Missouri decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey Rachel! glad to hear you'll be joining all of us!!

Thanks "RazorDoc!" (great name!) :thumbup:

I look forward to maybe seeing you this summer when we come house-hunting! I will probably have questions for you when the time gets closer, but I'll definitely check out your earlier post about housing areas & the MU web site.

Members don't see this ad.

no problem...give me a call if I can help. I'll be up here all summer (yea, all 6 weeks) doing research so I should be available any time.

Also, for all of you other Mizzou folks, in case you don't know, our Open House is scheduled for April 19. It should be a good time and a good time to see more of the school if you happen to be in the area.

hey mark! nice to "meet" you! I did look at quite a few places. I think I am just going to go with katy's place. It seemed quiet and close to campus.
Thanks for telling us about open house. I had no idea and was hoping the school would have something like that. I actually haven't toured the school in 5-6 years when I last came to the open house!

Also....hello Rachel! Welcome to our class! I am so excited to meet people!

Anyone who would like to add me on facebook...send me a PM and i'll give you my info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Stephi08! Congrats to you!

Look forward to meeting you at "camp" orientation :laugh:

no problem...give me a call if I can help. I'll be up here all summer (yea, all 6 weeks) doing research so I should be available any time

I'm going to hijack the thread for a quick second, hope you don't mind. :) I know we talked before RazorDoc, and I know that you give some great answers about Mizzou, so I'm asking you first! I know that you guys have short summers, but how do you like that? Do you feel like the school year is too long, or is the summer enough time to rest up and start the next year? Basically, how do you like this schedule?

hey again Nittany...I really like our schedule. In undergrad, I was always in summer school anyways, so the 6 weeks we get seems great to me. I think it's plenty of time to recoop, or at least be prepared to start again and it will really be worth it when we get into clinics earlier than most. So for me, it's not a problem at all (of course, everyone will gripe about a short summer but even if we had the whole thing, I'm sure we'd still gripe about it being too short!)

I would have to agree that the prospect of getting to clinics a year earlier far outweighs the benefits of sitting on my butt for an extra 8 weeks during the summer. Once you get here you will see that 6 weeks w/ nothing to do except work is plenty!

I am more of a problem based/hands on type learner, so I think I will do a lot better in that atmosphere. I hope it helps! Word on the street is from the second years is that class in the summer is not quite as difficult as during the main two semesters of first year. Probably cause there's NO MORE ANATOMY! :D Woo hoo!

The one downside to having a shorter summer is that stuff like research projects, getting a job (vet related or not vet related), etc seems to be more difficult. Plus I want at least a week for a vacation, dang it! So that kind of cuts it down to about 5 weeks being able to do something productive. Can you tell us about your research project, Mark? I'm curious. :)

heh, well from what I know right now, I'm researching GnRH and its role in decreased reproductive efficiency with aging. I'll be working with Dr. Kovarik who will be making an appearance in anatomy soon.

:( I looks like it's going to be really difficult to find a greyhound-friendly apartment.

Razordoc, are you working on research as a job? or as a part of an additional degree? Just curious ^_^

I'm working on it as part of the MU CVM Veterinary Research Scholars Program (VSRP). Basically we do some research and they pay us $4000 for it (which is a nice way for OOS to get the yearly income necessary to gain residency if they need to)

I'm working on it as part of the MU CVM Veterinary Research Scholars Program (VSRP). Basically we do some research and they pay us $4000 for it (which is a nice way for OOS to get the yearly income necessary to gain residency if they need to)

Holy crap, that's a lot more than I got for working in my research lab in the summer during grad school for 6 weeks! :eek: I may just have to do that next summer or something. Do you have to do anything additional for the program like present your data or anything? I didn't go to the one informational meeting, so I don't know the details.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea it's basically a full-time job and then we present our data at a conference, which is being held at Michigan State this year

Hey guys!

Does mizzou require students to purchase new laptops? Also, does Mizzou have a dress code? I'm going to be out of state until August so I am trying to prepare for school as much as I can right now. Thanks!

Hey Steph!

I'm sure the first year students can easily answer your questions, but Kathy Seay is coming down to Fayetteville tomorrow night for our Pre-Vet meeting & I will try to remember to ask her. I don't recall hearing anything about a laptop being required.

FF

I hope not! Maybe one of the two of us will remember to ask. I have about a million questions. Most of them I suppose will just have to wait until it's closer to time.

I hope she makes it ok with the weather.

How does getting student aid work? I completed the fafsa in February . Does mizzou tell you what you qualify for? when do I need to start worrying about this?

How does getting student aid work? I completed the fafsa in February . Does mizzou tell you what you qualify for? when do I need to start worrying about this?

I'm not sure, but I assume we will get set up on MU's email/network (something similar to ISIS?) and find out that way. I'm sure they'll let us know. I don't think the deadline for that scholarship form was until May 1st or so.

We can ask tomorrow.;)

Oh geez...I have a million questions too! Hope she comes with lots of answers! I have also been wondering about the laptop and dress code. I heard a while back something about a dress code but I think it was maybe just a rumor! :rolleyes:

Out of the three of us someone will rememer to ask! :)

I found out today they got my acceptance form and money which means...
I just signed away the next 4 years of my life! :eek: Couldn't be more excited!

Yay!

So does Keeneland Downs Allow big dogs? I hate their office hours too! Tuesday nights..

Has anyone heard of providence court? They do allow big dogs (I called), but I was just wondering if there are vet students there or if they are nice. Etc..

OK...from what has been asked, here I go...

Laptops - Mizzou does not require the purchase of a laptop. Several of us have them, but most don't (at least they don't bring them in to class). I got a Lenovo X61 Tablet and it's awesome! If you do want/need one, I would recommend getting XP and NOT Vista. If you have any questions on requirements to look for, places to look to get a good deal, email Zac March at [email protected]. He's a very helpful guy and he'll also help set up the network when you get here and your access to the shared, volatile drives, and such.

Dress Code - No formal dress code for VM1 or VM2, just don't wear stuff with tons of holes, show off too much skin, "look professional", blah blah blah. Just about every day I wear a nicer pair of jeans and a t-shirt or collared shirt so it's pretty relaxed. There are certain days when people come and we want to look nice and class presidents send out emails so we can all dress up. In clinics, they do have a dress code of shirt/tie for guys and the equivalent for girls, whatever that is. But I would say, that would be the standard across all veterinary schools. As far as I know the only 2 schools that require formal dress in the first 2 years are Miss State and Auburn.

Financial Aid - Don't worry about it until you get contacted by MU Financial Aid. They take your FAFSA and put together a package and then you accept whatever amount of loans you need for the fall semester. We do have a financial aid person (Sheila Hawkey-Page) but it is notoriously hard to get a hold of these people since they all are from main campus. And just fyi for you UofA people, the program we get grades/financial aid and that stuff from is called MyZou and is identical to ISIS.

Apartments - As far as I know, Keeneland Downs does allow bigger dogs. When I went over there, the vet student that lived there had 2 dogs and they were both bigger (like a medium sized German Shepherd). If you give me a street address for Providence Court I'll see what I can find out. There is one other place I know off the top of my head that allows dogs, but I can't remember the name right now. Supposed to be pretty nice, but may not have 1bed/1bath and they're a little farther away than most.

Let me know if yall have any more questions!

Oh geez...I have a million questions too! Hope she comes with lots of answers! I have also been wondering about the laptop and dress code. I heard a while back something about a dress code but I think it was maybe just a rumor! :rolleyes:

You don't need a laptop. I'd suspect about 20% of people have a laptop (mostly tablet PCs), but not required. The dress code is pretty much don't wear anything skanky. :rolleyes: Like nothing showing major cleavage, sleeveless is okay as long as it's not like strappy...they technically want us to only wear T-shirts with Mizzou or Mizzou Vet Med stuff on it, but that doesn't typically always happen. Every once in a while, we have a special guest to the college and it is highly suggested that you dress business casual nice, but that's not even close to being common. I don't recall exactly what you are required to wear in clinics, but business to business casual is what I usually see (like khakis and a button down shirt).

