Missouri Supplemental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSJ

Michigan State CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my missouri supplemental application and have a question about entering courses.
For example, the school requires 6 credits in English and I have more than 6. Do I list all of them, or just 6 credits worth?

The direction are:
List below only the required courses you have completed or plan to complete before the end of the next spring semester. If a course is used to fulfill one catgory or subject, it cannot be used to fulfill a second requirement.

And there are two columns, I says " Minimum semester hours" and it lists 6 (for English and changes on catagory ) and the second column is "Earned hours as reported by applicant."
It sounds like you put all the courses that fall into that catagory, right?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I loved Missouri's campus. BEAUTIFUL facilities and they have an in-state buy-in sort of program: in other words your first year of vet school can count as in state residence and you can potentially get in state tuition for years 2-3 (provided you change voter registration, drivers license and make like $2000 in that year)...at least that's what I remember from my interview last January. It's a great school.

To me, it seems like you are supposed to enter only the ones that fulfill the requirements, then list the credit hours of the other courses.

Eg:

Course Credit hours Total hours in subject

English Comp 3
Literature 3 12

But if you are truly in doubt I would enter more rather than less. But I think they just want the requirements. I would give them a call. I'm sure they would be glad to help you out!

This didn't format the way I'd hoped, but hopefully you can figure out what I meant!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call the school and ask. I called the schools I was applying to a few times while filling out my supplementals and I often found that the school had a specific way they wanted the information entered. Most schools were very helpful, though sometimes they had to take my name and phone number to have someone who knew the answer call me back later.

Beagingese --Do you know any other schools/states that allow an out of state student to get in state tuition in later years? I know that Iowa State and K State definitely don't. It seems to me that this may be a possibility at UC Davis. Anyone know of any others? Thanks!

I believe it doesn't even allow you to enter additional courses once you've hit the # of required hours (I could be wrong - all those supplemental applications become a blur after a while!)

Thanks. I figured it out... they let you add a few credits over the minimum required (if 10 is required and you have 4 , 3 credit classes they will let you do 12.)
I agree though...these supplementals all become a blurr! Why do we even fill out the VMCAS for these schools if they just want us to repeat everything!?

I think I listed as many credits as I could under each subject. Take your time on the supp. b/c that's what they are looking at during your interviews!!

Am I the only one who didn't see the paragraph about how you had to have been a full time student at least one semester in the last 5 years? I feel ill.

There is nothing I could have done, I had a mortgage and undergrad loans to pay and taking off a whole semester was out of the question, but I really wish I had seen it earlier i.e. before I paid VMCAS. I put in for a waiver but I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to find out, Ms. Seay was very nice but not hopeful. Bleah!

Am I the only one who didn't see the paragraph about how you had to have been a full time student at least one semester in the last 5 years? I feel ill.

Crap. I didn't see it either. Lovely.

I agree though...these supplementals all become a blurr! Why do we even fill out the VMCAS for these schools if they just want us to repeat everything!?
My guess is either to annoy us, weed us out, to get more money, or some sort of poor attempt at trying to maintain a sense of independence from a time before the VMCAS.

I have to say though that some supplemental apps aren't so bad. On the other hand, after seeing the ones by Cornell, Missouri, and Iowa, I was incredibly insulted. It is obvious that they do not care about the fact that all that information is in my VMCAS application. It is obvious that they do not care that I had already spent approximately 100 just to get the application to them. In fact, it is obvious that they seem to only care about half of our work.

At a time in my semester in which I am stretched as far as I can stretch with responsibilities for school and then applications I could say a few more, harsher words. Needless to say, if I saw this coming I would not have applied to these three schools at all.

>>>>>Am I the only one who didn't see the paragraph about how you had to have been a full time student at least one semester in the last 5 years? I feel ill.

There is nothing I could have done, I had a mortgage and undergrad loans to pay and taking off a whole semester was out of the question, but I really wish I had seen it earlier i.e. before I paid VMCAS. I put in for a waiver but I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to find out, Ms. Seay was very nice but not hopeful. Bleah!<<<<

-----

so should i not bother sending in this supplemental and save myself $60?? seriously-its been a lot longer than 5 years since i was a full time student, its only been p/t classes at night and work full time. if they wont even consider me, i dont want to send them my $60!!!

Well, it is only an hour and a half to the deadline so this may not be helpful, but Ms. Seay told me when I called that they rarely give waivers on the semester thing, but that of course she could not say what they would do. I was also hoping they would decide before the deadline so I could save the 60$, but she said that the committee wanted to discuss waivers together and could not meet until after the deadline. I went ahead and applied, but with every expectation of losing my money. Thank god I applied to other schools! I do hope that next year this requirement is put in a nice bold font on the Missouri VMCSR page.

I spoke to her earlier yesterday and she advised me NOT to bother with the supplemental. I guess I appreciate her being honest, but I feel kind of dissed now. oh well. yea, I applied to other schools also but now I'm worried about things being inadequate for them. eh well. we'll see.

I'm so sorry to hear what you guys are going through. :( That is awful. Where did they display this information that you needed to be a full time student for at least one semester during the past five years? And where did they not display this information that they should have?

As someone else said, you'd think something this important (and non-negotiable) would be right up front in bold lettering...

its kinda deep in the main admissions info site here:
http://vetmed.missouri.edu/prep-undergrad.htm

and its on the supplemental on the FAQ page. I guess I just didn't see it. at least I applied to several other schools and I was not really countin on Mizzou anyway.

i cant help but feel a bit dissed tho, as if there's a bit of age discrimination going on there. esp cuz they have that 'early acceptance' thing....hrmm

Update, I got a letter today telling me that they were not waiving the "full time semester in last 5 years" requirement and that my app was out. I knew there was a good chance they wouldn't, but I had already invested in the VCMAS app. $$ so I sent it in anyways.

Just a heads up to people who sent it in too. And I plan on sending a polite but scathing letter about the inappropriateness of burying this requirement in a FAQ section, instead of having it clearly stated on the VCMAS school requirement sheets. And threaten age discrimination, heh heh. Ok, not really but the requirement does seem to favor the just out of school applicants.

And 4 essays? That's just mean:smuggrin:

Sorry guys... :( My application to Mizzou wasn't all fun and games either for various reasons. I am not a fan of the early admittance program either.

Guess that means my rejection is on its way too. Ugh. Seriously, they need to make the requirement MUCH more obvious. Between the supplemental fee and the VMCAS fee, that's what, like $120 wasted?! It's too bad - the 2 years of clinical sounded appealing.

It's not that appealing when you only get 6 weeks for summer break...I am just not going to want to be in class come June.