Avg GPA is indeed going to be at least 3.6, DAT avg 19-20. I know many in state residents with higher stats that haven't been accepted yet. If you are out of state or out of region your chances are slim to none. My class only has one out of region student (from colorado). I'll try to keep you updated when I get new info.

dr_benj-
Thank you for being honest about our chances (out of staters). I knew I had a snowballs chance in hell, but I figured that U of M had a great reputation and why not! For some reason, it makes me feel better than only ONE out of region applicant got in...
Thanks!

Daheinah,

I was just wondering what you thought of your interview at Colorado? Did you like the school? Would you go there? thanks.

dr_benj said:
We got a ton of very competitive applicants this year (as I am sure every school did). Avg GPA is indeed going to be at least 3.6, DAT avg 19-20. I know many in state residents with higher stats that haven't been accepted yet. If you are out of state or out of region your chances are slim to none. My class only has one out of region student (from colorado). I'll try to keep you updated when I get new info.

dr benj, you said you are a D-1 at UMN dental?? you know a holly thompson?

dr_benj,
Do you know if there has been much movement on the U's waitlist in years past?

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDeeMan everytime i see your avatar i have to look at it twice. it just strange heh

dr_benj said:

Is it true that you have a summer semester as well as the regular semesters?

runveryfast-
Actually I haven't yet interviewed with Colorado, I got the form saying that they would schedule one with me but they haven't yet notified me. Sorry about the confusion! I just read about the school and they have a great program. I have heard that they often interview in groups (2-1 or 3-1) and that the relatively small class size is absolutely great for faculty-student interaction. Are you applying there??

JamesD said:
Is it true that you have a summer semester as well as the regular semesters?
'Tis true according to the curriculum sheet I received when I interviewed.

Don't most dental schools? It seems as though most dental schools tend to prefer a more "year-round" educational experience...

rocknightmare said:
UMDeeMan everytime i see your avatar i have to look at it twice. it just strange heh

no....it's just AWESOME. much like how AWESOME i am.

drat said:
'Tis true according to the curriculum sheet I received when I interviewed.

Man that sucks, i like the school but i would like summers off to work so i can get some money as loans only go so far :mad:

So is there just less credits during fall and spring to spread it out?

JamesD said:
Man that sucks, i like the school but i would like summers off to work so i can get some money as loans only go so far :mad:

So is there just less credits during fall and spring to spread it out?
I don't have the sheet with me, but the credit hours were like 24ish during traditional terms (fall,spring) and like 10ish during the summer...Please correct if I'm wrong...It's been a few months and I haven't looked at it recently.
EDIT: Here's a link -- but I'm an idiot and don't understand it. :)
http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/prosstudent/Curriculum_Hours__First_Year76.html

Daheinah said:
runveryfast-
Actually I haven't yet interviewed with Colorado, I got the form saying that they would schedule one with me but they haven't yet notified me. Sorry about the confusion! I just read about the school and they have a great program. I have heard that they often interview in groups (2-1 or 3-1) and that the relatively small class size is absolutely great for faculty-student interaction. Are you applying there??

Daheinah,
Thanks for the reply. I interviewed there and just sent in my letter of acceptance to them. I've tried posting threads about what people think of Colorado, but there is never really much of a response. I just wanted to hear others viewpoints. If you want to know anything about the interview or have questions let me know.

runveryfast-
That's great! Congrats on your acceptance! How was your interview, was it in a group or individual?? Have they moved into their new facility yet?

Daheinah said:
runveryfast-
That's great! Congrats on your acceptance! How was your interview, was it in a group or individual?? Have they moved into their new facility yet?

The interview was just like a conversation and I just answered the questions as honestly as possible. There were two dentists that interviewed me. They are supposed to move into the new facility in the summer, so they just gave us a tour of the present building. Good luck with your interview.

sonrisa dentista said:
dr_benj,
Do you know if there has been much movement on the U's waitlist in years past?

I got in last year on Dec 1st and turned Minnesota down. So there obviously is movement. However, I agree with Dr. Benj that they heavily favor regional applicants.

Does anyone know how many people Minnesota interviews for its spots, or what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

Minnesota interviews about 350 people for 97 spots. Out of these 97 spots about 2/3 are MN residents and 1/3 are regional applicant. Very few other students are offered acceptances.

FYI, I'm an out-of-state applicant (and out-of-region) that recently got accepted to Minnesota! Chances might be slim to none, but it IS possible -- stay hopeful, fellow out-of-regioners!
:luck:

I interviewed in Nov. and am an alternate. I thought I had a good chance until I read about the abyssmal (sp?) chances for out-of region applicants. Hopefully I get in at my state school or I'm SCREWED! :laugh: