Missing Prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormingorman17

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm missing a prereq course for a couple of schools I applied to, does that change my chances of getting in? I can still take it the summer before right? Why can't I show that I plan to take it in 2018?

Members don't see this ad.

Every school has its own policies, but many will not let you put off a prerequisite until the summer before you attend. Many of them have a preterm that starts in July, and that conflicts with possible summer courses. It also radically raises the chances that you will fail that class because of senioritis and they will be forced to rescind your admission and find a last-minute replacement.

If you are hoping to get into the class of 2023 or later, then you can relax because you are totally allowed to have unfinished prereqs at the time of application. When you fill out the app it will give you a place to put planned future courses, and they will be changeable during the academic update period starting the November after you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Every school has its own policies, but many will not let you put off a prerequisite until the summer before you attend. Many of them have a preterm that starts in July, and that conflicts with possible summer courses. It also radically raises the chances that you will fail that class because of senioritis and they will be forced to rescind your admission and find a last-minute replacement.

If you are hoping to get into the class of 2023 or later, then you can relax because you are totally allowed to have unfinished prereqs at the time of application. When you fill out the app it will give you a place to put planned future courses, and they will be changeable during the academic update period starting the November after you apply.

I applied to this cycle and was going to take a class in the fall but didn't have time to do so. I'm planning to take it this spring now, but now some of my programs aren't complete on the app. If they were complete and then taken off completed because I had to change my schedule around would that affect my app in a big way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I may have had a similar thing happen, and it should not affect your ability to apply to these schools. Have you tried going into the Program Materials section of your application and reassigning your prerequisites? When I changed around the order of classes I was taking it messed with the prerequisite assignments in the individual school applications under Program Materials. All I had to do was go into the affected school supplementals and reassign the prerequisites that were now classed as missing.

I think I may have had a similar thing happen, and it should not affect your ability to apply to these schools. Have you tried going into the Program Materials section of your application and reassigning your prerequisites? When I changed around the order of classes I was taking it messed with the prerequisite assignments in the individual school applications under Program Materials. All I had to do was go into the affected school supplementals and reassign the prerequisites that were now classed as missing.

Yup I figured it out thanks to you! A lot simpler than I thought, haven't messed around with the transcript and classes since I submitted the app so I just wasn't as familiar with it.