Minor for pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Em_22

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m a freshman and am majoring in a science as pre-dental. I was previously very set on minoring in art history just because I really enjoy learning about it. I recently started thinking I could benefit more from a business administration minor in case I want to open my own practice in the future, but it requires a lot of credits at my school and would require me to drop my art history minor and I feel like I would regret this. Can any pre-dental or dental student or dentist speak to how helpful a business minor would be in this field? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The age old saying is to major in what makes money, and minor in what you’re passionate about. If you like art history then minor in that. Business classes would be good to take on the side, but the credits needed for a bus minor probably wouldn’t really give you a leg up on the business side of dentistry IMO. It’d be nice but probably not enough to drop your other minor. You’d just be looking at a lot of useless supply and demand curves. It’s best to just selectively pick bus classes like personal finance, marketing, etc. Also know that minors (and even double majors) make really 0 difference on an application, so make sure you’re doing it for your your own reasons!

Reactions: 3 users
Does your school offer a health admin minor? That would be a great option because the material would be better suited to your business needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with art history. You are only in undergrad once and since you enjoy the classes the work in those classes won’t drain you and leave you plenty of energy to tackle the science classes.

I got a business minor myself. Will it help....yeah, maybe a little, but truthfully I doubt I’ll remember much of it by the time I complete my DDS. Life (done well) requires a lot of hard work, but you need to have space to pursue varied interests so you don’t burn out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was in the same dilemma as you and I ended up going the art history route!

I loved that it was a flexible enough minor that I could fulfill a lot of the course requirements through study abroad (if that's your thing) and that I had a chance to study something I loved that I would probably never get to study again, which for me happens to be religious art and church architecture. You'll always have plenty of chances to take business CE and learn business skills in the real world as you grow as a dentist, so I say study what you enjoy while you still have the time and relative flexibility to do so.

I completely agree you should stick to art history as your minor and continue with predental.You can still open up your own dental practice in future.