OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
and what do you think of the school?
i heard the interviews will be different this year...2 people in the room asking you questions....questions will be what-you-would-do-in-this-situation type....

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Dental Student
i heard the interviews will be different this year...2 people in the room asking you questions....questions will be what-you-would-do-in-this-situation type....
I have heard they have a good program and many opportunities for involvement in research.
I am not sure about their interview outline..

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
yea they do have a great research program....i think the school overall is like the top 5....even options for undergraduates to participate......

May 27, 2009
Kansas City, MO
Status
Dental Student
My pops went there back in the day. He loved it and the fact it was a commuter school. Not to sure If I would have enjoyed that. But I didnt apply there.

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Im applying as well, a guy I know is starting this fall and had a choice between 5 acceptances and chose Minnesota, said it looks like a great program and I guess their clinic is top of the line.

razblo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
MN
Status
I'm applying there. I have a few connections there and have toured it a few times and I really like it.

I live in Minnesota so hopefully that should help. :p

I have heard they have a good program and many opportunities for involvement in research.
I am not sure about their interview outline..
My dad is an alumni and he receives newsletters and stuff like that and he read that their goal is to be one of the best researching schools in the nation.

Jul 31, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
I'm applying there. I have a few connections there and have toured it a few times and I really like it.

I live in Minnesota so hopefully that should help. :p

My dad is an alumni and he receives newsletters and stuff like that and he read that their goal is to be one of the best researching schools in the nation.

i'm pretty sure it will ;)

gopher341238

OMSGunnin'
10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I'm applying to Minnesota as well since it seems to have a great program! Where did you hear about this new type of interview?

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
It's a situation based interview, where you describe a given situation under certain circumstances. This method is nice as one cannot really prefabricate a pool of responses.

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I went to the advising session with Nicki Cook. Shes one of the admission committee people and thats what she said that they will do this year. There will be 2 interviewers because they want more point of view from the committe instead of the one point of view.

I had one of these interviews before and DIDNT GET THE JOB!!

I'm applying to Minnesota as well since it seems to have a great program! Where did you hear about this new type of interview?

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
I went to the advising session with Nicki Cook. Shes one of the admission committee people and thats what she said that they will do this year. There will be 2 interviewers because they want more point of view from the committe instead of the one point of view.

I had one of these interviews before and DIDNT GET THE JOB!!
Same as last year then.

Alekshura2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Status
Pre-Dental
One of the dental students gave me tour today of the MN dental school. Wow, it is amazing, you don't know how much i want to get in now. The sim lab is just amazing. Why does it have to be so hard, i just wanna get in already?

pinetar321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
check out predents and use the member search tool

Last edited:
OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea I toured the school twice already and yup! its pretty cool!.....so high tech its like a video game.....nintendo wiis....

I know the education and the overall school is excellent...the professors seems nice and professional

One of the dental students gave me tour today of the MN dental school. Wow, it is amazing, you don't know how much i want to get in now. The sim lab is just amazing. Why does it have to be so hard, i just wanna get in already?

yuppers

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea I toured the school twice already and yup! its pretty cool!.....so high tech its like a video game.....nintendo wiis....

I know the education and the overall school is excellent...the professors seems nice and professional
How did you set up the tours?

Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I think the school looks great, based on their website & promo video. Looks like amazing facilities and a well respected school, and you gotta love Minnesotans, don'tcha kno. :thumbup:

BUT... major bummer about their Psychology requirement. I never took Psychology and I won't have time to fit it in this year, either. :(

Ah well, Minnesota is too cold, anyway. Yeah, that's it....

Herme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Just got an email for an interview today! I noticed earlier in the thread the new interview format-does anyone remember what types of questions they were asking? Ethics questions and stuff? Seems so open ended and different than the standard "Why do you want to be a dentist and Why do you want to attend our school?" types of questions.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Just got an email for an interview today! I noticed earlier in the thread the new interview format-does anyone remember what types of questions they were asking? Ethics questions and stuff? Seems so open ended and different than the standard "Why do you want to be a dentist and Why do you want to attend our school?" types of questions.
See post 14.

They have several pages, so there's no way one can pin point the specific questions. Additionally, look and see if SDN's interview thread has been updated.

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
IT IS COLD!!! matter of fact...the coldest temperature recorded in the US is in MN....-64F or something....

I think the school looks great, based on their website & promo video. Looks like amazing facilities and a well respected school, and you gotta love Minnesotans, don'tcha kno. :thumbup:

BUT... major bummer about their Psychology requirement. I never took Psychology and I won't have time to fit it in this year, either. :(

Ah well, Minnesota is too cold, anyway. Yeah, that's it....

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
good luck....call the admissions office and ask them how you can prepare for the interview......during the advising sessions....they "kind of" talked about it but it wasn't in depth...but call and ask...

