UVM Larner (60k) vs Oklahoma vs Minnesota TC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZombieDante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For context I'm a non-trad black male with a partner, as this plays a big role into why I'm trying to decide.

Larner Vermont
Pros
  • Offering me a 60k scholarship ($15k per year)
  • Liberal State
  • Somewhat better rep than state school
Cons
  • The "reverse lecture" structure or whatever it's called makes me nervous. I've always been the type of person who learns better with a lecture. However, my gen chem class was taught this way and I learned so much but it was weird.
  • Trying to move my family from OK to vermont would be difficult
  • No family support there (no one I know lives there)
  • Cost of living increase
Oklahoma
Pros
  • Already have a rental house here and landlord willing to give me a 2year lease option
  • My entire family is here (tho I'm not the closest to them)
  • Partner already has a good paying job here
Cons
  • School doesn't really have any weight behind its reputation
  • Conservative state and won't be able to learn much that doesn't match with that ideology (ex abortion care)
  • Heard that the enviroment can be really cut-throat amongst students and not much support from admin
Minnesota
Pros
  • Good reputation
  • True P/F
  • Have an aunt who lives in the area who would help us out if needed
  • Liberal State
Cons
  • Price of living slight increase
  • Would have to pay OOS tuition
  • Partner doesn't have a job there

Summary: I'm really not feeling vermont that much but I feel with that bigger scholarship I would be a full to turn it down esp compared to my state school. Minnessota seems best, but nervous about Step 1 being pass fail, without ranking it would be hard to stand out.

Members don't see this ad.

Vermont is going to be more expensive than OU if that is your state school. Go to OU since it doesn’t require you to uproot you or your partner’s life.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you underestimate how liberal academia is. I would be shocked if the majority of your professors at OU were not liberal and not teaching you things like abortion care (regardless of its current legal status in OK). OU is a great school, and I highly doubt that your education would be any different simply by going to a "liberal state" to do anki and UWorld vs staying in a conservative state to do anki and UWorld. Also keep in mind that Oklahoma City itself typically votes liberal. If you're interested in OB/GYN or perhaps reproductive endocrinology/surgery, then it may matter more to do your residency training in a liberal state, but for med school, it really doesn't matter. I had 6 weeks of OBGYN during 3rd year and I've never seen an abortion (it's legal in my state). I don't think anyone in my class did tbh.

If OU is your cheapest option, then this sounds like a no brainer based on your family's situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users