Miracle med school acceptance stories

Started by uclaussr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So a lot of people including myself are feeling very nervous and hopeless with this process. So i was hoping we could get a thread going of people who got in to med school despite the odds. I'll start:

Someone got into UCSF with 2.8 and 24 MCAT 2 years ago.
 
So a lot of people including myself are feeling very nervous and hopeless with this process. So i was hoping we could get a thread going of people who got in to med school despite the odds. I'll start:

Someone got into UCSF with 2.8 and 24 MCAT 2 years ago.

i feel ya brother/sister
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to be discouraging, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single "miracle" acceptance anywhere. The ones that seem like miracles only do because you're looking at bare stats; chances are they have unbelievable ECs, life experiences, or circumstances.

In other words, add "No shadowing or research, never had a job, world record couch potato, and submitted a 1 paragraph personal statement," and I'll be impressed.
 
Not to be discouraging, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single "miracle" acceptance anywhere. The ones that seem like miracles only do because you're looking at bare stats; chances are they have unbelievable ECs, life experiences, or circumstances.

In other words, add "No shadowing or research, never had a job, world record couch potato, and submitted a 1 paragraph personal statement," and I'll be impressed.

This is true. I do know someone who is headed to a top 40 school this fall who had a 3.4 (strong upward trend from a 2.6 freshman year) and a 18 mcat. Like the person above said though, this person's ECs, shadowing, etc. were outstanding.
 
Not to say that he had bad stats, because he didn't, but MilkmanAl's MDapps profile is pretty awesome. He got rejected from over 2 dozen medical schools only to be accepted at University of Arkansas (of all the places?) in May.

This is probably gonna seem so stalkerish :laugh: I look at peoples' MDapps profiles out of curiosity and that just stuck out in my mind.
 
Not to say that he had bad stats, because he didn't, but MilkmanAl's MDapps profile is pretty awesome. He got rejected from over 2 dozen medical schools only to be accepted at University of Arkansas (of all the places?) in May.

This is probably gonna seem so stalkerish :laugh: I look at peoples' MDapps profiles out of curiosity and that just stuck out in my mind.

Wow and now we know who has a "list of people". But what about the guy with a 3.4 or so non-urm who got into Harvard? (I also keep a list, lol)
 
Stats are like the tip of an iceberg.

Recs, ECs, connections, life experiences, essays, etc. play a much important factor. Most people on SDN focus too much on stats...