mistakes found in EMT-B text book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrcapslock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found a mistake in my EMT-B textbook. I'm using the Prehospital Emergency Care Brady 8th edition and I think I found a mistake.

It says glucose is the only energy for brain which isn't true because ketone bodies also provide energy (for ppl who are fasting). They emphasized "only" also.

I was wondering if anybody here on forums also found more mistakes?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently found a mistake in my EMT-B textbook. I'm using the Prehospital Emergency Care Brady 8th edition and I think I found a mistake.

It says glucose is the only energy for brain which isn't true because ketone bodies also provide energy (for ppl who are fasting). They emphasized "only" also.

That's not a mistake. The brain can only use glucose. The rest of the body can use ketones to produce ATP. Remember that a triacyglycerol consists of glycerol and three fatty acids. The fatty acids can't be used to produce glucose, but they glycerol can. So even if you don't take in any glucose, you can still produce a limited amount.

That's not a mistake. The brain can only use glucose. The rest of the body can use ketones to produce ATP. Remember that a triacyglycerol consists of glycerol and three fatty acids. The fatty acids can't be used to produce glucose, but they glycerol can. So even if you don't take in any glucose, you can still produce a limited amount.

Textbook is wrong, brain can use ketones but prefers glucose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Textbook is wrong, brain can use ketones but prefers glucose.

I stand corrected. I mixed up some information. The brain can use ketones, but not fatty acids. Muscle can use glucose, ketones, or fatty acids.

I think the textbook is fine. Ketone bodies, produced by the metabolism of fatty acids, can cross the blood-brain barrier but are not an adequate substitution for glucose. The brain maintains some need for glucose even during ketosis. Given that brain cannot properly function in the complete and long term absence of glucose, it is likely the only source of fuel prehospital personnel need to concern themselves with.

anybody see anymore questionable things in the text?

anybody see anymore questionable things in the text?

Unless your EMT instructor is giving you extra credit for finding these little details, I think the book will be just fine for your EMT class.

I used the same book. My complaints were in the automatic test questions that the publishers give, though. There are A LOT of stupid and hypocritical questions/answers.

yeah, there are a lot of crappy questions.

Like what?

There was one question to the effect of "You enter the scene of a 68 year old woman who has attempted suicide. She is breathing at 6 times a minute and the gun is still in her hand. What is your first step in the course of action?"

Choices of answers included waiting for the police to arrive, providing care with the gun in her hand, or removing the gun.

Correct answer: remove the gun because she will die if you don't start PPV.

First of all, in the scene size up you see that there's a gun... so you don't proceed (according to the book). So, how do you know that her resp rate is 6? You check vitals AFTER the scene is safe and AFTER the initial assessment. Sure, the resp rate makes her a VERY high priority, but are you going to try to pull the gun out of someone's hand when you don't know their alertness level or anything?

There was one question to the effect of "You enter the scene of a 68 year old woman who has attempted suicide. She is breathing at 6 times a minute and the gun is still in her hand. What is your first step in the course of action?"

Choices of answers included waiting for the police to arrive, providing care with the gun in her hand, or removing the gun.

Correct answer: remove the gun because she will die if you don't start PPV.

First of all, in the scene size up you see that there's a gun... so you don't proceed (according to the book). So, how do you know that her resp rate is 6? You check vitals AFTER the scene is safe and AFTER the initial assessment. Sure, the resp rate makes her a VERY high priority, but are you going to try to pull the gun out of someone's hand when you don't know their alertness level or anything?

This question may be very stupid but get used to them because National Registry asks a LOT of questions like this. You can eyeball someone's respiratory rate and get a rough idea of what it is. Obviously though any question like this is just a scene safety question to make sure you answer "get the hell out of there".

I understand that you can see the slow resp rate from a distance, but the book makes it clear that you assess that AFTER the scene is safe, you've taken BSI, you've done your initial assessment, and you've done a rapid/focused trauma assessment. If the scene isn't safe, then you don't continue, according to the book.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that you can see the slow resp rate from a distance, but the book makes it clear that you assess that AFTER the scene is safe, you've taken BSI, you've done your initial assessment, and you've done a rapid/focused trauma assessment. If the scene isn't safe, then you don't continue, according to the book.

And the book is correct.

But the answer given by the book was to try to remove the gun from the scene.

I used the same book. My complaints were in the automatic test questions that the publishers give, though. There are A LOT of stupid and hypocritical questions/answers.

Do you mean "hypothetical"?

hyp·o·crit·i·cal (hĭp'ə-krĭt'ĭ-kəl)
adj.
1. an abnormally low level of criticism
2. below critical, subcritical

Antonyms: hypercritical, supracritical

Regardless of whether the point is right, chances are, you're not going to be providing glucose vs. ketone care in a pre-hospital role.

I provide ketone, peroxyacid, and aldehyde care. We're a very progressive service. :D

hyp·o·crit·i·cal (hĭp'ə-krĭt'ĭ-kəl)
adj.
1. an abnormally low level of criticism
2. below critical, subcritical

Antonyms: hypercritical, supracritical
The more common definition that I've actually heard this used as is as follows:

hyp·o·crit·i·cal (hĭp'ə-krĭt'ĭ-kəl) pronunciation
adj.

1. Characterized by hypocrisy: hypocritical praise.
2. Being a hypocrite: a hypocritical rogue.

The more common definition that I've actually heard this used as is as follows:

hyp·o·crit·i·cal (hĭp'ə-krĭt'ĭ-kəl) pronunciation
adj.

1. Characterized by hypocrisy: hypocritical praise.
2. Being a hypocrite: a hypocritical rogue.
I know, I was just being facetious :smuggrin: