Mississippi controlled substances laws?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffee_Fiend

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to study for the MS MPJE and I am trying to figure out the answer to a couple of questions I couldn't find in the "rules and regulations" section of the MS Board of Pharmacy website!

1) What are the rules for mid-level practitioners prescribing in MS?
I found this chart, but it's not super specific.
https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/practioners/mlp_by_state.pdf
From what I've read, nurse practitioners and physician assistants can prescribe schedule 2-5 drugs as long as the drugs are listed on the protocol approved by the supervising physician.

Are there any additional rules regarding this? E.g. does the physician's name and address need to be on a PA or NP prescription? Can only a 30 day supply of opioids be written by a PA or NP? Do they need approval from the supervising physician before writing certain prescriptions?
And from the DEA chart (updated 07/2017), in MS, can an optometrist can only prescribe schedule 4 and 5 controlled substances?

2) What are the rules of MS regarding filling prescriptions from deceased prescribers?

On the Secretary of State MS website it states that a prescription is no longer valid 30 days after the death of the prescriber. Does this apply to both controlled and non-controlled prescriptions? Or would a non-controlled prescription be invalid immediately after the prescriber's death?

If you know the answer to either of these, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you pass? I passed my boards but Im moving to Mississippi and failed 2 times and need some advice...desperately.