Missing The Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medquestion

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If we missed the Match (residency this year), what kind of work out there we can find that is suitable for us as m.d grad,during the time we do nothing,? eg....

lab tech, drug reps???????/ thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I'll just take it easy and relax.:cool:

Are you considered good-looking? If so, pharmaceutical rep might be a possibility! ;)

Your options as a person with an MD but without a medical license are limited - that is, they aren't much broader than anyone else with some medical knowledge.

However, certainly some areas of lab tech'ing might be possible although more and more labs want people with specialized skills, those which generally aren't taught in medical school.

Insurance companies will hire people to do H & Ps, pretty low level stuff in general.

In some states, you can work as a substitute teacher (say in one of the basic sciences), although you may be required to pass a test (e.g., CBEST).

If you have a local medical school, perhaps working as an anatomy tutor or any kind of tutor (obviously not big bucks if you're working freelance) at any secondary or tertiary school.

There's always research projects.

If you are trained, you can work as a phlebotomist...

essentially there are heaps of jobs out there but I'm not sure of any which require a medical degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Kim,

Do you have any lead in searching for available jobs in research or pharmaceutical drug reps? ( Any state is fine )

what usually causes students to "miss the match"...is it poor board scores?

Recently (past several years), it's been no ECFMG certification (or eligibility), because no CSA by the deadline before the match.

ECFMG said that not getting CSA dates would NOT happen, but that has not been the case. Ergo, no match.

Originally posted by DoubleOSeven
what usually causes students to "miss the match"...is it poor board scores?

While I suppose "poor board scores" (ie, low enough to fail) could result in missing the match if a student decided to retake the exam, most people miss the match for other reasons. These are generally related to paperwork - there are many forms required to be submitted and they all take time to process. One slow cog in the system can fuddle everything up, resulting in missing deadlines.

The sticking point can be getting your degree, having it translated into English for ECFMG, getting the CSA scheduled, taken and scored, getting a visa to get into the US to take the CSA, etc.