Minnesota vs. Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It'd be nice if MSU's deposit wasn't $1000. How did you rank MSU before you had seen any schools? Just based on research and what you had heard about it.

Right, exactly. I applied to 14 schools and considered the % of OOS per class for the various schools. I really didn't consider the US News rankings because they are often misleading. I did, however, take into consideration some words of advice from the five vets that I work with (representatives of U of Illinois, KSU, UMN, and Penn) and from other vets that I've met. And from what I had read about MSU: it seemed to have a good, solid program (and it's not too far from my bf's family too). The only downside about MSU that is readily apparent is that it is located in a state that has been hit particularly hard by the economy and I wonder how that affects the hospital caseload etc. Oh, and their deposit is insane. Probably to disuade people people like me from holding a spot while they are waiting to hear from other schools' waitlists...
 
Is it Illinois now even if you can get IS after your first year at MN?

So... I just found out last night that it is pretty much impossible to get residency. Even after you do all the things they "suggest", there still isn't a good enough chance.

🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... I just found out last night that it is pretty much impossible to get residency. Even after you do all the things they "suggest", there still isn't a good enough chance.

🙁

Were you able to speak with Karen Nelson? And did you mention the fact that you're getting married?
 
I WILL be going to visit MSU next friday. I found relatively inexpensive airfare (and my family decided to chip in) and I'm flying a red-eye so I won't miss my lab...
 
I haven't talked to any people in admin at the school. I have talked to students who have gone to the process. Marrying doesn't matter that much.... the best chance is to buy a house.... which I don't want to buy a house. so....

I am still waiting to talk to Karen Nelson to make my decision.

But yesterday I received a scholarship for Illinois. So...... that is influencing my decision a little too.

I don't WANT to go to IL, but I also don't think I can justify paying that much for tuition OOS
 
Congrats on the scholarship! That is awesome. With a scholarship and lower tuition it would be hard to turn down Illinois and it is an awesome school too! Its a nice spot to be in to be able to decide between Illinois and Minnesota.
 
Congrats on the scholarship!

With a scholarship at your IS, I can't in good conscience encourage you to turn your IS down to go to Minnesota, as much as we'd all love to see you there next fall 🙁
 
Yeah, I mean the scholarship isn't much, but it's something.

I think I have decided though that I'm going to attend Illinois. As much as I loved MN, it is just too much money when my IS is just as good a school and is way cheaper.

Another factor I have is that my fiance is currently on disability (he has an autonomic nervous system problem where his blood pressure doesn't compensate when he bends over or changes positions rapidly)
So... once i'm in school and even graduated, there is no guarantee that he will have a job. (at least a good paying one)
With all that in mind, I think it's better to just go to my IS.

I would feel better knowing that I can be done paying my student loans 5-10 years sooner.
 
As much as I loved MN, it is just too much money when my IS is just as good a school and is way cheaper.

Completely understandable. I wish you the best! Hope Illinois is even better than you expect. Their new curriculum sounds awesome.