mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostatsea00

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I think I've made a terrible mistake in coming to the clinical psychology program that I have chosen. I love the coursework and still very much want to be a clinical psychologist, but my mentor is already turning out to be a nightmare and the location of the school is an area I thought I would be able to adjust to, but I am miserable here. I know many people do not have sympathy for the "well then why did you apply there?" cases, but this was the only program I got into and I thought I would be able to adjust to the environment. I was first alternate last year at a very competitive program with a mentor that I absolutely loved and I am wondering if it is sheer madness to leave my current program and reapply to the program I wanted to go to originally? If I were to take such a drastic step, would I first need to resign from the program and then apply elsewhere? Or would I stay in the program while still being forthcoming with the DCT about my intentions? Or would I ask to switch labs within my school? I realize this seems drastic, but I worry about getting too far into the program and being in an even bigger mess than I am now. I wonder if it is wise to just nip it in the bud, be proactive, and leave. Just in a bit of panic mode right now and would love feedback.
The first step should be to talk to your mentor and see if there is some way to fix this situation.

After that, probably talk to the DCT and see if they can ameliorate the situation. If not, ask if you can switch labs, which is often doable, but difficult, as they have to work out the funding and number of lab member issues.

I wouldn't drop out or apply to another program before trying this kind of remediation. Even then, I don't know if any other program would take you. How are they going to know that you won't do the same thing in their program and waste their time and money as well?

What would you do in their situation? Take a student who has already demonstrated they are willing to drop out of their grad program when things get tough or a new student who doesn't come with this baggage?

Yes, as @psych.meout suggested, try talking with your mentor first and discuss your concerns. BUT, if you feel uncomfortable talking with your mentor, schedule a meeting with the program director (DCT) to discuss your concerns about your mentor and your difficulty adjusting to the environment. The DCT should hopefully provide some options while keeping your discussion with him/her confidential.

Absolute last resort is dropping out of the program, but I'd strongly suggest avoiding this option if possible. Good luck, and feel free sending me a message if you need more guidance!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, how long have been in this program?

Upon re-reading, it sounds like you just started this year. If so, it's a bit soon to make any judgments about adjustment to the program or the area. You've been in school for what, a bit more than a month? Everyone has doubts, feels overwhelmed, and has an impostor complex at first, but you have to give yourself substantial time to adjust.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, to add to other posters. The last resort should be getting your masters and then dropping out. Might as well leave with something that will get you licensed as a midlevel in some states as a fallback.

The first year can be a tough adjustment. I don't think it's all that unusual for new Ph.D. students to have that "OMG what have I gotten myself into" moment after the first few weeks (or just after the first midterms). Pause. Like others have done, I encourage you to talk to your mentor, to students farther along in the program, and to your DCT. Moving from one PhD program to another is rare, short of certain unusual circumstances (eg, your mentor leaving for another institution unexpectedly).

If attempts to work things out with your advisor don't pan out, you might be able to switch advisors within your program. This is generally much more feasible than gaining admission to another program after dropping out.

But, I agree with the above, the transition is brutal and things might feel more manageable in a semester or two.

Good luck.

If this is OP's first year, asking to switch advisors a month in likely would not reflect well on them. That's a good way to get a reputation as a needy/demanding snowflake.

I woundn't even talk to the advisor first. I'd talk to the other lab members. If advisor is actually a "nightmare" they would be that for everyone, and others likely have ways of managing them. If their ways of managing the advisor are things like avoidance, then you have a lab culture issue that needs to be addressed with a wider lens than just your interactions with the advisor. If others do not have the same problem, consider what you are bringing to the interaction that may be damaging the relationship or interactions. e.g., How is how you interact w advisor similar to or different from how others do?

Reactions: 3 users