Some advice on school supplemental essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osfguey

Reaction score
I am getting started on my applications and just wanting to see if anyone would be able to give me some advice. Like what kind of stories would be good and what would be bad? For example, if they want me to describe a situation about something, but did not specify vet or non-vet related, which direction should I go?
Anything would be helpful!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am applying too this cycle maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other!

Members don't see this ad :)
For sure! I don’t have any idea now tho. Have you started writing them yet?
Yes! I mostly started like word vomiting ideas and stuff and then refining it as I have been going.

Pick an experience that speaks to you and what you learned. I talked exclusively about my time in residence life during my interview. I didn't mention any vet experience.

Reactions: 1 users
It took me ages to write my supplemental app response because of how short but probing the questions are. My advice is to first figure out what the question is asking or why they are asking it. (e.g. describe a time you failed = tell us about how you handle adversity and what you did to overcome it). You can then brainstorm any story you have that might fit and choose one. If you start writing the response and it isn't working try choosing one of the other stories. You can also try to balance your responses to multiple prompts for a single school so that they highlight different experiences. It helps to have someone you trust read your essays and talk through your writing with you.

Reactions: 1 user
It took me ages to write my supplemental app response because of how short but probing the questions are. My advice is to first figure out what the question is asking or why they are asking it. (e.g. describe a time you failed = tell us about how you handle adversity and what you did to overcome it). You can then brainstorm any story you have that might fit and choose one. If you start writing the response and it isn't working try choosing one of the other stories. You can also try to balance your responses to multiple prompts for a single school so that they highlight different experiences. It helps to have someone you trust read your essays and talk through your writing with you.
Hi! Would you be able to help dissect Tufts question, I'm having trouble trying to understand what is it asking for, specifically "Be sure we learn about YOU through the possession you choose." For reference, I am writing about my comfort object and was wondering how does this relate to vet med?

What is your most cherished possession? What makes it meaningful to you? Be sure we learn about YOU through the possession you choose. (Please do not use an animal, veterinary, or science theme.)

Thank you!

Hi! Would you be able to help dissect Tufts question, I'm having trouble trying to understand what is it asking for, specifically "Be sure we learn about YOU through the possession you choose." For reference, I am writing about my comfort object and was wondering how does this relate to vet med?

What is your most cherished possession? What makes it meaningful to you? Be sure we learn about YOU through the possession you choose. (Please do not use an animal, veterinary, or science theme.)

Thank you!
I enjoy asking these questions during interviews because it forces you to really show something about yourself that hopefully connects with me (your interviewer). Sometimes there are stories behind the item you pick that reveal something about what you value. They are saying not to choose something related to an animal, science, or a veterinary theme, so you can't do something like a charm you are wearing with a picture of your favorite pet. It can be something you created in an art class, or something gifted to you that you leave on your desk as a reminder of a supportive relative. I presume there is a story behind why the object is associated with the meaningful relationship or moment.

What is the character limit you have to work against?

For reference, I am writing about my comfort object and was wondering how does this relate to vet med?
It shouldn't relate to vet med. They're trying to get a sense of you as a person. Is it something that you value because it reminds you of a special moment? A special person? Something you achieved? Something you failed at but learned a lot from? There's no wrong answer here because they're really just trying to learn about you.

Reactions: 3 users
It shouldn't relate to vet med. They're trying to get a sense of you as a person. Is it something that you value because it reminds you of a special moment? A special person? Something you achieved? Something you failed at but learned a lot from? There's no wrong answer here because they're really just trying to learn about you.
I agree with the above. The question is about the balance you have in your interests and they're also giving you an opportunity to talk about yourself in a way you wouldn't normally do on the application.

Tufts usually hosts discussion panels over the summer and some of the panels talk about application tips (Summer Panel Series | Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine). A lot of the advice is helpful for applying to other schools as well. Looks like this year there's a panel on July 13th that will specifically cover essay writing advice.

I enjoy asking these questions during interviews because it forces you to really show something about yourself that hopefully connects with me (your interviewer). Sometimes there are stories behind the item you pick that reveal something about what you value. They are saying not to choose something related to an animal, science, or a veterinary theme, so you can't do something like a charm you are wearing with a picture of your favorite pet. It can be something you created in an art class, or something gifted to you that you leave on your desk as a reminder of a supportive relative. I presume there is a story behind why the object is associated with the meaningful relationship or moment.

What is the character limit you have to work against?
the character limit is 3000. your comment was really helpful! i really appreciate it, thank you so much!

Hey everyone! I am back with another question because I've been stuck on this question for the longest time... embarrassing
How am I supposed to approach this question? Is this question essentially about diversity? I appreciate any feedbacks, and thank you in advance!!

How has your culture and/or personal ideology shaped your perspectives on the veterinary medical (general medical, research, etc) field(s)?