You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
mission trips for a student pharmacist
Started by delite310
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I missed it but there was a presentation by Doctors Without Borders that I read about in an email where they're bringing pharmacists on board, too... might want to check them out!
They had an info session in Northern California last week- maybe they'll be in your neighborhood?

They had an info session in Northern California last week- maybe they'll be in your neighborhood?

palm beach atlantic does this sort of thing with their pharmacy students all the time...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of a mission trip that a student pharmacist can participate in? I see a bunch of Medical, Dental trips but none specific to a pharmacist/student pharmacist. Does anyone have any info on this?
Thanks!
If you have access to a chapter of Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International (CPFI), they would probably be able to provide info. I know that several people from my school's chapter have done this as student pharmacists.
palm beach atlantic does this sort of thing with their pharmacy students all the time...
Ditto with NSU. They put together an annual multi-disciplinary trip to Jamaica every summer (dental, optometry, medical, pharmacy, etc.). Not sure if they only take NSU students though?
Just came back from a trip to central america! It was fantastic. We worked with a great organization CMDA or Global Health Outreach. They make it so easy for students to learn their discipline while ministering to the needs of the locals. We had folks from several states and spent a week seeing hundreds of people. The pharmacy was set up and adminsitered by the students with a mentor pharmacist overseeing. It was wonderful. Here's the link
www.cmda.org
www.cmda.org
Hi simon,
Does one need to be Christian in order to attend the trips for CMDA?
I have the same question. Anyone can answer?
I actually emailed the professor at WVU a few years back about not actually being religious and joining the WVU chapter of CPFI (which is under or associated with CMDA from what I've gathered) just for the potential experience of going to Africa one summer or something. Dude never did email me back after a few attempts. He responded to the emails of those that wanted in the group without the potential baggage. Oh well. I understand, I s'pose.
Here is a list of stuff they claim their members believe in. Being as though I don't believe any of them at all, I guess it ain't a club for us folks that worship our false idols and all. Personally, I plan on starting a religion that involves Google worship. Why? Because it has all of life's answers. I don't s'pose they'd accept me for who I am and what not.
About joining....well, obviously, they are queasy at best about the idea of those that do not believe in all of the tenets and beliefs of the the religion becoming members. But I don't think they can really stop you from joining if you really pushed it, especially if you are at a land grant school. It's probably not worth it unless you want to be alienated and evoke the wrath of a group of your peers, and, potentially, a deity. There are other organizations that you can help.
The organization itself is...ummmm.....interesting. They encourage the use of "faith prescriptions" and giving patients these auxiliary stickers with holy writings on them, among other things. Whatever floats their boats....
Here is a list of stuff they claim their members believe in. Being as though I don't believe any of them at all, I guess it ain't a club for us folks that worship our false idols and all. Personally, I plan on starting a religion that involves Google worship. Why? Because it has all of life's answers. I don't s'pose they'd accept me for who I am and what not.
About joining....well, obviously, they are queasy at best about the idea of those that do not believe in all of the tenets and beliefs of the the religion becoming members. But I don't think they can really stop you from joining if you really pushed it, especially if you are at a land grant school. It's probably not worth it unless you want to be alienated and evoke the wrath of a group of your peers, and, potentially, a deity. There are other organizations that you can help.
The organization itself is...ummmm.....interesting. They encourage the use of "faith prescriptions" and giving patients these auxiliary stickers with holy writings on them, among other things. Whatever floats their boats....
Thanks this is so great info. I wanted to do a mission for next summer...
I did a medical missions trip through CPFI while in pharmacy school, so you might want to check if your school has such an organization. We traveled to the Hospitals of Hope in Bolivia. I don't believe you had to be a member to participate in the mission trips.
palm beach atlantic does this sort of thing with their pharmacy students all the time...
So does Shenandoah. They go to Juarez, MX and Nicauragua every year.
Yeah, hell, come to the holler in Southern WV. Logan County, Mingo County, Wayne County. You want to help an underserved population? That's a prime opportunity, too.
Isn't there a bit of a drug war going on in Juarez these days? State Department classifies it as unsafe for travel.
I think that's every border town on the Mexican side of the line. 😉 But yes, I'm sure that Juarez isn't the safest of places to go, but they still go every year with success.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medical mission trips can always use pharmacists. I've been on several trips and the busiest part can be filling bags and bottles with vitamins, Tylenol, etc.
Check out ISL- international student learning.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 5K