Mississippi State c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah - I'm sure it has something to do with the settings of who can search for it. Maybe friends of friends?

Members don't see this ad.

For real? Everything rented by the end of this month?? o_O I don't even know what kind of extra financial aid $$ I'll have left over yet...I was thinking I would put down a deposit and sign something in May when I had a better idea of what my budget would be!

Speaking of leases, I've driven around Starkville and looked up complexes/rental properties online all day, and most of them have leases that don't even start until August 1. How do we contend with that with our June 28 start date? What are we supposed to do for the entire month of July?

I'm so confused and frustrated....

I wouldn't worry so much about finding a place - like AliBeth, I was called off the wait list too (April 15). I found a place by the end of April. If you need any help, or if you're not around to look at a place, feel free to drop me a message and i can go look and take photos for you.

And again, as Ali mentioned - some of my classmates are looking for roommates.

To the c/o 2015ers: I know that Hills and Purina have food programs through the school... do you get any deals on Heartgard and Frontline (a.k.a. do I stock up now while I can get it at cost, or do I use what I have and hold off buying more until classes start)? Also, do you use the school for your pets' veterinary care, or do you take them to one of the clinics in town?

Members don't see this ad :)
To the c/o 2015ers: I know that Hills and Purina have food programs through the school... do you get any deals on Heartgard and Frontline (a.k.a. do I stock up now while I can get it at cost, or do I use what I have and hold off buying more until classes start)? Also, do you use the school for your pets' veterinary care, or do you take them to one of the clinics in town?

We get a year's supply of free Advantage Multi for up to two pets. Actually, if you get Advantage Multi, it is dispensed through the Pharmacy, and you have to pay 10.00$. If you get the regular Advantage, then it's completely free.

We also get a year's supply of free Revolution for up to two pets. Though again it's dispensed through the pharmacy so we have to pay 10.00.

These products will not be dispensed until October, so you should have enough to last you until then.

Additionally, as you pointed out, we get a monthly allotment of free food from Purina and Hills. Hills is delivered to the school for pick-up and Purina is delivered to your door.

I use the school for veterinary care. They have their own pricing for students, on top of which we get 20% off. First visit is $19.00 and subsequent rechecks are $7 or $9, I can't remember exactly, plus the cost of any other procedures, etc.

Last edited:
I also use the vet school as my main clinic, and a big reason I use them is convenience. For my dog's annual physical, I just dropped her off in the morning before class (we did our initial consultation then) and then I picked her up at lunch and we did our discharge stuff.

I also get free Purina ProPlan for my dog each month, and then she's on the K9 Advantix, and I got a years supply of that for free.

I gave my deposit and acceptance form to Missy today, so it's official!! I'm going to vet school!! Yaaaay!!

Does the school's clinic do any type of boarding or is it strictly a clinic? I have a rabbit I'm hoping to bring to school with me, but being from WV I'm nervous about taking her back and forth on breaks. Thirteen hours is a long time! I am trying to decide if I need to find her another home or not. I'd really like to bring her with me, but if it's going to cause her too much stress I'll have to look at other options.

Does the school's clinic do any type of boarding or is it strictly a clinic? I have a rabbit I'm hoping to bring to school with me, but being from WV I'm nervous about taking her back and forth on breaks. Thirteen hours is a long time! I am trying to decide if I need to find her another home or not. I'd really like to bring her with me, but if it's going to cause her too much stress I'll have to look at other options.
I would think many of us would watch your rabbit when you go home. I live in Starkville and only plan on going home over christmas. Also there are a couple places here that do pet sitting. I know if I am in town I wouldn't mind watching your rabbit. :)

Not sure about boarding - however - as pointed out in another post, i'm sure you can find a classmate to look after your pets while you are away. I am from NYC and go home for breaks and so far I've always managed to find a classmate to come take care of my pets while I am gone.

Thanks so much for all of the info, hkt8646 and AliBeth87~ I appreciate it!!

I guess it was kind of silly of me to think that one of my classmates wouldn't be able to watch my rabbit! I guess I just wanted to have a plan rather than assuming someone would just be able to watch her. I forget that many of my classmates will be residents of Mississippi and maybe even from Starkville. Thanks CohenMeow and hkt! :)

I wouldn't worry so much about finding a place - like AliBeth, I was called off the wait list too (April 15). I found a place by the end of April. If you need any help, or if you're not around to look at a place, feel free to drop me a message and i can go look and take photos for you.

And again, as Ali mentioned - some of my classmates are looking for roommates.

I don't know how I missed this post.

Thanks for the info and advice on housing! I think I found a viable housing option during my trip this past week, so I'm not as panicked as I was earlier. :D

Another issue my SO and I are facing as far as housing goes is his employment status. He graduates with his PhD this year and has applied for a teaching/research position with the university. If he gets the job, we're wondering if we should/could buy a house this summer. Well, he'll be the one to buy, not poor little vet student me. :p But that's putting a kink in finalizing my housing plans. If he comes (he says he is), we'll be able to share rent/bills. If it's just me, I'll need to live as frugally as possible.

I don't know how I missed this post.

Thanks for the info and advice on housing! I think I found a viable housing option during my trip this past week, so I'm not as panicked as I was earlier. :D

Another issue my SO and I are facing as far as housing goes is his employment status. He graduates with his PhD this year and has applied for a teaching/research position with the university. If he gets the job, we're wondering if we should/could buy a house this summer. Well, he'll be the one to buy, not poor little vet student me. :p But that's putting a kink in finalizing my housing plans. If he comes (he says he is), we'll be able to share rent/bills. If it's just me, I'll need to live as frugally as possible.

Do you know when he's supposed to find out if he gets the teaching appointment? You could always rent your first year and then buy something next year. This will give you both a chance to get to know the town better and decide where you want to buy - instead of buying something without really knowing the town.

That's probably what we'll do, in all honesty. As much as I'd really like a home.

Hey, does anyone know when we're supposed to find out what our tuition will be and what amount of financial aid we'll be eligible for...? I'm trying to get my budget figured out and determine what amount of rent I can afford, but it's difficult without actual numbers.