Mississippi State c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DairyCowLover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for official acceptances so I thought I'd start one. I got my call on Friday and I'm THRILLED to go to MSU! I'll be a contract student from West Virginia. Can't wait to see you all there!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Good luck and make sure to finish the semester strong (-ish!)

Hold onto that excitement, you'll probably wish you still had some later on (like I am now..) War Eagle and welcome to the coolest profession on Earth!

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant official acceptances just for Mississippi State. Sorry about that!

Didn't see a thread for official acceptances so I thought I'd start one. I got my call on Friday and I'm THRILLED to go to MSU! I'll be a contract student from West Virginia. Can't wait to see you all there!

Congratulations, DairyCowLover!! If you have any questions i'd be more than happy to help (if I can). I'm a first year. Were you at the tour on Sunday the night before your interview? I was one of the people who gave tours.

Hey! I am so excited to be a part of MSU's class of 2016! I am a contract student from South Carolina. I got my call friday as well and im pretty sure I screamed loud enough to make Missy deaf in one ear :) I am new to SDN but I figured I should join so I could meet some of my future classmates! Congratulations everyone!

Congratulations, DairyCowLover!! If you have any questions i'd be more than happy to help (if I can). I'm a first year. Were you at the tour on Sunday the night before your interview? I was one of the people who gave tours.

I did take a tour, but I forget who gave it. It was a woman from Mississippi. I was with my mentor Andrea Garton who I went to undergrad with at WVU. She's a first year, too!

Hey! I am so excited to be a part of MSU's class of 2016! I am a contract student from South Carolina. I got my call friday as well and im pretty sure I screamed loud enough to make Missy deaf in one ear :) I am new to SDN but I figured I should join so I could meet some of my future classmates! Congratulations everyone!

Hahaha! I asked her if she was kidding and then told her I needed to sit down because I thought I was going to pass out.

Hey All!!! I will be meeting everyone soon!! I am sooooooo excited to be going to MSU (got the call on Valentines Day)!!!! I am a Mississippi resident originally from Arizona. I have lived in Starkville for a while though, so if you all have any questions feel free to ask!!! YAY!!! Mississippi c/o 2016!!!! Congrats to everyone!!! :highfive::clap:

Haha... I was up super late working on a project so I was sleeping in (no class today!) and was actually in the process of dreaming that I had been rejected when I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. With a Mississippi area code on the caller ID. After we hung up, I actually had to back and check my phone (multiple times)just to make sure that it was all real and not one of those dream-in-a-dream things... crazy, but what a way to start the day! I'm so excited to meet ya'll!!!

Hey All!!! I will be meeting everyone soon!! I am sooooooo excited to be going to MSU (got the call on Valentines Day)!!!! I am a Mississippi resident originally from Arizona. I have lived in Starkville for a while though, so if you all have any questions feel free to ask!!! YAY!!! Mississippi c/o 2016!!!! Congrats to everyone!!! :highfive::clap:

Hey, think you were in my tour group - I think? There was someone who was originally from AZ in my tour group but now living in Starkville. At any rate, congratulations!!!!

Hey, think you were in my tour group - I think? There was someone who was originally from AZ in my tour group but now living in Starkville. At any rate, congratulations!!!!
hkt8646- we will have to figure that out... lol

Congratulations DairyCowLover!

Members don't see this ad :)
Helloooo future classmates! I got the call from Missy this morning- I'm OOS from Texas and interviewed on Valentines Day. I can't wait to meet all of you in June!

Helloooo future classmates! I got the call from Missy this morning- I'm OOS from Texas and interviewed on Valentines Day. I can't wait to meet all of you in June!

Yay jalyndani~ it was worth the wait, right?! Congratulations!!! :D

Yay jalyndani~ it was worth the wait, right?! Congratulations!!! :D

Lol I don't know, I think I only have a few strands of hair left on my head after all the worry this week :D

Do you remember what Missy said in your phone call about receiving an acceptance letter or e-mail in addition to the call? She said something to me, but I was so excited I can't remember what she said. I know she's busy so I'm trying to be patient and see if I get something in the mail instead of overloading her with calls. I'm also embarrassed that I can't remember, but I was just too excited!

