1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Missing 1 letter of reference. Is it ok to e-submit?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by [email protected], Jul 20, 2006.

1. pharmd4me@510

[email protected] druggist_2_be
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hi all,

I have 2 letters of reference and waiting for the third. The 3rd professor hasn't responded to my email, probably on vacation or something. Is it ok to esubmit or should I wait? Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xnm11

xnm11 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    you need to wait. i don't think you can add lors after you e-submit your application. it will be considered incomplete by all the schools that need 3 lors.

4. creestoL

creestoL Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I was wondering about this too.. do we have to wait for all our lors to get to pharmcas before we e-submit?? because on pharmcas, it mentions that you can still edit your letters of reference even after e-submitting..

5. PharmEng

PharmEng Member
    5+ Year Member

LOR's and PCATs are the only items not required to be completed before you e-submit. I would go ahead and e-submit ASAP. PharmCAS will not begin the verification of your transcripts until after you e-submit. Depending on their backlog, it can take PharmCAS weeks after you e-submit to actually make your info available to the schools (It took them 4 weeks after I e-submitted last year). So they may have your LOR by that time anyway. If not they will still forward the LOR's separately once they get them.

6. pharmd4me@510

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

So I can go ahead and submit it? But xnm11 is saying I should wait. Can someone please confirm this? I don't want to screw up my app. Thanks!

7. Pharm47

Pharm47 Just keep running...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think xnm isn't right on this one. Read the Pharmcas Instructions carefully, and you'll see that yes, you can e-submit and still receive LORs at a later date. Just hope that your writer gets it in by August 1, because that is when applications start being sent to schools. If its not there by then, your app will be sent anyway, and the late LOR sent after the fact (I'm in that position now - damn absent-minded professors!)

8. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    That's what I did last year. I e-submitted without the third recommedation but I still got a call for an interview since I told them my professor would turn it in as soon as she got to it.

Once you submit the third recommendation letter, they'll just send an updated application to the respective schools you applied to.

9. pharmd4me@510

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
  10. xnm11

xnm11 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    =( sorry that i gave bad info. i applied last cycle and thought you had to wait until everything was finished - the only thing i remember that you could change was your grades in the academic update window.

11. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So... after you e-submit... where can you send the last LOR, if its after August 1st. Can you still use pharmcas or would you have to send it to each school?

12. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well, if you have my situation you really will have to get the LOR sent as soon as you can. I did not realize that PharmCAS would go ahead and send the file to schools even though the LOR was still missing. So, I sat around for about 3 weeks thinking that I had finally finished the admissions process (because I knew that they had sent file to schools), when I got an e-mail from one of my schools stating that my file was incomplete, and they would not look at my file to decide whether to interview me until everything was complete. Turned out that one of my LOR writers had sent in part of it (I guess the questions at the beginning) but she had not submitted the narrative portion of it yet. Then, when PharmCAS did send the missing LOR, the school lost it, so I had to have PharmCAS send it again :eek:

So, I do agree with other posters - e-submit as soon as you can because the transcript verification will take time, but know that you need to keep up with the other pieces and make sure that your file is complete with everyone.

13. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Go ahead and e-submit. They will send rec letters as soon as they arrive. You should definately make sure that the letter is sent soon, but you can e-submit now.

It took a while for my three letters to trickle in after I e-submitted. You will want to go ahead and submit so your stuff will be in as early as possible. Many schools begin reading personal statements, reviewing academic history, etc. at different times. Often a different person will do each task until the school has a complete file on you, which is passed to the AdCom. The sooner you submit, the sooner they can get started.

14. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have a related question...

I asked my pharmacist for a letter of rec and she said she would send it out this friday, but I'm thinking that wouldn't make UOP's tier II deadline of Sep 1st. Should i e-submit even if the LOR hadn't been updated as "recieved" on pharmCAS? Does anyone know if UOP will still consider me tier II if it still shows as "pending"?

Do you guys also think its innapropriate to ask my letter of rec writer to write it through eLOR instead?

AGH :eek: thanks guys for all your help

15. Hosstheboss

Hosstheboss Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No. Thats I did with all my letters of recommendation.

16. mustangrolla

mustangrolla Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    In order to be considered in the Tier II application time frame by UOP, all of your LOR's have to be "received" by pharmcas by the deadline. Even if pharmcas takes 2 weeks to calculate your GPA, UOP would still consider it on time since it was "submitted" electronically on time. You should double check with the admin office tho.

17. PharmDan2

PharmDan2 NSU DPT 2012
    7+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Quick question... If i get all my letters of recommendation in through pharmcas and all that and dont get accepted to the pharm schools of my choice.. does that mean the next year i apply i have to go back to ALL those teachers again and get new recommendation letters? Sounds kinda ridiculous to me. Really confused and need some help!

18. mtgirl

mtgirl Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

You must start the application process from scratch next year if you reapply. Pharmcas does not keep any records from this application cycle.