Edit: oops, what he said! :)

Make sure you tell the apartment people that you are a vet student b/c that will sometimes make them a lot more leniant about animals and the size of your dogs. Lakeside apartments are decent and they allow big dogs and are close to school. They also have a lake in the back where they could swim and stuff. I would double check about pets if you call and make sure you say your a vet student.

Guess who just bought a laptop with Vista OS? Ha Ha!
Oh well, if it's not required, I won't be hauling it to class anyway!

Thank you RazorDoc, Electrophile, & Ratbandit for all the helpful advice.

Much appreciated! :D

Oh. I have a laptop with Vista, too. It hasn't really troubled me yet...but Office 2007 is another story! Scratch the whole looking for a one person apartment. It's now a two bed room, two bathroom, greyhound friendly, washer/dryer in unit, that is relatively close to campus :) I'll definitely check out Lakeside...and Keeneland Downs (if I can ever get ahold of them to schedule an appointment).

Right now I'm looking at
Providence Court Apartments
5001 S. Providence Rd.

Columbia, MO 65203

2 bedroom/ 2 bath...big dog friendly...$780 all utilities paid.

You guys are so awesome and helpful! Thanks a bunch!

Oh hey! Lakeside apartments are managed by the same folks who manage the providence court apartments!

Cool...I'll see if anyone knows anything about Providence Court. I've got Vista on my tablet too so you can make it work, it just frustrated me big time in the beginning.

hey everyone.. as the deadline approaches for people to get in there acceptance answer i grow more and more anxious as i wait to be called off the waitlist.. i was just wondering of the people who got accepted for class of 2012, who is out of state ? i'm just trying to figure out my chances

thanx and i'm so jealous of u guys i want to be looking at apartments right now... hopefully soon :0)

I'm an OOS applicant so is FelineFanatic (Rachel). doglver888 (Anna) is a MO resident. I hope you hear from them soon! I think Kathy said she had only heard from 8 OOS people so far. She also said how many people she's go on the wait list, but I can't remember. :(

I've got my fingers crossed for you! :luck:

Hey Everybody! Congrats on getting accepted to MU! I am currently a 1st year and I am looking for roommates for next year. I live in a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath duplex. It is about 10 minutes or less from school. I have 2 dogs (a great dane and english bulldog mix) and 2 cats so I would want someone who doesn't have any pets (you can just pretend my pets are yours:)). So if you are interested let me know and I can give you more info. Congrats again!!

Hey!
I have a roommate already, but you might ask the students on the Mizzou Class of 2012 facebook group :D

hey, does anyone know how far into the waitlist missouri has gotten so far?, the last i heard was number 14

anxiously waiting and hoping

I dunno about how far the waitlist has moved.

I AM starting to panic b/c my check I mailed for the deposit 3 weeks ago still hasn't cleared. What if they didn't get it & now it's past the 15th & I've turned all of my other acceptances down? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

*Breathe*

Ok, I just emailed Kathy about it. I hope she replies soon.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya DogLover824:luck:

I don't know about the waitlist either, but best of luck to you! :luck:

Haha...Rachel the same thing happened to me! Kathy will know for sure...but it took them over 3 weeks to get mine cashed. I was starting to really believe it was lost in the mail! They told me they wouldn't give my spot away until they heard for sure that I was NOT coming even if it was after the deadline. So don't panic just yet! They would more than likely call you if they haven't heard from you. I bet they're swamped with acceptance/rejection letters. She also said they forgot to ask for our social securities on the supplemental...so they have to request that to be able to match our fafsas up and tells us what loans are available etc.

Yay, I just got a reply from Kathy. They got my check, it just hasn't gone through the campus system yet!
:laugh:

just an update, looks like they filled all out of state positions off the wait list and i am not one of them... looks like i will be re-applying next year :0(

oh man, sorry DogLover...don't give up, and let me know if I can answer any questions for you! We'd love to have you here!