She told me they're sending a letter in the mail with all the info and stuff

Do you remember what Missy said in your phone call about receiving an acceptance letter or e-mail in addition to the call? She said something to me, but I was so excited I can't remember what she said. I know she's busy so I'm trying to be patient and see if I get something in the mail instead of overloading her with calls. I'm also embarrassed that I can't remember, but I was just too excited!

hahah the exact same thing happened to me. I hung up and ...wait, what did she say?

hahah the exact same thing happened to me. I hung up and ...wait, what did she say?

HA, I did the same exact thing! :D I called her back about an hour later. She's putting the official letters in the mail at the end of the week.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, but I just got accepted yesterday. Has anyone started to think about housing/is anyone from Starkville that knows of good pet friendly places?

Thanks for the info guys! Glad I'm not the only one that totally blanked out on how to communicate and function like a normal person! :)

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, but I just got accepted yesterday. Has anyone started to think about housing/is anyone from Starkville that knows of good pet friendly places?

I've just been searching online for now. Most of the places are pet friendly, but not all. My friend who goes there now suggested the site StarkVegas.

Hey guys,

First off, congratulations!! And yes, Starkville has lots of pet-friendly places (houses and apartments)! There's even a few places around with horse property. :)

Thanks for that StarkVegas site! My SO and my two 50lb blue heelers (see my avi? that's them!) will be making the move with me; anyone have any rental suggestions? Obviously an apartment is out of the question....can someone recommend any reputable rental house companies?

Thanks for that StarkVegas site! My SO and my two 50lb blue heelers (see my avi? that's them!) will be making the move with me; anyone have any rental suggestions? Obviously an apartment is out of the question....can someone recommend any reputable rental house companies?

Try this property rental company. I rent from them, as well as a few of my classmates:

http://crabtreepropertiesllc.net/home.html

Thanks hkt.

So...now that the waiting is over....what do we do next? It's too soon to start packing.... Lol.

Does anyone know when the blue coat ceremony is? Some family would like to come but need a date... Also do we need to have rabies vaccinations? Or anything else we need?? We start classes in 4 months!!! :) It will be here before we know it!!

Does anyone know when the blue coat ceremony is? Some family would like to come but need a date... Also do we need to have rabies vaccinations? Or anything else we need?? We start classes in 4 months!!! :) It will be here before we know it!!

I was assuming that all the info would be sent along with our acceptance letters? If that's not the case, I'm heading down to Starkville in a week and could ask Missy all the questions that everyone has in one fell swoop if you're all interested.

Also (random)... how did you find out that our coats were gonna be blue?

I was assuming that all the info would be sent along with our acceptance letters? If that's not the case, I'm heading down to Starkville in a week and could ask Missy all the questions that everyone has in one fell swoop if you're all interested.

Also (random)... how did you find out that our coats were gonna be blue?
I am in-state so I already received the acceptance letter. It didn't have any information in it. Just the acceptance letter, contract, and some disability papers. It says that we will get more info in May. I am going to go down there to pay my deposit this week so I can ask then. I was just seeing if anyone on here knew. And about the coats... I heard they were blue at the tour before the interview. I guess blue signifies doctor in training. I think they might have a white coat before clinical years, but I am not totally positive.

Where are you from?

I am in-state so I already received the acceptance letter. It didn't have any information in it.

Yuck~ I was hoping for a nice thick packet of information!

As for the coats, I know that every class gets their own color (our mentors' were gray and there were other students with blue ones when I toured)... I'm excited to get started!

I'm technically an Illinois resident, but I've been floating back and forth between Montana and South Dakota for the past few years (tuition is cheaper and they have exponentially higher numbers of cattle... you can't go wrong)!

Yuck~ I was hoping for a nice thick packet of information!

As for the coats, I know that every class gets their own color (our mentors' were gray and there were other students with blue ones when I toured)... I'm excited to get started!

I'm technically an Illinois resident, but I've been floating back and forth between Montana and South Dakota for the past few years (tuition is cheaper and they have exponentially higher numbers of cattle... you can't go wrong)!
lol I guess they won't be blue then :/... Not sure who I heard it from but that may not be right. Anyways... I'll post on here the info I find out if I get down there this week. If not let me know what you find out when you are here!

