Miscellaneous scholarships for vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith123

Oregon State c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware that there are vet school specific scholarships available through various organizations and the schools themselves, but I am starting to look into non-vet school specific scholarships to reduce the amount I need to take out in loans seeing as the vet med ones aren't always a significant amount. My plan is to spend a few hours per day during the summer to apply for as many scholarships as possible, whether or not they're specific to vet school. Has anyone here had much luck with doing this? Any tips/recommendations on where to start out?

Members don't see this ad.

I am aware that there are vet school specific scholarships available through various organizations and the schools themselves, but I am starting to look into non-vet school specific scholarships to reduce the amount I need to take out in loans seeing as the vet med ones aren't always a significant amount. My plan is to spend a few hours per day during the summer to apply for as many scholarships as possible, whether or not they're specific to vet school. Has anyone here had much luck with doing this? Any tips/recommendations on where to start out?
Start Googling based on your current interests and experiences in vet med. Most of your luck will come through school-specific.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-vet school specific ones are also going to be small amounts and just be a drop in the bucket. Good luck with them though!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Non-vet school specific ones are also going to be small amounts and just be a drop in the bucket. Good luck with them though!!
True, it might be a drop in the bucket, but it’s less to have to pay back later. If they’re out of state and it’s a $1000 scholarship, it’s not much. But if they’re instate and they get the same $1000 scholarship, that’s approximately 1/20th of their tuition. Would be a lot less loans they have to take out/ even less they have to repay interest. If OP is interested in applying for scholarships, I’d say go for it.

Reactions: 3 users
True, it might be a drop in the bucket, but it’s less to have to pay back later. If they’re out of state and it’s a $1000 scholarship, it’s not much. But if they’re instate and they get the same $1000 scholarship, that’s approximately 1/20th of their tuition. Would be a lot less loans they have to take out/ even less they have to repay interest. If OP is interested in applying for scholarships, I’d say go for it.
Milk mustache scholarship, here I come.

Never said don’t go for it or that it wasn’t worth it, I was just saying they’re not going to be much more money than vet school specific ones. Don’t twist my words, cdo.

Never said don’t go for it or that it wasn’t worth it, I was just saying they’re not going to be much more money than vet school specific ones. Don’t twist my words, cdo.
Right, any scholarship- vet or non vet is going to be a drop in the bucket in the large scale of things, it still helps though.

Right, any scholarship- vet or non vet is going to be a drop in the bucket in the large scale of things, it still helps though.
And I never said it didn’t. I said good luck. But was saying that any sort of scholarships, vet or non vet, were going to be small. Op said vet specific ones were not significant amounts and I was saying that neither are non vet ones. That’s why I bolded that sentence.

All through out undergrad I have been getting $5000/year from a Jewish organization, completely independant of my school. I know they offer the same to grad students. Try looking into religious/ethnicity based/community based organizations. It's hard to recommend something specific because it's based on your background, but I think it's worth a try!

Reactions: 1 user
All through out undergrad I have been getting $5000/year from a Jewish organization, completely independant of my school. I know they offer the same to grad students. Try looking into religious/ethnicity based/community based organizations. It's hard to recommend something specific because it's based on your background, but I think it's worth a try!

I am Jewish as well. Do you mind PMing me with more information on this scholarship?

What resources have you been using to find scholarships? I'll be a first year this Fall and many I've seen are either for undergrads only (general scholarships) or current 1st-3rd year vet students (vet-specific)

Hi everyone! Bumping this thread because I meant to post in it when I saw it first, but school and all. ;) Either way, I think, if anyone else is interested, that we start a running scholarship list with deadlines here, even if it's a really small amount (100 pennies make a dollar, right). I'm not doing much for the summer and actually want to make it a habit of applying to scholarships so when vet school starts, I can keep going. My goal is to apply to about 10 or so scholarships a month with the hope of winning at least 1 (I know that's ambitious), but since we're going into a profession with one of the worst debt:income ratio, I want to be proactive (and because you can only apply for most scholarships while you're a student).

So my tips are this:
-most scholarship deadlines I have seen are at the beginning, middle and end of each month. This means that every month on the 1st, 15th and end of the month (30/31), scholarships are due
-get a really good spell checker because that's an easy disqualification for scholarship committees (I use Grammarly)
-start them early because deadlines sneak up on you
-try google searching "scholarship deadline June 1/june 15/etc" to get the best results
-make sure you check the exact time of the deadline for the scholarship because earlier on I missed the deadline because a scholarship was due 11:59 PM Central rather than Mountain time and, again, that's another easy disqualification (Terms and Conditions are your friend)

What resources have you been using to find scholarships? I'll be a first year this Fall and many I've seen are either for undergrads only (general scholarships) or current 1st-3rd year vet students (vet-specific)

I have been using the general websites lists like Cappex, FastWeb, etc and they work really well. I totally agree that most are undergrads only, but make sure it says "undergrad" because many of the scholarships I've applied for over the last semester have said "college student only" and we're still going to be college students so we fit that category. Even the ones that are for medical students, I have reached out to the committees and most of them have said that veterinary students are considered medical students because the rules don't specifically say "human medical" students, just medical :)

Reactions: 4 users
It's a really small pool, but some swine industry scholarships are more than the majority of Illinois' school-specific ones. AVMF has some bigger ones as well. It could be just that Illinois has more of <$1000 scholarships than other schools though. We have a couple $200 ones. I've seen a few $5,000 external scholarships floating around, but they are almost always for food animal/swine students.

I know a few students in my class alone that have covered most, if not all, of their tuition every year with external scholarships + internal. They also get multiple scholarships every year though, not necessarily one huge award.

Is there a list of those LEGIT scholarships anywhere? Been looking on the www and most want you to pay for their service. The advisor at vet school (Auburn) said do not do that. Also said one girl went through her entire vet school career with NO debt due to the many s’ships she received—- I’d love to talk to that person to see HOW she did it.!!

Is there a list of those LEGIT scholarships anywhere? Been looking on the www and most want you to pay for their service. The advisor at vet school (Auburn) said do not do that. Also said one girl went through her entire vet school career with NO debt due to the many s’ships she received—- I’d love to talk to that person to see HOW she did it.!!
You're saying that you are finding websites that charge you to search for scholarships?

Anyways, national veterinary organizations have scholarships big and small. They aren't at all hard to find online, but the competition is pretty crazy.

Also I mentioned earlier that I know people who have covered the majority, if not all, of their tuition thus far with scholarships. These are the people who are interested in food animal (that seems to be where most of the scholarship money is), have research to present at conferences, are in the top 10% of their class, or all of the above. If you have the right 'profile,' you're going to get multiple scholarships every year (especially at Illinois). it's a very small handful of people (like 3 or 4), but they're doing it because they just have all the pieces to the puzzle.

Yes, Scholarship Owl being one of them that wanted to charge. Ok we will look into that - thanx