-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Misdemeanor - How much info is too much info?
Started by member000000000
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
6
625233
I would just say dismissed misdemeanor from over a decade ago, or not say anything at all (what I would most likely do).
...
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would leave it at you got a misdemeanor a decade ago for shoplifting that has since been dismissed. Then chalk it up to youthful stupidity and point out your clean record since then. You are in or near your late 20's, you shouldn't be judged for a blip on your record from high school.
100% leave out all the whining about cops and how you were innocent. It is 10/10 easier to explain being young and stupid than to plead innocent/police mismanagement and come across as anything other than bitter, whining and someone who didn't learn anything from the experience
100% leave out all the whining about cops and how you were innocent. It is 10/10 easier to explain being young and stupid than to plead innocent/police mismanagement and come across as anything other than bitter, whining and someone who didn't learn anything from the experience
I don't know if I have to list my dismissed misdemeanor, but I am going to do it anyway because I believe it is on my record (court clerk said it will say arrested, put under advisement and dismissed). I'm not sure how much detail I should include. Here is the story:
Over 10 years ago, I was arrested for shoplifting. It was put under advisement and dismissed 1 year later. I was with a couple of friends but only 1 was stealing. We warned this person to stop and to stay away from us while in the store. We were at a store a couple of towns over, so we were not close to home and couldn't just leave her. She was also a little younger than us (15). We all headed out together and were stopped. We were told we were responsible for her because she was with us and the youngest (everyone else was 17+).
The police were called and we were arrested WITHOUT being mirandized. In addition, the prosecution lied and said that they had us ALL on tape. We requested that it be shown in court because we all knew we did not steal anything and were barely around the girl that was stealing. When we came back to court they said they did NOT have the tape and they had personally observed everything. Our court appointed lawyer did not bring up any of this and the judge said NOTHING about the LIE. Basically our lawyer said it's your word against theirs and they're probably going to believe them.
I did learn to distance myself from negative people. I have had to do a lot of that as I worked towards my goals. Besides that, this experience left a bad impression for me in term of the court system and law enforcement. (This is not the only unfair experience I have had with cops/law. There has been many. For example: At ten I was basically bullied by a cop for no reason while dribbling a basketball. He just decided to call me names after I was the only one of my friends that didn't run when they saw him. I didn't understand why my friends ran at the time but I quickly found out. The chief did come to our home and apologize after we complained.)
Basically, should I explain everything or just say I have a dismissed misdemeanor and the bit about distancing myself from certain individuals?
I would leave it at you got a misdemeanor a decade ago for shoplifting that has since been dismissed. Then chalk it up to youthful stupidity and point out your clean record since then. You are in or near your late 20's, you shouldn't be judged for a blip on your record from high school.
100% leave out all the whining about cops and how you were innocent. It is 10/10 easier to explain being young and stupid than to plead innocent/police mismanagement and come across as anything other than bitter, whining and someone who didn't learn anything from the experience
Dismissed misdemeanor for shoplifting. And leave it at that. If people want to know more, they will ask. The fact that it happened a decade ago will help a lot, but some may still have questions. You can whine about cops all you want, it only makes you look bad.
We've rejected people for this very reason when simply shutting up would have allowed them to squeak by.
BTW, it's perfectly legal for the police and prosecution to lie like this to arrested people. Prisoner's dilemma and all that. They're just NOT allowed to do it in court!
In addition, the prosecution lied and said that they had us ALL on tape. We requested that it be shown in court because we all knew we did not steal anything and were barely around the girl that was stealing. When we came back to court they said they did NOT have the tape and they had personally observed everything. Our court appointed lawyer did not bring up any of this and the judge said NOTHING about the LIE. Basically our lawyer said it's your word against theirs and they're probably going to believe them.
Dismissed misdemeanor for shoplifting. And leave it at that. If people want to know more, they will ask. The fact that it happened a decade ago will help a lot, but some may still have questions. You can whine about cops all you want, it only makes you look bad.
BTW, it's perfectly legal for the police and prosecution to lie like this to arrested people. Prisoner's dilemma and all that. They're just NOT allowed to do it in court!
