Minor or double major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtillmam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I'm going to be gradusting soon, next spring, with a b.a in Biochem. If all goes well ill graduate with a 3.3 and I'm really upset with myself about it! Its not that the work is hard I just can never get my act together and study. I realize my problem and I'm desperately trying to fix it, and was wondering if picking up another minor in biology ( the necessary classes are so similar i wouldnt need too many extra classes) or minoring in chem would have an effect on my gpa and if this is a good idea? I know I can do well so I'm not worried about it hurting my gpa just don't wanna waste unnecessary time.

Thank you guys so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that is not you in your avatar...
Signed in with fb that's not even my profile pic so not sure y it popped up as my avi but I'm not sure y it matters either way. Thanks tho!

Members don't see this ad :)
Signed in with fb that's not even my profile pic so not sure y it popped up as my avi but I'm not sure y it matters either way. Thanks tho!

It's to protect your anonymity on this internet forum.

gyngyn addressing the important issues ITT.

Minoring/double majoring isn't going to do anything for you. After you've taken your prereqs take whatever you want but just do well.
I read somewhere that anything I take over 120 isn't going to count towards my gpa is that true?

I read somewhere that anything I take over 120 isn't going to count towards my gpa is that true?

120 credits? No - every UG course will will count (grad courses won't count for your UG GPA).

Reactions: 1 users
sorry I misread your original post. Since you will have graduated I'm honestly not sure.
O I graduate next spring. I've calculated what my gpa will be when I graduate, if I do extremely well the next two semesters. I read that once you get past 120 credits since that's what you need for one major the extra credits dnt count so I wanted to pick up another major in biology because it's so similar to biochemistry it's only a few extra classes and if it counts towards my GPA I could get my GPA to a 3.6 or higher

120 credits? No - every UG course will will count (grad courses won't count for your UG GPA).
Ok awesome thank you! And yeah 120 credits. I was on another thread on another site and a few people were saying that.

Ok awesome thank you! And yeah 120 credits. I was on another thread on another site and a few people were saying that.

What you're describing would be akin to doing a DIY post-bacc to raise one's GPA.

To clarify, what people misunderstood but likely trying to say that any UG course you take after you receive a degree, will show up as a separate line item under postbacc but will also be added to your UG GPAs. The advantage of this, it gives you an opportunity to have a notable GPA showing you can do the work even though total GPA may be below par.

Below is how adcoms will see your GPAs

View attachment 203830

Yup @gonnif to the rescue - OP this was what I was talking about

I hope that is not you in your avatar...
It turns out that anyone who signs up for SDN using their FB account automatically has a FB profile picture (not necessarily a current one) set as their default avatar. Was wondering why that kept happening myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I should get a red cape: what would be my "super hero" name? Advisorman. Certainly better then what I have been called on the premed advisors listserv, by an adcom no less who has sent me rejected applicants, "advisor of last resort"
Lol thank you so much for all your help! I thought all hope was lost its so comforting to know there's still a shot! I wanted to hold off on graduating anyway because I'm nervous about doing a gap year, just dont wanna get used to not being in school and then not be able to get back into the swing of things. Do you know if it matters if I apply for graduation then start taking classes again or can I take all of then and then apply for graduation? Meaning should I graduate spring 2017 then go back fall and take classes or push off graduation until fall.

Lol thank you so much for all your help! I thought all hope was lost its so comforting to know there's still a shot! I wanted to hold off on graduating anyway because I'm nervous about doing a gap year, just dont wanna get used to not being in school and then not be able to get back into the swing of things. Do you know if it matters if I apply for graduation then start taking classes again or can I take all of then and then apply for graduation? Meaning should I graduate spring 2017 then go back fall and take classes or push off graduation until fall.
I guess what I mean by that is do I actually need to graduate then go back for it to count as post bach or after I reach 120 credits just take classes then all the ones I didn't need for my degree will count as post bach. Sorry to ask very specific questions I just wanna make sure I'm understanding.

I guess what I mean by that is do I actually need to graduate then go back for it to count as post bach or after I reach 120 credits just take classes then all the ones I didn't need for my degree will count as post bach. Sorry to ask very specific questions I just wanna make sure I'm understanding.

Essentially post-bacc classes are any classes taken after your baccalaureate (aka bachelors degree) has been conferred that are not graduate courses. They won't count classes over 120 credits as post-bacc since not every school is on a semester system (I was in a quarter system that required 195 credits for my BSc) and that would just be an arbitrary limit. Plus some people get minors which would push their credits over 120 even though they're finishing up their first degrees.

So to reiterate: if you graduate this spring with your BA and then sign up for UG level courses (typically 100-400 level) in the summer or fall, those classes would count towards your post-bacc GPA (which can be subsequently added to your UG GPA). If you push back your graduation, all those additional classes would still go towards your UG GPA since your degree wasn't 'completed'. Anything else I'm missing @gonnif ?