Mistake in EK verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireandice9898

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that there is a mistake in the scaling for EK verbal 101 passages. Is this true? If so, how would you get an more accurate score when taking one of their exams?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that there is a mistake in the scaling for EK verbal 101 passages. Is this true? If so, how would you get an more accurate score when taking one of their exams?

The mistake is if you are using the scaled scores for 60 or 40 questions on the wrong exam. If you have 40 questions in each test and a scale of 40 questions it's correct or vice versa.

Some people recommend using the scale from AAMC practice exam 10, but I don't think it matters as long as your taking the AAMC practice exams. Just shoot for perfect, if you're not there keep working to improve. ;)

Just as a side question. How long was it till people saw improvement in their verbal scores using EK 101 passages?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through about 6 full length EK 101 practice tests and never did better than a 51/60 (which I think is an 11). Most of them, all except one or two, I got a 10. I didn't seem to improve at all.

On the three official practice tests I took, I got two 12s and an 11. I just took the real thing today and think I got a 12 or better, but who knows?

I do think the 101 passages are great practice though. Most of what I learned is how to identify questions that are likely to be less straightforward, and how to choose a best answer quickly and move on so that I could finish with 10+ minutes left to review all of my unsure answers. Well, that was mostly the computer aamc tests, but I still think the EK 101 passages were good practice.