minority trying to get in.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ar89128

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all SDNers just wanted to get some insight from y'all, which I know I will get an honest answer. I was out of school for two years and I decided to go back to follow my childhood dreams of being a doctor. I am a minority student, mexican just to let you know. I am attending UNLV here in lovely las vegas. I am going into my sophmore year and taking o-chem, gen. phys, cal 1, and psy101. I have a 3.7 gpa and 4.0 science gpa ( already took bio1&2, gen. chem). I get every morning to study for the verbal because i fear this test. I do work 25 hrs/week and raise a little girl...............If you could suggest anything I can do to better my chances let me know I am always open to opinions oh....yeah if you are from las vegas and got into a better school than University of nevada school of medicine let me know how did on the mcat:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that so far you are doing great, make sure you volunteer, shadow, etc. If you can and you think that research could be your cup of tea, there are tons of programs for URM's and non-URM's in the summer. They typically last about ten weeks and pay anywhere from $2,000-4,000. I am sure that you are fluent in Spanish and that will be a plus if you are applying to medical schools that are in areas with large Hispanic populations. Good luck.