gdh

10+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Everybody! I just discovered this forum this week, and I'm finding it to be a great reference.

Several years ago as an undergrad I decided I wanted to do medicine, and started taking the prereqs. Unfortunately, due to scheduling issues I ran out of money before I ran out of classes, and went off to get a real job for a while.

6 years later I've decided to finish what I started...

What I have:

English I&II
Chemistry I&II
Physics I&II
Biochem I
Organic Chem I
1/2 Biology I&II (school changed its 1st year biol program on me part way through.. they used to have an any-2-of-3-courses program for 1st year...)
Calculus I&II + statistics
GPA of 3.5+

So I need to do something about my Biology and Organic Chemistry. Also, the only local medschool (UBC) has a draconian requirement for a 6-credit course in 3rd year biochem.

That leaves me with 3 questions:

(1) Given that I did 90% of my prereqs during my undergrad, would it hurt my application seriously if I did the last 3 credits of biology and organic chem through a distance program at a school like Athabasca (www.athabasca.edu)?

(2) Should I retake all of 1st year biology (since my current credit is hard to explain), or just tack on another 1/2 a year?

(3) Is it worth taking 8 months off from my job just so I can finish the Bioc 300 req? Or will I not damage my chances too much by simply writing the local school off my list of places to apply?

I'd love to hear any thoughts you have.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
gdh said:
Hi Everybody! I just discovered this forum this week, and I'm finding it to be a great reference.

Several years ago as an undergrad I decided I wanted to do medicine, and started taking the prereqs. Unfortunately, due to scheduling issues I ran out of money before I ran out of classes, and went off to get a real job for a while.

6 years later I've decided to finish what I started...

What I have:

English I&II
Chemistry I&II
Physics I&II
Biochem I
Organic Chem I
1/2 Biology I&II (school changed its 1st year biol program on me part way through.. they used to have an any-2-of-3-courses program for 1st year...)
Calculus I&II + statistics
GPA of 3.5+

So I need to do something about my Biology and Organic Chemistry. Also, the only local medschool (UBC) has a draconian requirement for a 6-credit course in 3rd year biochem.

That leaves me with 3 questions:

(1) Given that I did 90% of my prereqs during my undergrad, would it hurt my application seriously if I did the last 3 credits of biology and organic chem through a distance program at a school like Athabasca (www.athabasca.edu)?

(2) Should I retake all of 1st year biology (since my current credit is hard to explain), or just tack on another 1/2 a year?

(3) Is it worth taking 8 months off from my job just so I can finish the Bioc 300 req? Or will I not damage my chances too much by simply writing the local school off my list of places to apply?

I'd love to hear any thoughts you have.

If it has been better than 6 years since you took science courses (and thus 7+ years by the time you apply), it is probably advisable to take more than just the two you think you are missing. While prereqs don't expire at MOST med schools (not all), most (US allo) med schools like to see recent success in science courses. I would suggest taking up to a year's worth of science classes, consisting of the couple you are missing plus perhaps a few upper levels (biochem?) before taking the MCAT and applying. I know nothing about the distance learning school you indicated, but from what I've heard, a brick and mortar 4 year college is looked at more positively. As for the work, a lot of us had to either juggle a heavy schedule of evening classes or quit a year early to make this path a reality -- it's hard to get around that hurdle.

Uncle_Tbag

Of the DrGeddyLee Tbags
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Distance learing wont work for orgo as you need a lab component. I think the same goes for biochem.

About the Ads