In addition, the prosecution lied and said that they had us ALL on tape. We requested that it be shown in court because we all knew we did not steal anything and were barely around the girl that was stealing. When we came back to court they said they did NOT have the tape and they had personally observed everything. Our court appointed lawyer did not bring up any of this and the judge said NOTHING about the LIE. Basically our lawyer said it's your word against theirs and they're probably going to believe them.
Thanks for the replies guys. I will follow your advice and keep it short and sweet. I really do appreciate what you guys have to say. (By the way, they actually said that they had us on tape IN COURT. It was recessed or whatever so they could produce the evidence but when we returned to court, they changed their story.) Although I don't think it is whining, I could see how it may come off negatively to outsiders and I guess people's perceptions are the most important in the instance of the medical school process.
Thanks again!
Thanks again!
We've rejected people for this very reason when simply shutting up would have allowed them to squeak by.
BTW, it's perfectly legal for the police and prosecution to lie like this to arrested people. Prisoner's dilemma and all that. They're just NOT allowed to do it in court!
In addition, the prosecution lied and said that they had us ALL on tape. We requested that it be shown in court because we all knew we did not steal anything and were barely around the girl that was stealing. When we came back to court they said they did NOT have the tape and they had personally observed everything. Our court appointed lawyer did not bring up any of this and the judge said NOTHING about the LIE. Basically our lawyer said it's your word against theirs and they're probably going to believe them.
If you charge is truly dismissed I think it would be perfectly fine to refrain from mentioning it, which would avoid drawing attention to it altogether. (That is what I would do if I was in your shoes, then if any schools do raise questions about it you can explain yourself then). You only have to report convictions to AMCAS. You may also want to look into getting the charge expunged, which would remove it from your public record all together - but that is a long process.
On the other hand, I don't think this is something that will hurt you a great deal so as others have said, you may want to just report it to be safe and keep it short and sweet.
On the other hand, I don't think this is something that will hurt you a great deal so as others have said, you may want to just report it to be safe and keep it short and sweet.
@ryanr and @gonnif I was thinking about not disclosing too. I confirmed with the clerk at the court. She said it was indeed dismissed. I'm just not sure about the "applicable states" part. I am very confused. I was just going to disclose to be safe, but don't want to bring unnecessary attention to this.
@Goro because the charged was dismissed, would you advise against disclosing it? (I will definitely let my adviser read it to make sure it is appropriate).
@Goro because the charged was dismissed, would you advise against disclosing it? (I will definitely let my adviser read it to make sure it is appropriate).
Only if asked "have you ever been arrested?"
If "convicted?" then you wouldn't have to answer.
@Goro because the charged was dismissed, would you advise against disclosing it? (I will definitely let my adviser read it to make sure it is appropriate).[/QUOTE]
If "convicted?" then you wouldn't have to answer.
@Goro because the charged was dismissed, would you advise against disclosing it? (I will definitely let my adviser read it to make sure it is appropriate).[/QUOTE]
Something about the original post rubs me the wrong way. Might be the all caps words interspersed throughout the post. I side with the other posters in that I wouldn't talk about this unless the interviewers want to. If you do talk about it definitely don't take a "screw them for doing this to me" tone. Just calmly state what happened. From what you said it seems legally you were completely without fault. I think if that is true there is nothing to worry about.
Thanks for your feedback guys. And sorry if I confused anyone (unless I'm confused about your responses) but I definitely was NOT going to actually put that first post on my application. I was just giving you guys the story. Lol. That would have absolutely been a horrible idea. I was just curious how much I should let them know.
I think I'm going to go with Goro's advice and not disclose. It was in fact dismissed. If they ask about arrest I will let them know. Thanks again.
I think I'm going to go with Goro's advice and not disclose. It was in fact dismissed. If they ask about arrest I will let them know. Thanks again.
Contact a lawyer if you aren't sure what you are legally required to report on your application. DON'T list something if it's not required, it's very possible that it could completely ruin your application. Taking the time and money to consult with a lawyer is better than wasting a year of your life from a rejected application.Story
And yes, cops don't have any obligation to tell you the truth. Never trust anything the police tell you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K