Minority Neurosurgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abmuk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am trying to research female African-Amercian neurosurgeons.

Does anyone know of any besides Dr. Alexa Canady and Dr. Deborah Hyde-Rowan?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I thought there was another famous one...

Keith Black. He's chair of Neurosurgery at Cedar-Sinai in Los Angeles. He's one of the M.D.s featured on Time Magazine's "Heroes of Medicine" special edition in a Fall 1997 issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keith Black. He's chair of Neurosurgery at Cedar-Sinai in Los Angeles. He's one of the M.D.s featured on Time Magazine's "Heroes of Medicine" special edition in a Fall 1997 issue.

But hardly female (which is what the OP was looking for). ;)

I'll move this to Neurosurg for ya, as you might find more responses there.

I believe Holly Gilmer-Hill is at the DMC in Detroit. There was another one there who retired, and I don't remember her name off hand.

Anyone have any thoughts or info regarding why it seems that a disproportionate number of black neurosurgeons are medically trained at U-Mich?

(e.g. Drs. Ben Carson, Keith Black, Alexa Canady, Holly Gilmer-Hill)

I'm wondering whether any of the reasons behind this trend suggests that Michigan is a top choice for aspiring black neurosurgeons (like yours truly ;)).

Thanks,

-MSTPbound

PS - Not trying to :hijacked:; this question seemed to fit into this thread so I didn't want to start a new one.

Anyone have any thoughts or info regarding why it seems that a disproportionate number of black neurosurgeons are medically trained at U-Mich?

I'm wondering whether any of the reasons behind this trend suggests that Michigan is a top choice for aspiring black neurosurgeons (like yours truly ;)).

Thanks,

-MSTPbound

PS - Not trying to :hijacked:; this question seemed to fit into this thread so I didn't want to start a new one.

OK - no love, so question withdrawn. *sigh*

You have raised an interesting point. I am an African American currently applying to NS residency programs but I dont think Ill need to go to Michigan to become a success.

The way I see it is that when an African American sees another AA coming out of Michigan and becoming successfull...we look up to them and try to follow in their footsteps because NS is still without a doubt a white boy's club (no offence intended) and you want to go where you know youll be be fit in.

I think many of the NSs you listed went to Michigan probably for this reason...they felt they could fit in given the success of someone in the past. I would do the exact same thing but I think in the 21st century :D there seems to be more programs receptive to minorities especially if you've got the numbers.

This removes nothing for the Michigan program...its an excellent place for training compared to other programs in the area. (Im in a midwestern program)

Dr Deborah A. Blades of Case Western Reserve University.

Thanks,

-MSTPbound

I know that at least at the medical school level during the 70s and 80s, UMich had special programs in place to increase minority enrollment. They actually spearheaded most of the AA programs which is probably why their's was the first to get shut down. Also I know that Ben Carson has inspired numerous minority doctors to even pursue medicine so that could definitely be a reason

Let's not forget that Dr. Benjamin Carson actually trained at Hopkins (though he attended med school at Michigan)...