miss america 2001, MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deejayshakur

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just saw the reigning miss america report that she will be pursuing 'graduate studies in medicine and bioethics' on this year's miss america show. she'll probably be a shoo-in as a past miss america huh? she said she was going back to portland state as a junior and will use her $75k in scholarships to finance her education. i'm thinking, 'that'll only get you through about half of med school.'

what do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by deejayshakur
just saw the reigning miss america report that she will be pursuing 'graduate studies in medicine and bioethics' on this year's miss america show. she'll probably be a shoo-in as a past miss america huh? she said she was going back to portland state as a junior and will use her $75k in scholarships to finance her education. i'm thinking, 'that'll only get you through about half of med school.'

what do y'all think?

hmm. yeah, no doubt the miss america title will help her a lot.. as far as the 75 K, if she ends up going to OHSU for med school there should be no problem with the cost since I assume she is in-state. Also if she is planning on doing a combined MD and masters (they might have one in bioethics at OHSU, I'm not sure), then she has a good chance getting some funding for med school that way as well (since I think Portland State is affiliated with OHSU's combined-degree programs).

Originally posted by Katie
hmm. yeah, no doubt the miss america title will help her a lot.. as far as the 75 K, if she ends up going to OHSU for med school there should be no problem with the cost since I assume she is in-state. Also if she is planning on doing a combined MD and masters (they might have one in bioethics at OHSU, I'm not sure), then she has a good chance getting some funding for med school that way as well (since I think Portland State is affiliated with OHSU's combined-degree programs).

I mean absolutely no offense, but i don't know that all of the information above is accurate.

1. 75k would not pay for 4 years in-state tuition at OHSU.
2. Portland State is not affliated with OHSU, except that they're both state schools.
3. OHSU has no bioethics combined degree program
4. Katie Harmon is not that popular in her home state.
5. Many doubt that Harmon will seriously consider allopathic medicine.
6. Supposedly Harmon isn't that keen on science classes.

I always try to take caution before forming assumptions. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not too familiar with the woman, but if she is the current Miss America, I bet she says all that for PR purposes. IMHO, there are not more fake people in the world than those who participate in those stupid beauty pageants, maybe not so much when woman are younger, but when woman are older and still trying to win these things...I just feel they need to grow up.

BTW, the current Miss Florida is an actual 3rd year medical student at the University of Miami. Yuck :rolleyes:

Wow. Can you imagine what Miss Florida's patients think....Hey honey, Miss Florida touched my balls today, but don't worry, she's a med student!

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
Wow. Can you imagine what Miss Florida's patients think....Hey honey, Miss Florida touched my balls today, but don't worry, she's a med student!

:laugh: Are you sure you don't feel anything? I swear I felt a lump earlier. Keep checking.

Originally posted by mws99
:laugh: Are you sure you don't feel anything? I swear I felt a lump earlier. Keep checking.
:clap:

Originally posted by mws99

LOL!

OK I'm missing something here. Go to the official miss america web page: http://www.missamerica.org/meet/2002.asp

If you scroll down to accomplishments, it says:

"Selected as an apprentice in trauma surgery at Oregon Health Sciences University"

How the hell does an undergraduate student get selected to be an apprentice in trauma surgery?

Or does this mean she was simply a regular hospital volunteer who spent time comforting trauma surgery patients?

For some reason it is extremely difficult for me to picture that beautiful young woman dealing with compound fractures or multiple gunshots to the head and abdomen. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Originally posted by MacGyver
OK I'm missing something here. Go to the official miss america web page: http://www.missamerica.org/meet/2002.asp

If you scroll down to accomplishments, it says:

"Selected as an apprentice in trauma surgery at Oregon Health Sciences University"

How the hell does an undergraduate student get selected to be an apprentice in trauma surgery?

Or does this mean she was simply a regular hospital volunteer who spent time comforting trauma surgery patients?

First of all JScrusader, having that mentality is why women are always having to strive for equality in this society. Who cares if the female doctor is beautiful or not. As long as she has the skills to do the surgery that's all that matters. Does an ugly person make them better suited to do compound surgeries? If you guys think that Miss America contestants embellish their accomplishments just a little bit, maybe you guys should take a good look at your med-school applications because we're all doing whatever it is that we think will make us win any competition. SO....Don't HATE, CONGRATULATE...:love:

I never said she doesn't have the skills to be a surgeon, all I am trying to say is that it is hard for me to picture someone who has to keep up this image as "Ms. America" getting her hands a little dirty. If anything, tell her to go into urology, she will be able to cure my erectile disfunction when I am older. (joke)

I lived next door to Miss California at Stanford my senior year.

She seemed intelligent and extraordinarily involved with tutoring and research; I didn't talk to her much. I can say, though, she wasn't Miss California based on looks....

Originally posted by mystic_b
Miss California 2000 is at UCSF Med School. 2nd runner-up in the Miss America contest too. In her case though, she already got into all those med schools before she won the title. So, it was more like what helped her get into med schools (great interviewing skills, talent, community service, etc) also helped her with the paegant, rather than the other way around. This may be a rare exception, however.

the whole miss. anything contest always gives me hopes that my extracurriculars will shine above and beyond mcat scores and gpa in my application to be a rad doc.
weezy,
p

Originally posted by xaelia
I lived next door to Miss California at Stanford my senior year.

She seemed intelligent and extraordinarily involved with tutoring and research; I didn't talk to her much. I can say, though, she wasn't Miss California based on looks....

Hmm, thats really funny. MY senior year at Emory, I lived down the hall from Miss Idaho of all states (I swear). She was a really smart girl, assistant editor for the school paper and active in student politics, and she was pretty cute. Not to be coarse, but she wasn't even best looking girl in her sorority.....

Originally posted by xaelia
I can say, though, she wasn't Miss California based on looks....

Amen to that. I can certainly tell that in California anyways, this contest is not a beauty pagent anymore

Originally posted by MSTP boy
I mean absolutely no offense, but i don't know that all of the information above is accurate.

1. 75k would not pay for 4 years in-state tuition at OHSU.

OK, perhaps not all the tuition, but it would cover more tuition at OHSU than at essentially any private school, that's for sure..

2. Portland State is not affliated with OHSU, except that they're both state schools.

You are right on this point, my mistake. It is Oregon State that is involved in the joint degree programs (I read this on their home page a while ago).

3. OHSU has no bioethics combined degree program

acknowledged and I stand corrected:)

4. Katie Harmon is not that popular in her home state.

And? Why should that matter? I had no connection whatsoever to the cities of St. Louis and Boston and I got in to schools in both city. I don't think that what the general citizens of Oregon think matters much in the admissions process.

5. Many doubt that Harmon will seriously consider allopathic medicine.

Who are the many people? Most people I know don't even know the difference between allopathic and osteopathic medicine. Besides, given the chance, the vast majority of applicants out there would prefer to go MD over DO.

6. Supposedly Harmon isn't that keen on science classes.

Actually, neither are many people who apply to med school and get in!

I always try to take caution before forming assumptions. ;)

me too;)