Missed Interview! HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Tomorrow I have an interview at UMDNJ NJMS with the same interviewer that I was supposed to meet with when I missed my initial interview. Though I've apologized profusely for the oversight to admissions already, I'm wondering if I should preface my interview by apologizing to my interviewer, or just act like it never happened. The type of person I am, I would apologize right away, however I'm scared that it may start the interview off negatively.

Inputs?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would very professional to apologize up front. It's not like it is something that he/she doesn't have in mind.

Also, make up a really good lie that will get you some sympathy. :p

I agree with MB. It is good to own up to the faux pas right up front, just be sure to give a solid reason why if asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is I don't have a solid reason, I really just messed the date up.

Timmythemic22 said:
The thing is I don't have a solid reason, I really just messed the date up.

Honesty is the best policy- we've all done it before...

Just own up to it then. It is much better to be straightforward and honest rather than trying to tap dance your way around it.

Just apologize so you don't have to second guess yourself after the interview. No need to go into details in my opinion. The details may make you feel like you are trying to justify why you missed the interview. You are definitely not the first person to miss an interview.

Everyone makes mistakes. If they were willing to still interview you, they like something aboot you. What I suggest is, yes, be honest. Don't look for sympathy and don't make whiny excuses. Just be straight up front about it. But don't let the interview dwell on it. Do what you would do in any other interview once that part is over with, be yourself, be professional, and be friendly. A firm handshake while looking your interviewer in the eye (smiling!) goes a very long way.

Make the most of this second shot! Best wishes.

how can you miss/totally forget about your medical school interview?

DrKitty said:
how can you miss/totally forget about your medical school interview?

It happens to alot of people... I'm in the Georgetown Postbacc premed program right now... I have finals and everything else to think about, don't be a smartass.

My suggestion is to not bring it up. For all you know, the interviewer really doesn't remember the inital missed date. By bringing it up you may seem honest but it may work against you. If asked, then answer but I'd just act normal about the situation

Timmythemic22 said:
It happens to alot of people... I'm in the Georgetown Postbacc premed program right now... I have finals and everything else to think about, don't be a smartass.

I did not write my post to appear a "smartass" as you said. I personally am psyched about each interview I get. I currently work full-time AND am enrolled in a graduate program, so your post-bac program does not explain to me missing the interview that can possibly change the rest of your life. :thumbdown:

DrKitty said:
I did not write my post to appear a "smartass" as you said. I personally am psyched about each interview I get. I currently work full-time AND am enrolled in a graduate program, so your post-bac program does not explain to me missing the interview that can possibly change the rest of your life. :thumbdown:

With all that work you're undertaking along with being punctual and on top of your schedule, you might want to think about scheduling some time to work on that arrogance issue. Technical proficiency is no substitute for lack of personality. I don't know you personally, but you come off as someone with no sense of compassion, or at the very least tact. If that blunt post mirrors your attitude in life, I don't see you winning many smiles with your bedside manner.

That said, I don't feel a need to pursue this anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Timmythemic22 said:
With all that work you're undertaking along with being punctual and on top of your schedule, you might want to think about scheduling some time to work on that arrogance issue. Technical proficiency is no substitute for lack of personality. I don't know you personally, but you come off as someone with no sense of compassion, or at the very least tact. If that blunt post mirrors your attitude in life, I don't see you winning many smiles with your bedside manner.

That said, I don't feel a need to pursue this anymore.

:laugh:
You seem like you like to put people down and judge them without basis. CHILL! All I am saying is that missing your medical school interview defeats the purpose of being in your post-bac program.

To go back to the original issue, I wouldn't start off by reminding the interviewer why you're here today. I would say something like you're so appreciative that he was able to take time out of his schedule to meet with you today and that you are very excited to be there. It tells the interviewer that you do appreciate the fact that he took time out of his schedule for the second time to meet with you, and it also says that you are really working to make this a positive experience for you both.

Oh, I'd own up to it. If this interviewer remembers that you were someone who no-showed at the first interview and didn't have the courtesy to bring it up in the second, it'll put a pretty bad pall on the whole thing. If they didn't remember you, they'll probably brush it off.

Can we rewind a second here? You MISSED your interview?? How is that even possible? Seriously, I know we all have a lot going on - but uhm - to miss an interview?

I was counting down the days, practicing interviewing, and timing how long it took me to get to the school from my hotel for days before hand.

Flopotomist said:
Can we rewind a second here? You MISSED your interview?? How is that even possible? Seriously, I know we all have a lot going on - but uhm - to miss an interview?

I was counting down the days, practicing interviewing, and timing how long it took me to get to the school from my hotel for days before hand.

Flopotomist, He/She is going to call you a "smart ass" who "lacks compassion and tact" for asking such questions . ;)

DrKitty said:
Flopotomist, He/She is going to call you a "smart ass" who "lacks compassion and tact" for asking such questions . ;)
He can call me whatever he wants, but I can call him somebody that MISSED HIS INTERVIEW ??!?! I just don't understand. At least the school is giving him a second chance. I don't give second chances to people that miss interviews with me.

Flopotomist said:

It's like a pre-med's worst nightmare, isn't it?

Or maybe that scene from "Van Wilder" :laugh:

It burns!!

I would avoid apologizing, because it's awkward to start your interview with what could sound like groveling. I think you should mention it though; if you can pull off a humorous remark, that would be great. Alternately, you could say something like (I think someone mentioned this earlier) "I know there was a mixup with the interview day. Thanks so much for taking the time to interview me."

Just my 2 cents, from the other side of the med school admissions process. (I love trolling in the premed forums :rolleyes: )

Well, as for the people who tried to help me out, I thank you. It turns out he made a joke about it in the beginning, and throughout the interview we found out we live in the same town, and found alot of common ground from there. I can't say where it will lead from there, but at least there was a positive easy-going vibe throughout the interview.

For the others who felt the need to chime in with less the helpful comments, I certainly will not spend any more effort explaining myself. I don't know you, just like you don't know me, and have no idea what other issues might play into my unfortunate occurrence. I was certainly putting myself through Hell for it, and your jibes, while within your rights to say so, I feel completely unecessary. At this point, there is every reason for all of us to remain positive around the others, we are all in the same situation.

Timmythemic22 said:
Well, as for the people who tried to help me out, I thank you. It turns out he made a joke about it in the beginning, and throughout the interview we found out we live in the same town, and found alot of common ground from there. I can't say where it will lead from there, but at least there was a positive easy-going vibe throughout the interview.

glad everything turned out alright. trust me, i know how all-consuming the physio program can be! good luck with that. :thumbup:

Timmythemic22 said:

For the others who felt the need to chime in with less the helpful comments, I certainly will not spend any more effort explaining myself. I don't know you, just like you don't know me, and have no idea what other issues might play into my unfortunate occurrence. I was certainly putting myself through Hell for it, and your jibes, while within your rights to say so, I feel completely unecessary. At this point, there is every reason for all of us to remain positive around the others, we are all in the same situation.

glad it went well. best wishes!