I think Missy mentioned something about it being on the 28th or 29th of June. Also, I think the coats will be either gray or blue. Not sure that they've decided yet. They were experimenting with doing different colors to denote first and second years, but weren't sure what to pick for the upcoming class.
A first year I know said they will give us the option to get our rabies vaccination once we get to school or we can get the before.
Like someone else said, I'm sure we'll get all of this information in a few months (probably after April 15), but I'm anxious and excited to get started as well!!

So I called the office and asked about dates/times for the orientation and ceremony in June.

Our orientation will be at 8:30am on June 28. At the same time, another member of the faculty will be holding an orientation for any family members (parents, siblings, SO's, etc.) that want to attend. This will let them know what to expect for the next several years being the mom/dad/brother/husband/whatever of a vet student. Then at 2pm that afternoon is the coating ceremony where they present us with our lab coats and take a class picture.

My family and I will be coming to Starkville during Spring Break to look at housing options-hopefully pick something out?- and for my parents to tour the school. They're all excited. ;)

Woot. :)

lol I guess they won't be blue then :/... Not sure who I heard it from but that may not be right. Anyways... I'll post on here the info I find out if I get down there this week. If not let me know what you find out when you are here!

Haha who knows! Oh well, sounds like a plan!!

Whoops, scratch that... thanks, jalyndani!

Also, I think the coats will be either gray or blue. Not sure that they've decided yet. They were experimenting with doing different colors to denote first and second years, but weren't sure what to pick for the upcoming class.

They used to do a different coat colour for each class but supposedly have stopped doing that. I think it has something to do with cost. We (first years) have the same colour coats as the second years.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I visited Starkville on Monday to drop off my deposit check and find housing, and Dr. Meiring said that we'll have access to something called "My Courses" or something once we're " officially accepted", which current students can apparently use to post housing availabilities, among other things. Also, many of the landlords at the places I looked only have a limited number of pet-friendly 1bed/1bath apartments still available (while others say that they won't know until the end of March or the beginning of May), so if that's true and not just a ploy to try to get people to sign leases right away then I'd get looking a.s.a.p. if you can! If anyone has any questions about pet-friendly housing then feel free to ask (I have a spreadsheet and a Word document with a bunch of places listed)... hope this helps!

Cowdoc, please share this list with me! I'm going to Starkville this weekend to look around and turn in my deposit as well. I don't know how many times I'll be able to visit before June and would like to have an idea of what my housing options will be.

PM me and I'll give you my email address. Thank you! :D

Hey everyone! I visited Starkville on Monday to drop off my deposit check and find housing, and Dr. Meiring said that we'll have access to something called "My Courses" or something once we're " officially accepted", which current students can apparently use to post housing availabilities, among other things. Also, many of the landlords at the places I looked only have a limited number of pet-friendly 1bed/1bath apartments still available (while others say that they won't know until the end of March or the beginning of May), so if that's true and not just a ploy to try to get people to sign leases right away then I'd get looking a.s.a.p. if you can! If anyone has any questions about pet-friendly housing then feel free to ask (I have a spreadsheet and a Word document with a bunch of places listed)... hope this helps!

Last year, we didn't have access to My Courses until the end of May. I can't remember for sure now. "My Courses" is MSU's name for Blackboard.

As for leases getting snatched up, I think it's fairly true. I know some of my classmates have already signed new leases starting May. My landlord contacted me this week to see if I was renewing my lease and told me that normally he has all his units rented by the end of March.

For real? Everything rented by the end of this month?? o_O I don't even know what kind of extra financial aid $$ I'll have left over yet...I was thinking I would put down a deposit and sign something in May when I had a better idea of what my budget would be!

Speaking of leases, I've driven around Starkville and looked up complexes/rental properties online all day, and most of them have leases that don't even start until August 1. How do we contend with that with our June 28 start date? What are we supposed to do for the entire month of July?

I'm so confused and frustrated....

I didn't sign a lease until May because I got in off the waitlist. My parents and I just called a bunch of places, and we actually had about 5 or 6 options that would start the lease in June. You just have to call around. Everyone in our class ended up living somewhere! I know that some of my classmates are looking for roommates and are looking for someway to get in touch with your class. Do you guys have a Facebook group yet?

Ooh - I just looked. You do have a Facebook group, and that might be a good place to start. I'm not a member so I can't see what's being discussed, but since a significant number of your classmates are currently living in Starkville they could probably help!

Ali, could you at least post the link to the FB page? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you ma'am. That's weird that no one can find it. Hm.