Missouri VS Illinois - Last minute OOS waitlist acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melsinge

Reaction score
Hello! I have found myself in a sticky situation. I was OOS accepted to Illinois right after my interview and was waitlisted at Missouri. I just was pulled off the OOS waitlist at Missouri due to a last minute drop out.

Here’s where it gets sticky for me. Missouri is roughly $80,000 cheaper for tuition due to gaining residency after year 1. However, I have signed a lease in Illinois, registered for classes, purchased supplies from SAVMA, etc etc. I was completely on track for Illinois, but now I am questioning if I should keep on track for Illinois or change courses and go with Missouri.

Please help, any insight at all would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah this is so tough. But I would say absolutely go with mizzou. With interest and living costs you’ll save much more than 80k over the years. It’s certainly not unheard of to make a last minute switch to another school as far as I know. And all in all I think Illinois will understand. It’s only May so I think you have time to flip it all around :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am a pre-vet student applying to vet school this year, but I'm sure this is a time-sensitive decision so I'll do my best to give you some advice! First off, $80,000 is such a significant amount of money, I would really really consider going to Missouri. Are you able to break your lease in Illinois though? Are the SAVMA supplies you purchased refundable? Even if you need to pay a fine to break the lease and you have to keep the SAVMA supplies without a refund, that would really be worth it in my opinion to save $80,000 in the long run. In four years from now, do you think you'll look back and say that the hassle of having to scramble to catch up to your Missouri classmates with finding a house/apartment and getting supplies and completing registration was worth saving $80,000? I see this as sort of a temporary issue with long-term ramifications because you'll be paying off that extra $80,000 for years, but you'll have this issue sorted out by August. But that's a question you'll have to ask yourself because I don't know what drew you to Illinois and if you have family closer to there or if there are any other extenuating circumstances that would really make switching to Missouri a bad decision. Congrats on getting off the waitlist, and I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As an OOS Illinois peep, go to Mizzou. Even if you lose every cent you've invested into Illinois, its pocket change to the long term savings you'll get by going to Mizzou. As much as I love my school, I would've picked a cheaper option had I had one.

Congrats! :D

Definitely don't go to Illinois, there are some sketchy people there ;)

Joking aside, agree with the previous posts. I know sometimes breaking a lease can be complicated, but if you can make the logistics work, whatever costs that remain associated with having established things in Illinois are going to be nothing compared to that 80k (plus interest if you're using loans). I hope everything works out for you so you can accept your spot at Mizzou!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I am happy to say I’m attending Missouri in the fall! Truly could not pass up that cost differential. I appreciate everyone’s input! :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Also, if you can’t break your lease for X amount of dollars, you could always see if your complex would let you find someone new to lease it and then post on the free/for sale page?

Definitely contact savma and see about cancelling your order! Usually orders are due in June IIRC so they may be able to just shred your check and cancel your stuff
Already contacted them and they were able to cancel it and shred the check luckily! So grateful that they are flexible!

• Love
Also, if you can’t break your lease for X amount of dollars, you could always see if your complex would let you find someone new to lease it and then post on the free/for sale page?
I am waiting to hear from their legal team to see if maybe there is an amount I can pay, but I’m not hopefully. I will definitely be trying to find a subleaser if they don’t allow me to cancel! Thank you so much for your advice & help!! Seriously it is so appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user