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
when is ur interview anyways and when did u send in ur apps?

razblo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
MN
Status
IT IS COLD!!! matter of fact...the coldest temperature recorded in the US is in MN....-64F or something....
It's not that cold.... all the time :p

It was in the 70s/80s today with 90s over the weekend and I remember at least one Christmas where there wasn't even any snow on the ground :laugh:

I asked a U of M dental student what the hardest interview question was and he said they asked him something like "How have you dealt with diversity?", or something like that relating to ethnic diversity. I believe he's close to graduating (possibly even this year) so that question may be irrelevant with the new administration they have going. Either way I think that's a tough question and it wouldn't be bad to think about it before hand incase you did get asked.

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I remember that christmas!!! how depressing.....it felt like christmas in july....Its either really hot W/ humidity or really cold.....and maybe one week of nice weather in between....Minnesotans are the archaens who lives in extreme conditions...

Pretend that question was asked on you...how would you answer it?

It's not that cold.... all the time :p

It was in the 70s/80s today with 90s over the weekend and I remember at least one Christmas where there wasn't even any snow on the ground :laugh:

I asked a U of M dental student what the hardest interview question was and he said they asked him something like "How have you dealt with diversity?", or something like that relating to ethnic diversity. I believe he's close to graduating (possibly even this year) so that question may be irrelevant with the new administration they have going. Either way I think that's a tough question and it wouldn't be bad to think about it before hand incase you did get asked.

razblo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
MN
Status
I remember that christmas!!! how depressing.....it felt like christmas in july....Its either really hot W/ humidity or really cold.....and maybe one week of nice weather in between....Minnesotans are the archaens who lives in extreme conditions...

Pretend that question was asked on you...how would you answer it?
I would probably talk about living in a somewhat diverse town, I go to a university that's pretty diverse university, I have have friends of different races and genders, and that I spend a fairly good amount of time with my grandparents (not of a different race but their way of thinking is from a different time).

Herme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks! I'll check those other posts. Interview is Sept 9. Predents has my other info, but I sent in my app on June 14 and it was mailed on July 10. Of the schools I applied to, I've heard that either my app is complete or I've received a secondary (where applicable), but MN is the first one that has offered an interview as of yet.

Herme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
See post 14.

They have several pages, so there's no way one can pin point the specific questions. Additionally, look and see if SDN's interview thread has been updated.
Where is this year's interview thread? I have not been able to find it?

Herme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Where is this year's interview thread? I have not been able to find it?
Nevermind that last question. i found it.

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi I have a problem....

the personal statement questions on AADSAS and the statements on the supplement are somewhat the same...i wrote the PS for AADSAS and now the supplement seem like its just asking me to repeat it...what should i do?

did anyone run in to this?

yuppers

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi I have a problem....

the personal statement questions on AADSAS and the statements on the supplement are somewhat the same...i wrote the PS for AADSAS and now the supplement seem like its just asking me to repeat it...what should i do?

did anyone run in to this?
I sorta of stated the same things but just focused on it from a different angle. The PS was more story-like while the supp app was pretty much just stating things. Also for one of the later questions I just tried to explain how I am a unique individual.

Aug 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
last years interview was hard as ****. all situational down to a specific point in time when you felt some specific emotion or whatever. theres not really a way to prepare since the questions are so non-generic... did anyone call and ask if there is a way to prepare like some kid said up there? i would feel like a tool doing that but thats jsut not my personality.

but who knows, nobody has interviewed yet so they might have a completely different style now, interviews from 09 changed a lot from 08 from what ive seen... sdners just think they know everything.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
has anyone applied without the sociology req and then got accepted?

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Dental Student
People who received interview invites, have you received the promised email with more info about the interview?..
thanks

Herme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
People who received interview invites, have you received the promised email with more info about the interview?..
thanks
I have not, but was wondering about that also. I did get a response email to my confirmation though, but that was more like a confirmation that they received my confirmation.

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Dental Student
I have not, but was wondering about that also. I did get a response email to my confirmation though, but that was more like a confirmation that they received my confirmation.
Oh. I guess they haven't yet sent those out.
I called them to confirm the date so I didn't get an email of confirmation of confirmation :D

Mister Incisor

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I got the same reply to my confirmation e-mail I sent to them. Their reply was pretty much a 'thank you, i'll see you then."

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Dental Student
I called U Minn today about the "need-to-know" info and they said they haven't yet sent it out. They also said that there is nothing urgent there, just saying where the itnerview will take place, etc.

Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? And now that people have gotten interviews for the first round does that mean that it will be a while before they contact people for the second round of interviews??

OP
O
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea...im wondering the same thing....when would the committee pick the next pool for interview??

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets? And now that people have gotten interviews for the first round does that mean that it will be a while before they contact people for the second round of interviews??

Herme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Just to let you know, I finally received the email with the much anticipated "need-to-know information about my interview. It was way overplayed! It's just a couple pages about the state of MN, hotel recommendations, and parking.

yuppers

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Just to let you know, I finally received the email with the much anticipated "need-to-know information about my interview. It was way overplayed! It's just a couple pages about the state of MN, hotel recommendations, and parking.
Let us know how the interview goes.